Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How Do You Find Local Eggs for Sale ?

Last post Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:17 AM by kt07734. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 28 2009 11:32 AM

How Do You Find Local Eggs for Sale ?

I won't say where I buy eggs (it's one of the markets I go to), but the last box of eggs are nowhere near as fresh as I like. They are what Mom would've called "old and not too good".

I have decided to bite the bullet and buy local eggs even if they are a little more expensive than the going price at the grocery store.

I have a call into the hairdresser who does Mom's hair. Her Mom raises chickens for eggs. There is a possibility that I might not be able to get them from her.

If I lived near Michelle, I would get in touch with her because she has eggs for sale. Since she's in Michigan and I'm in Virginia, that doesn't work too well.

• Wed, Jan 28 2009 12:02 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: How Do You Find Local Eggs for Sale ?

If you can't find any advertised, go to Local Harvest and search for eggs. Not everyone is listed, but you might find someone there. I've found local sources through it that I never knew existed. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jan 28 2009 12:04 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I buy from a friend. I did daycare for her kids. She sells them to me for $2 a dozen. I get two very other week. They are delicious. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 28 2009 9:38 PM In reply to

I have a friend who lives near a farmer, so I am lucky to get really fresh ones.

You might put a small ad in the paper, or perhaps call your state's Extension Service. Or if you can find anyone who sells at a farmers' market, they might know. The only other thing I can think of (long shot) would be to call a store that supplies feed and farms. 

I would send you some, too, but not sure how they would fare coming from Vermont.

Seaturtle

• Wed, Jan 28 2009 9:55 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... and thanks for listing this site - I found a newly opened organic eatery that I will have to try next month with my mother.

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 12:05 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

You're welcome. I'm glad you found something you liked. No eggs, though? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Jan 29 2009 12:29 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

a lot of people who come here heard from some one else ,  word of mouth ...

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Jan 29 2009 3:22 AM In reply to

I found several places to buy eggs that were 20 some miles from my house.

I also found out that the local famer's market sells eggs from May-December. The farmer's market in Williamsburg and in Mathews sell eggs also. Trouble is the farmer's markets close in the fall.

I'm still looking for eggs locally.

Thanks for the link.

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 8:35 AM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I live in the country and see signs advertising eggs for sale whenever I drive into one of the nearby towns.  Around here, they usually cost about $1.50 per dozen but this time of year it's not easy to find them.  In summer, there are signs all over the place.

• Thu, Jan 29 2009 9:28 AM In reply to

Have you tried Craigslist for your area?  I noticed last fall there were farmers advertising eggs for sale on ours.  A few months before butchering time they'll also advertise meat (like 1/2 a side of beef, etc.) that you can reserve for butcher.

Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us