Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What triggers your overspending?

Last post Wed, Jan 28 2009 9:36 PM by MarthaMFI. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 9:15 AM

What triggers your overspending?

When it comes to spending money, I have not been the most disciplined person!  This year, I decided to save money by plugging all the leaks in my wallet.

I'd been doing pretty well - but the last 24 hours really challenged me to stay on track. After some reflection this morning, I realized that:

• I was stressed about money, which then made me feel poor and deprived, which made me want to run into a store, any store, and buy myself a feel-good purchase.
    • Between last night and this morning, another situation reared its ugly head - I was feeling so stressed/ upset that I decided that I needed to get out of the house.  Can you guess where I wanted to go?  Yep, you guessed it - I wanted to get me some retail therapy!

Thankfully, I resisted the urge on both occasions.  When I had my "spendthrift attack" in town yesterday, I decided to return home before I got myself in trouble.  When my urge to go to shopping hit this morning,  I decided to put down my car keys and get busy.  I gave myself a pedicure, went on to some minor sewing repairs, then got to work with a shelf lining project!  I'm glad I caught myself and channeled my emotional energy into more productive uses!

It really got me to thinking about what triggers my overspending, and what I can do to avoid it!   I am a very emotional shopper - I need to avoid shopping situations when I'm in a very good mood or in a bad mood!  

What are your triggers?  And how do you manage those triggers to avoid overspending?

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 9:30 AM In reply to

Re: What triggers your overspending?

I overspend only if I have time to myself to go to Wal-Mart and look around instead of just getting in and out.  Otherwise, I don't spend that much. That's why I make a list as I need things and only go when it's absolutely necessary (out of pull-ups, wipes, milk,etc.)  If I'm stressed at work (yesterday is a good example) I want chocolate and a Pepsi and I'll make a CVS run.  Someone brought me a box of chocolate yesterday so I dug in after I ate lunch, no Pepsi, but it was good!  I had to go the bank and get money to buy lunch because of trying to schedule DD's dr. appt. yesterday morning and not knowing whether I'd be at work at lunch hour. Being depressed and stressed used to send me shopping, even if just to the Dollar Store, to "make me happy" and I would eat way too much as well. 

Now when I get stressed at home, I get on the internet and plan my Disney vacation.  I know it'll cost money when the time comes, but I'm saving that money now by not eating too much and buying stuff I don't need!

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 9:44 AM In reply to

When are you planning to go to Disney?  We went to WDW in late August last year, stayed on Disney property thanks to the free dining offer and had a blast.  Not a cheap vacation, but the memories of what might be our only big family trip (my parents, sis, bil and their kids plus my family) were well worth the money!

Good luck with your planning!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 10:03 AM In reply to

Dear All, When there is only $50 left in my checking account -- as a person on Medicaid & Food Stamps, I cannot have a savings account, I do my very best to stop spending.  I count teh VISA payment I owe in the expenditures that bring me down hovering near $50.  It is a very simple method.  I NEVER carry a blance on VISA.  However, there wss one month recently when I had to wait for my Social Security to come in on the 3rd before I could pay the VISA off -- it is due about the 20th.  I go directly to the issuing bank -- Chase WaMu, it's now called -- which happens also to be my own bank, & pay the entire bill off. 

That one month was a wake-up call that I must be ever vigilant to check my VISA account online frequently, to make sure that I have enough in my checking account to pay off the full balance at the end of the month (ie, before the bill arrives around the 5th of the month).

Back to the point of overspending, I do it when I have failed to budget into given months ahead things that I want to buy, & instead satisfy a mere desire too early.  My public benefits pay for everything I really need, with the exception of very low premium & co-payments onmy Medicare Part D drug plan, & teh payment for monthly cab scrip.

Yorus in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:01 AM In reply to

I think for me if I get the money together for an item that I need then the case of I wanna's comes over me. If I do buy anything I will usuly take it back to the store the next day.

cyn

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:08 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

My triggers are watching those HGTV home designer shows. I start thinking about all those neat ideas and things I want to change around the house. We are, for the most part Do-It -Yourself people and are used to cutting costs but its not "Cost Effective" if you have too many project going on at once. We're getting ready to commit to a flooring project done by a contractor, who has a good reputation. Part of me says "I've waited this long, what's one more year?" and another part of me says "This guy may really need this contract". I believe in one good deed/decision multiplying outward. My other trigger is visiting a cross stitch website that carries a lot of beautiful designs that I want. I force myself to get off the computer and visit my own stash of beautiful projects.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:26 AM In reply to

My trigger is when I have extra money to spend.  I can always think of something that I want!

Andrea 

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 12:33 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

The grocery store!  I'm especially bad when I see things marked down on Manager's Special.  The items never get thrown out so I guess it's not such a bad thing because I either use it right away  or freeze. I have a hard time sticking to my list when I find these specials and they are always better then sale prices.

• Tue, Jan 27 2009 12:45 PM In reply to

Cataloges and magazines with fall items and summer items used to be a big trigger. I am better (but not perfect) now. Seeing a fall clothing catalog used to send me straight to the internet with my credit card!

A "girls day out" shopping trip each November used to trigger overspending until I only took cash. When it was gone, I was done shopping.

A trip to Target or Walgreen's by myself is a huge trigger. I can talk myself into about anything when it's just me, lol. Having 2 toddlers with me curbs the trigger--I just want to get in and out.

Erika
  • Tue, Jan 27 2009 1:19 PM In reply to

Toni B.:
    My triggers are watching those HGTV home designer shows. I start thinking about all those neat ideas and things I want to change around the house. We are, for the most part Do-It -Yourself people and are used to cutting costs but its not "Cost Effective" if you have too many project going on at once.

That's also one of mine which is why I'm $11K in debt to Home Depot and that cc is currently frozen in a 4 " thick block of ice. We plan to put a stockaide fence around 3 sides of the back yard (1 neighbor already has a stockaide fence so that side's taken care of) this summer that will definately be a DIY project with me teaching ds#2&3 how to install a fence. Thankfully when it's done we'll be able to let the dog run loose in the back yard with out the chance of him taking off.

My other big one is spending too much time in a clearance aisle. I would have never spent $9 a package on the lights I bought over the weekend for ds's graduation but $.30 a package was a price I liked a lot and I'm pretty sure I grabbed a few more packages than I needed. I did the same thing @ Home Depot last year when their Christmas decorations were 75% off buying almost too many for the yard to hold (42' x32'). I've found graudation presents for all 3 ds' and dd#2 in the clearance aisle @ big lots buying them and tossing them in the closet. I often have to tell myself that I don't need that right now even if it's a great price then walk (run) from the aisle.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us