Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What is the cost of skinless boneless chicken breasts in your area?

Last post Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:57 PM by jayashiangel. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 24 2009 5:10 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

What is the cost of skinless boneless chicken breasts in your area?

Since the price of groceries has a big impact on our finances I thought I would throw this out there in the forum world!   It is amazing what some of you can get poultry for!!

I choose chicken breasts since it is a common item I see popping up in discussions that seems to have wide range of prices.

Here the cheapest on sale frozen chicken breasts by case of about 5-6lbs. is $2.99 a lb. reg price 3.99 - 4.99

fresh breasts $5 - $7-8 a lb.

granted there is no waste but pricey!  needless to say I buy frozen.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Jan 24 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: What is the cost of skinless boneless chicken breasts in your area?

My local Mennonite store has been selling boneless chicken breasts for $1.69 per lb. I believe they are from local farms. Usually 3 to 5 breasts per package. I used to buy bags of frozen breasts until the price started going up.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sat, Jan 24 2009 6:00 PM In reply to

I've never bought frozen chicken breast, its much more expensive than fresh here.  Usually goes on sale at $1.99 per pound twice a month between the two stores where I shop.  I stock up when its on sale.

• Sat, Jan 24 2009 11:09 PM In reply to

It is very hard for me to find it under $3/lb so we just buy whole chickens for .29c and cut them up.

cyn

• Sat, Jan 24 2009 11:11 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

wow cheap!  even drumsticks etc are min 1.99 a lb here. whole chickens too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 2:52 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

this week boneless skinless chicken breasti is $ 1.78  which isnt bad

the all have whole cut up chicken for $ .98

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 8:24 AM In reply to

• swedluv
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 1,713

For us "fresh" chicken breasts (I use quotes because they are frozen when the grocery stores get them) can go for around $5/lb. A normal "sale is $2.99/lb. The good sale is $1.99/lb. As far as the frozen ones in a bag, they are up to $14 for a 2.5lb bag, but I wait until Harris Teeter does a buy one get 2 free.

Unfortunately I can't get my dh to eat dark meat because there are days when I would love to take advantage of the whole chicken sales, but I don't out of fear it would go to waste. He is so weird about eating, lol.

Lynn

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 8:43 AM In reply to

Around here, one store or the other usually has them for $1.99/# most every week; as Gayla said, it was $1.78 last week.  We prefer dark meat, though.  I buy drumsticks in the bulk packages when they go on sale for $.79/# (used to be $.59) and buy boneless thighs in the big packs at Sam's for I think $1.88/# all the time. 

I occasionally buy the big bags of leg quarters when they're on sale for $.29-$.49/# and cut off the drumsticks and bone out the thighs. Don't do that often, though, because of the mess and inconvenience.  After you discard the wads of fat on the thighs, the "tail", and the skin and bones, it pushes the price per pound up considerably. Guess I could have used the trimmings to make broth for soup, but I never did; maybe I'll try that when I see them on sale again.

Carol
    western NC
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 11:14 AM In reply to

In Western Montana bonelss, skinless chicken breast usually run $1.67 to $1.88 a pound on sale, those are the fresh ones.  Frozen are usually over $2 a pound.  Whole chickens average 79-98ยข a pound.

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 12:56 PM In reply to

• ArielDawn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 26 2008
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 560

I can get a family pack on sale for 1.99 - that's the best price I seem to find and when I do I stock up for the freezer.   Generally they are 2.99.   Aldi has frozen ones - a 3lb bag for 6.99.   So that's 2.33/lb.   This is in Connecticut.    I've been doing thighs quite a bit lately - I can get them for .99 - sometimes as low as .79 a lb.    Also for some reason I seem to be getting the best prices on pork more than anything else - but maybe that's because I get the early morning markdowns

Dawn
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us