Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homemade Yogurt

Last post 05-17-2012 9:58 PM by Priss' Granny. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2009 11:39 AM

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 10-05-2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

Homemade Yogurt

Does anyone here make their own yogurt? I've looked at a few recipes and am thinking I might try it.

I just can't figure out how to incubate it. I know it has to be around 100 degrees, but the lowest my oven will go is 200. The crock pot lady makes it in a crock pot on low, but my crock pot is old and the "low" setting is actually high, so I think it would be too hot. The only other thing I can think of is putting it on top of my refrigerator, which gives off a decent amount of heat, but I know it's lower than 100 degrees... oy maybe cranking my heat up really high and putting the yogurt in a corner near 2 baseboard heaters.

If you make homemade yogurt, how do you incubate it?

• 01-23-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: Homemade Yogurt

I've made it on top of my dehydrator when I was dehydrating other things. If you're water heater is warm on top, that will work, or you can use a "haybox" or thermos to keep it at temperature. Yogurt is easy to make because it's a natural process. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 01-23-2009 12:06 PM In reply to

Here's what I do:

Pasteurize a half gallon of raw milk and cool to 116 deg F.

Whisk in yogurt starter, some sugar, vanilla, and some diluted plain gelatin (for extra firmness)

Pour into a Rubbermaid Thermos and sit on counter undisturbed for 6 - 8 hrs.

After incubated, whisk up again and pour into containers. Sit in the 'fridge over night and they will be set up to the consistency of store-bought yogurt by morning.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 01-23-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have a home yogurt maker it never worked right it gathering dust in storage shed

I got a recipe from a friend years ago on making in the crock pot  I made once our twice

8 cups skin milk

1 (7/8 ounce) package fat free, sugar free vanilla pudding mix

1 cup nonfat yougurt

Pour the milk into the crock pot and turn it on low. Let sit 2.5 hours.

Unplug crock pot, leave lid on. Let sit for 3 hours.

Ladle out a bit of the milk and stir it in with the yogurt starter. This yogurt MUST have live cultures. I used nonfat, plain Greek yogurt.

Mix in pudding mix.

Return the mixture to the crock pot and the rest of the milk; stir. Put lid back on and cover with a heavy bath towel or blanket (pot still unplugged). This is its insulator. Leave it like this at least 8 hours.

The longer it sits, the tart-er it gets. I like mine nice and tart.

It will be thin. If you want it thicker, place coffee filters in a colander and drain off whey.

You can use 2 tbs fat free dry milk or 1 packet plain gelatin in place of pudding mix. I just happened to have pudding mix on hand.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 01-23-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

I never had luck with those store bought yogurt makers either.

I used to incubate in canning jars in the oven with just the oven light on, then I wanted to get a Yogutherm incubator from New England Cheesemaking for $30+...but I noticed it looked just like the Rubbermaid 1/2 gallon water jug dh uses. They are $9 new, so i got one and have been happy with the results ever since.

• 01-23-2009 1:32 PM In reply to

plain gelatin is chea when you buy it in bulk or online...I get mine either at an amish store downstate or online at amazon. Pudding mix would add cost to each batch, so personally I'd refrain from using it. I make a batch once a week while we're milking. I had a bread starter given to me that needed pudding mix added each week for a batch. I let the starter die because I got tired of always buying pudding mix. When we have pudding, it's from scratch cooked on the stove...

• 01-23-2009 3:34 PM In reply to

Raw milk is straight from the cow or goat, not from a store.

Active cultures....look for organic brands of yogurt like Stoneyfield Farms to use as yogurt starter....they have the most number of active cultures and are not ULTRA pastuerized.

• 01-23-2009 6:04 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Different ways I've read that it was done:

1. using an ice chest with very warm water in it to set the canning jars into. The cheapest method was using a styrofoam chest, but any ice chest would do so long as it could be closed up tight and keep the water warm.

2. Wrapping a heating pad around a jar.

3.  Sleeping with the jar under the blankets

4. Make a plywood box that has a light bulb/socket wired into it and the jars are then set around the light bulb inside the box.

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us