Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Little Luxuries That Make You Feel Rich

Last post 01-15-2009 9:52 PM by dmc_2008. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-13-2009 6:58 AM

Little Luxuries That Make You Feel Rich

After I read this MSN article this morning  http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/HomeMortgageSavings/7-mini-splurges-to-make-you-feel-rich_series-home.aspx?GT1=33011 , it sparked my curiosity.  What are your little luxuries?

Here's my list:-

1. Buying mineral makeup!  After years of experimenting with cheap brands (and having the skin reactions to go with it), I decided to spoil myself with mineral makeup.  Pricey?  Yes, but it looks and feels great, and it's something I'll use every day
    2. Using a fountain pen - no additional money spent, since I already own a fountain pen and a supply of ink that will last me 2 years.   Had my first fountain pen at 11 and I've been hooked ever since
    3. Occasionally drinking tea from real china instead of the usual dollar store or promotional mug
    4. A good leather handbag - I go for classic & stylish as opposed to the latest fad, so I can comfortably use my bag for years and years without looking odd!  Same thing for belts and watches.
    5. Good chocolate - I DETEST the cheap stuff.  I'd rather have one little square of a good chocolate that a whole big bar of junk!
    6. My iPod - I'm still using the 1st generation iPod Nano I received as a gift a few years ago.  At the time, I was stunned by the extravagance of the gift and I couldn't imagine myself using it often enough to justify the expense!   Now my iPod is like my other best friend!  My favourite music, my free podcasts (e.g. learning conversational Spanish) now I can't imagine NOT having it around
    7. The occasional glass of wine for no particular reason! I don't drink often, and usually only on a special occasion! 

What are your little luxuries?

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 01-13-2009 8:21 AM In reply to

Re: Little Luxuries That Make You Feel Rich

One of the things I used to do was get a message. Sorta fell out of that routine. I do enjoy going into my local needlework shop and being able to afford expensive charts. I've also treated myself to Cross Stitch Festivals - 3 days in a nice hotel, great meals and unlimited exposure to cross stitch goodies. And this will sound silly but I've always wanted to try cross country skiing. Yesterday DH heard an add on the radio about a sporting goods store 1 hour south of us offering used skis, boots and polls for $35. So we went down and bought a set. I tried it and now I'm hooked. It was nice to be able to try something without making a hugh investment.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 01-13-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

Dear Timzagain, Thanks for having started this thread.  I'm sure that it will attract a lot of posts.

My 1st & foremost luxury is using my Mommy's sterling silver ALL THE TIME.  I don't have good plates, etc, just Corelle, but the silver makes up for it. 

Secondly, I buy organic whenever I have a choice & the price is reasonable.  (Whole Foods is the best source for reasonably-priced organic foods.)

Thirdly, I buy as many books as I can afford.  I love having something with a cover on it & bound to hold in my hands rather than having to read off the Net or having to print out from an Adobe Acrobat file.

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 01-13-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,400

A glass of wine on the screened-in back porch in the summer time after dinner.

A day in a small (10.5 feet) boat on the Potomac River.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • 01-13-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

Oh, little luxuries!  Its the small things that make life wonderful. Smile

1.)  A nice mug big mug of hot tea; or hot chocolate with whipped cream and a candy cane.

2.) Good dark chocolate.

3.) A new book.

4.) Polishing my nails. For some odd reason I always feel beautiful when I have nail polish on. I should wear it more often. Smile

5.) An ice cold Sam Summer on a hot Saturday afternoon sitting in the backyard with our neighbors while the kids run through the sprinkler.

6.)  Just taking a drive with DB.  Once in a while we'll head 20 minutes away where the highways are gone and it turns into dirt roads with street signs and woods as far as the eye can see.  We get "lost" (we don't call it lost - lost implies you have somewhere to be) for a few hours then find our way out and come home for lunch.  Didn't do that much last year because of gas prices, but hopefully we'll be able to take a few drives like this in the summer if prices stay low. 

7.) Spending a day at the beach or lake.  We're lucky enough to live on the seacoast, so we have plenty of choices of beaches, lakes, and the White Mountains are 30 minutes north.  We pile up the car, pack the cooler, and spend a day in the sun.  This is actually pretty frugal, the lake costs us $3 a person (state park) and its a pretty drive out there, plus hiking trails, plenty of picnic tables and grills.  The beach we like in Maine is $5 to park for the day and less than 20 minutes away. Man oh man I miss summer...

8.) This one probably sounds pretty silly but; a lazy Sunday in pj's playing video games with DB.  We only do it once in a while, but its fun to just turn off the phones, load the coffee table with junk food, and play 6 hours of PS2 games together. Embarrassed

Edited 'cause I can't count. XD

• 01-13-2009 9:11 AM In reply to

Thanks for taking the time to reply! 

Using the sterling silver regularly is lovely!    I'd love to use the good stuff on a regular basis, but I think I'd have to wait til the children move out before that will happen.   Our children range in age from 10 to 18 and, in spite of our best efforts to teach them to take care of things, they are still ridiculously careless!    I refuse to use plastic (UGH!) so we use inexpensive (but breakable) plates, glasses etc.  Over time I've learned to stick with very basic designs, preferably plain white dishes.  I CANNOT STAND mismatched, hodge-podge collections of dishes, bed linens etc.   When the dishes are plain, boring white, I can phase in replacements easily without having to buy a whole new set. 

Oh my gosh!  How did I manage to leave books off my list???   I love to read and our local libraries are, to use my kids' phrase, "soooooo lame!"    The used bookstores around here seem to carry novels primarily, which aren't my taste.   I prefer to read educational/ informative material - whodunnits, romance novels and worse yet, horror stories don't appeal to me at all.

I'm beginning to realize that I need a 12-step program for my book buying habit!   However, I just discovered that my very busy BIL buys books all the time and never has the chance to read them.   I've borrowed books from him before, but I never realized until recently that he has such an interesting collection of books.   (I'm rubbing my hands in glee just thinking about it!)   If I borrow from BIL, I reckon I can feed my book fetish for a while, without spending a cent!

Have a good day, everyone! 

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 01-13-2009 9:11 AM In reply to

1. $15 pedicures every few months or so. I can paint my own nails but there is something I love about the whirlpool tub, leg massage, hot towels, and pampering that make it a luxury.

2. Meeting a friend for coffee. I meet a good friend at a coffee house once a month or so. I splurge on a $4 cup of "something other than black coffee" and visit for an hour. It's a luxury I miss when our schedules don't mesh.

3. A nice bottle of wine and time with DH alone (after kids are in bed).

Erika
  • 01-13-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

arianasilver:

Oh, little luxuries!  Its the small things that make life wonderful. Smile

1.)  A nice mug big mug of hot tea; or hot chocolate with whipped cream and a candy cane.

2.) Good dark chocolate.

3.) A new book.

4.) Polishing my nails. For some odd reason I always feel beautiful when I have nail polish on. I should wear it more often. Smile

5.) An ice cold Sam Summer on a hot Saturday afternoon sitting in the backyard with our neighbors while the kids run through the sprinkler.

6.)  Just taking a drive with DB.  Once in a while we'll head 20 minutes away where the highways are gone and it turns into dirt roads with street signs and woods as far as the eye can see.  We get "lost" (we don't call it lost - lost implies you have somewhere to be) for a few hours then find our way out and come home for lunch.  Didn't do that much last year because of gas prices, but hopefully we'll be able to take a few drives like this in the summer if prices stay low. 

7.) Spending a day at the beach or lake.  We're lucky enough to live on the seacoast, so we have plenty of choices of beaches, lakes, and the White Mountains are 30 minutes north.  We pile up the car, pack the cooler, and spend a day in the sun.  This is actually pretty frugal, the lake costs us $3 a person (state park) and its a pretty drive out there, plus hiking trails, plenty of picnic tables and grills.  The beach we like in Maine is $5 to park for the day and less than 20 minutes away. Man oh man I miss summer...

7.) This one probably sounds pretty silly but; a lazy Sunday in pj's playing video games with DB.  We only do it once in a while, but its fun to just turn off the phones, load the coffee table with junk food, and play 6 hours of PS2 games together. Embarrassed

I also forgot to add - playing "hooky" and having a midweek, kids-free, drive around the island with a picnic lunch, with DH.   That is one of the perks of being self-employed.   Sometimes on the occasional slow or no-work day, we drop the kids off to school and hit the road!   We'd prefer to have the work, but if life hands you lemons, you should make lemonade. People pay thousands of dollars to fly to our little island to enjoy our sea and sun.  For the cost of a tank of gas, I can do it too.  

• 01-13-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

Now that we've got this "conversation" started, are there any other "little luxuries" you'd like to add to your repertoire?

Here's another two that I've been meaning to do for a while:-

• Wear a skirt or a dress once in a while!  I guess it might sound a bit silly, but most of the time I'm dressed in jeans or a capri and the top-du-jour.   Wearing a skirt, even a casual one, makes me feel more dressed and polished and as my fashionista DD16 would put it, "less like a soccer mom"  Or in my case a "swim mom"  The sad thing is that I own skirts - I just never remember to treat myself to wearing them!  Right now I am at the computer in my PJ's (don't tell my kids).  I think I shall "dress like a lady" today when I do my errands!  My mother and grandmother would be SO proud!
    • Go to the beach during the day for some me-time!   I live exactly 2 minutes away from the beach - that's the time it'll take me to lock my front door, cross the street and sink my toes in the sand!  I hardly ever go to the beach - I get so caught up in the busyness of life, that I never remember to enjoy the little things I've been blessed with!   There is absolutely nothing to stop me from donning my swimsuit, grabbing my lunch and a bottle of water and heading across the street for a few minutes!  I have to eat anyhow, who says it has to be at my kitchen table or worse yet, in front of the computer!  My friends will probably think that is the ultimate lady-of-leisure indulgence! LOL!  It won't be possible today because I've got some running around to do, but I have to put that on my to-do list for tomorrow.

• 01-13-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2007
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

Deborahmichelle:
    My 1st & foremost luxury is using my Mommy's sterling silver ALL THE TIME.  I don't have good plates, etc, just Corelle, but the silver makes up for it.  Thirdly, I buy as many books as I can afford.  I love having something with a cover on it & bound to hold in my hands rather than having to read off the Net or having to print out from an Adobe Acrobat file.

Yours in Him, Deb

I have one set of china that I actually got on sale for $30 for a set for 8 but it's in storage in a cupboard above the fridge and I almost never use it. It's boring white with a gold edge. However, I have picked up china dishes (mostly plates) from Goodwill that I use every day. I got a set of 10 beautiful plates with a rose border for like $5. Others I've paid a dollar a plate for. I don't waste money on paper plates. I use the "everyday" china and the kids tend to choose the plastic plates that we wash. Same with glasses. We don't use disposables.

I treat myself to some lavender bath salts. Not too expensive at under $3 a jar from walmart but it feels luxerious.

The one big treat for me, is books. I do read alot from the library but I have a really good home library as well. Rarely do I pay full price for anything. If I don't pick it up at the annual library book sale (50 cents each), thrift shops, garage sales, or the local used bookstore, then I order them online from amazon.com's used marketplace. Running outta bookshelves to hold my collection!! I've got shelves stacked 2 or 3 deep and 2 high. Now to actual read them all!! That's the fun part. :0)   I picked up at goodwill just yesterday for $5 a vinyl wingback chair. I don't think it's leather. It has a few poke holes from where a cat walked across it but otherwise it's fine. It's those old chairs you see in libraries in big mansions. It's an incredibly comfy chair. I sat in it last night reading.

If I had any other luxery it would be to occassionally add a good piece of cookware or utensil to my kitchen. For instance, when I won the local newspapers recipe contest (one winner per category) this fall, I took my winnings and purchased a food processor for my kitchen.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

http://community.webshots.com/user/katestitching
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us