Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Girl Gourmet cupcake maker

Last post Fri, Aug 28 2009 3:10 PM by thyme2save. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 11:59 AM

Girl Gourmet cupcake maker

DD got one of these for Christmas and it comes with 8 cupcake mixes and 8 icing mixes.  You "bake" the cupcakes in the microwave in 30 seconds and then the decorator helps you spin the icing on in a pretty way.  Oh, you mix the icing, too.  It got good reviews and it's definately a very cool toy!

Here's the problem: the refills for more cupcake mixes (with an equal number of icing mixes) comes out to a MINIMUM of $3.58/cupcake (plus s&h).  NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!  I can whip up a batch of 24 cupcakes with icing and sprinkles for the cost of 1 of their cupcakes.  I know I could easily make a dozen cupcakes and just buy a tub of icing for $1 and let DD doing the decorating.  That's definately a much better alternative.

However, if you have heard of or can find a recipe online (I've been looking, but no luck so far) on how to do individual cupcakes, please let me know.  I was hoping to find a recipe online that let me mix a batch of dry mix that I could just take, I don't know, 2 scoops of dry mix with a scoop of water and make something similar.  This way we don't have to make a full batch of cupcakes each time.  (Of course, I could always freeze cupcakes and we could just thaw and decorate what we want every other week or so....)  All I know is that I'm not paying $3.58/cupcake (plus s&h).  That's just beyond highway robbery....

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 12:55 PM In reply to

Re: Girl Gourmet cupcake maker

Try "recipezaar.com"  they have thousands of recipes posted.  I would suggest a search under "easy bake oven" that might get you what you are searching for.

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 1:29 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Easy Bake Oven Quick Cake Mix

3 tablespoons cake mix (Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, Jiffy)
    1-1/4 Tablespoons water

Blend cake mix and 1 tablespoon water - make sure not to add too much water. You want a traditional cake batter consistency. Pour batter into greased and floured toy cake pan. Bake as directed.

White Frosting Mix
    2 cups powdered sugar -- sifted
    3 tablespoons instant nonfat milk powder 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
    In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk powder. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. With a pastry blender cut in shortening. Spoon about 1/3 cup of mixture into each of 8 small bags. Seal tightly. Makes 8 packages. For chocolate frosting, add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa.
    To use: Combine 1 package of the above mix plus 3/4 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Stir well with a spoon until smooth and creamy. Makes about 1/4 cup frosting. A drop or two of vanilla may be added if desired.

Brownies
    2 1/2 T. sugar
    1 t. oil
    1/8 t. vanilla extract
    4 t. chocolate syrup
    2 1/2 T. flour
    Sir together sugar, oil, vanilla, chocolate and flour until the batter is smooth. Pour batter into greased and floured pan. Bake 15 minutes.

Chocolate Cake
    6 teaspoons flour
    4 teaspoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 teaspoon shortening
    1 pinch salt
    6 teaspoons milk
    Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa, shortening and salt. Add milk and stir until smooth. Pour into greased baking pan that comes with the toy oven. Bake for 12 to15 minutes. If you want white cake, omit the cocoa and add a drop or two of vanilla with the milk. Makes 1 serving.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 8:36 PM In reply to

A friend of mine gave me this recipe for my son to make cupcakes by hisself.

CINNAMON CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

3/4 c. flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. cocoa
    1/2 tsp. soda
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 c. water
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine first 6 ingredients; mix well. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Place paper liners in microwaveable cupcake pan or custard cups. Fill cups half full with batter. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until surface is almost dry, giving plate a half turn at 1 minute intervals. Yield 10 cupcakes.

I can't help with the frosting we just used a glaze on them.

cyn

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 3:02 PM In reply to

• kelci204
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 28 2009
    • Posts 1

but how do you make the girl gourmet cupcakes, I lost the ingrediant thing???

Kelci
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Have you read Martha Stewart's Cupcakes?

Good ideas in the book.

thyme2save
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us