Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal water usage: your favorite ways

Last post 10-08-2012 5:05 AM by Tussiemussies. 54 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (55 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2010 10:56 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal water usage: your favorite ways

8rootbears:
    But flushing the toilet after 'several' uses is, in my opinion, gross and akin to living in a 3rd world country. Doesn't it smell? Don't you run the risk of clogging the toilet up,
    I do a "half flush" which takes enough of the yellow away to avoid malodorous issues. The TP disintegrates in the bowl just as it would in the septic tank. AM
  • 04-11-2010 12:26 AM In reply to

8rootbears:
    I think it's admirable to conserve water and save money. But flushing the toilet after 'several' uses is, in my opinion, gross and akin to living in a 3rd world country. Doesn't it smell? Don't you run the risk of clogging the toilet up, and having to call a plumber in? That would be more expensive than a few extra flushes! Unless you are destitute, or one step away from being homeless, I think a better option would be to install a low-water usage toilet. It's one thing to be frugal. It's another thing to be cheap to the point of being ridiculous.

One woman's frugal is another's wasteful.

Even at 1.6 gal. per flush, I would use more than six gallons a day of cleaned to potable standards water merely to flush, for just me.

When my son was home, and I was with my ex, we used if it's yellow let it mellow, if it is brown, flush it down.

Now, once I own my home, I will have a one pint flush (seen on RV or marine applications) loo, but until then, I do what I can. I also don't flush paper, so clogs are extremely unlikely.

• 04-11-2010 8:33 AM In reply to

8rootbears:
    I think it's admirable to conserve water and save money. But flushing the toilet after 'several' uses is, in my opinion, gross and akin to living in a 3rd world country. Doesn't it smell? Don't you run the risk of clogging the toilet up, and having to call a plumber in?
    Well, the way I do it, and the way I've heard other folks describe it, you flush solid waste straightaway, but liquid waste only after several uses.  You don't risk clogs that way (because the paper in the bowl amounts to less solid matter than a single bowel movement), and no, it doesn't smell really, unless it's been sitting all night, at which point I do go ahead and flush it.

For those who want to flush after each use, but don't want to use more water than necessary, a dual-flush toilet may be the solution.  You can push the lever one way for a half flush (half the normal amount of water, for liquid wastes only) and the other way for a full flush.  I believe existing toilets can also be retrofitted with a dual-flush valve.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 04-11-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

Check Consumer Reports before you buy the dual-flush.  They had one which rated "poor" in all categories and you sure don't want that one.

• 04-12-2010 11:59 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:
    I planted my onion sets today & watered them with the water left in the buckets under the downspouts.

It's raining again tonight - supposed to continue into the am commute, so the buckets under the downspouts should be full by morning, with enough water to carry the garden & flowerbeds through to the next storm. Big Smile

• 04-13-2010 12:44 AM In reply to

ok we don't run the water when brushing the teeth and wash clothes only on full loads Im putting a brick type thing in the tank of the toilet and using less for it becuase use half water part and fix it so it can use less water better for the septic and for the sewer part dad and I fixed the drain field awhile back and the sept. where i was digging a ditch with dad I only dug ditch for the pipes it used to use less water and the tank is wonderfull we pump it every 5 years sometimes 4 years.

• 04-16-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

Planted a new apricot tree & a new plum tree in the last 2 days & watered all the trees with my rainwater collection.  So far the rain seems to be coming often enough to refill the jugs for the next watering, plus a little, but it isn't very hot here yet & I know the heat is coming.

• 04-22-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

We're expecting some rain this afternoon,  so I'm taking advantage of that fact & getting some plants in the ground & will try to quickly add another veg to the veg garden today. I'm on a well system, so I try to keep excess watering down to a minimum.

• 06-06-2010 8:50 PM In reply to

Temperature finally hit 96 today & I am watering the back lawn for the first time this season, since rain is not expected until Friday, and it feels a bit "crispy" underfoot.  While turning on the hose, I noticed a small drip coming from the faucet where it meets the hose.  Put a container underneath & am watering some of the flowers with the "extra" from watering the lawn.

Today I filled an empty gallon jug with tap water while I waited for it to warm up to peel the label from a salsa jar.  I clean my salsa jars & re-use them to store dried herbs, but I didn't realize that it too a whole gallon of water for the tap to get hot.  I will be doing that regularly now, to add to the "garden collection".

• 06-07-2010 8:24 AM In reply to

I have ben catching the water in a gallon jug when waiting for the hot water too. I have used it to rinse out a dirty bowl, rince off my hands, little things....got to save a little money, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 4 of 6 (55 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us