Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you buy #10 cans of food - and where?

Last post 06-26-2011 10:11 AM by Karen K. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2008 4:30 PM

Do you buy #10 cans of food - and where?

My local store has quit carrying institutional-sized cans.  They used to have a small section of the large cans, along with big boxes of different mixes, jugs of condiments, dressings, large containers of spices, etc. While the brand name canned goods weren't too good a deal, they did carry some off-brand and a local cannery's brand that were very competitive.  I'd buy the large cans, then put the food into smaller containers and freeze. Even ketchup freezes great!

But they now only carry a few main vegetables in the big cans, and those are next to like veggies in the small cans.  And not cheap at all.

The last time I checked Sam's, they carried mostly name-brand large cans, or just bundles of small cans - and no cheaper than what I could buy anyplace else.

Do you find the big cans to be cheaper and where do you buy them?  Liz 

• 12-22-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Re: Do you buy #10 cans of food - and where?

I very seldom buy them any more, but Sam's used to be cheaper if you could buy large jars and cans of condiments like mustard and mayonnaise. I couldn't use that much mayo before it went bad any more, but mustard doesn't spoil. 

King Soopers, where I shop often, has large sized cans of chili beans, a few vegetables and olives, pickles, things like that. I only buy them when I'm having a huge dinner.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-22-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

Our local Walmart has a small section like this.. not much to choose from... but most of the items we are just unable to use in that size. The price is sooo much better on these big cans (even the name brand stuff, IMHO) but we just can't eat a big can of beans like that. LOL. 

but I was at Sam's this weekend (I only go about every 6 months or so) and actually found a large can of something that I could actually use: tomato sauce! I don't remember the brand name but it was all white with black type. It was just a little over $2.00! That's dirt cheap, in my opinion. I can actually use a big can like this of tomato sauce b/c when I do my meat-sauce spaghetti freezer meal I use that much sauce.

I've contemplated getting the large cans like this of peaches (we all three like peaches to go with lunches and such) and just using plastic storage containers to divide it up and store it in the freezer. The problem is that I hate to waste freezer space on this because I need the space for my freezer meals. BUT since it would be soooo much cheaper, it may be worth it.

Have a blessed day,

Julie 

• 12-22-2008 6:58 PM In reply to

I've seen them at Farm Fresh and Wal-Mart.  I can't think of anything that we would use in that size can b/c there are only 3 of us (one of whom is only 4 and eats very little generally).  I could see a larger family, or a family with a couple of teenage boys, purchasing these cans.  In fact, I remember in the book, Cheaper by the Dozen, that they purchased their canned goods like this -- and it's easy to see why!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 12-22-2008 7:31 PM In reply to

Some of my grocery chains do have a small "institutional-size" food section, but I've actually never considered it before! I'll have to do some price comparisions. I have enough freezer space that it could be worth it.

Also, here's a canning question. Can store-bought canned goods be "re-canned" at home safely? If you bought by the 10-pound but re-canned by the pint, would that be worth someone's time while saving freezer space?

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• 12-22-2008 8:27 PM In reply to

My boys are eating machines.  I get the large cans at Sams or Walmart.  Sadly we only get a couple meals out of them but at least it is cheaper than a couple of the little cans.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 12-22-2008 8:37 PM In reply to

My local Wal Mart has a small section o them. I do buy the big can o Country Time lemonade. It is much cheaper and will last us about a month. I think the next time I have the extra money, I will get a jug o ketchup. We use at least a 40 oz bottle a month. My DS and stepdaughter both love ketchup on nearly everything.

• 12-22-2008 9:01 PM In reply to

The only place I've really seen them here is Costco.  The exception being refried beans-I've seen the large cans of those at the grocery store.  I've never bought these large cans though, maybe some would be good for us, not sure.  Potentially fruit if repackaged.  I usually just wait for good sales on the size that's right for us and then stock up.

But I remember that Brianschef, who used to post regularly here, was amazing in the kitchen.  If I remember correctly, she used to can a lot and sometimes recanned items from the larger cans (fruit I think).  I remember that was the first time I had heard of someone doing that-it was a great idea. 

• 12-22-2008 9:43 PM In reply to

I usually get mine at Sam's.  Sometimes i get some at Chef Smart, but Sam's is usually less expensive.

• 12-22-2008 10:14 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I brought them a number of time ..catsup and mustard are very reasonable that way ., baked bean , canned fruit ... when we have a family dinner it huge .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us