Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

About Cooking a Ham - How Do You Prepare and Cook Yours?

Last post Sat, Nov 28 2009 1:52 PM by MarthaMFI. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 20 2008 11:48 AM

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

About Cooking a Ham - How Do You Prepare and Cook Yours?

I like to do a ham for Christmas, however I've never been real thrilled with the way it turns out, usually too dry and not overly flavorful. You could say I'm ham-challenged.

Have you ever marinated/soaked a ham prior to cooking it? What did you marinate it in? Do you make a glaze or dry rub for yours? I'm looking for some ideas of cooking the best ham for dinner. 

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Dec 20 2008 10:39 PM In reply to

Re: About Cooking a Ham - How Do You Prepare and Cook Yours?

I've always gotten the ones that are cooked and come with a packet of honey-glaze sauce.  You just thaw the ham and then follow the directions on the packages, adding the glaze about 30 minutes or so before your done heating it back up.

I've never attempted the kind of ham where you have to soak for a day or two, changing the water every few hours to help get the salt out of the ham -- but those are delish!!!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Dec 20 2008 11:08 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... We are fixing ham for Christmas dinner, too ... We (hubby and I) believe that your ham is turning out 'too dry' because it's staying in the oven too long. Basically, we pre-heat the oven to 325 Degrees, place ham on the metal rack inside of the pan, then cover and completely seal edges with tinfoil. Unless your package direction state otherwise, you are just 'warming' the ham in the oven - 10 minutes per pound - with an ending temperature of 160 degrees. *** We usually just brush on the 'pineapple' glaze when there is only about 45 minutes remaining. Here are a few other glaze recipes that he had saved on my computer.

Just mix the ingredients together in a bowl and brush over the ham. As the ham cooks, occasionally brush it with the extra glaze.

Honey and Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Orange Glaze
    1 cup orange juice
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup honey
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)

Baked Ham Maple Glaze
    1 tablespoon mustard
    2/3 cup real maple syrup

Brown Sugar Glaze
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
    3/4 teaspoons ground cloves

Marmalade Glaze
    1/4 cup orange marmalade
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon flour
    add enough pineapple juice to create a thick paste

Pineapple Glaze
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    3/4 cup well drained crushed pineapple

Ginger Glaze
    1 teaspoon dry ginger
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    canned pear or peach syrup to make a thick paste
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chili Glaze
    1/2 cup thick chili sauce
    1/4 cup corn syrup

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 10:59 AM In reply to

My mother taught me to cook ham using 1 can of pineapple rings and 1/2 cup of brown sugar  - drain the pineapple juice into a bowl, mix with the brown sugar, and set aside.  Using toothpicks, attach the pineapple rings to the surface of the ham; pour juice/brown sugar mixture over the top, and bake according to package directions, covered with foil, basting periodically.  Since the development of the poultry baking bags, I've changed the foil to the bag - use according to package directions - it's much easier to keep the ham moist, it cooks more evenly, and clean-up is considerably easier.  The bags don't cost any more than the heavy-duty foil I'd been using.

And yes, for those who are wondering, I am Jewish - but my family has never been observant enough to keep kosher, and yes, we eat ham (and shellfish, and meat and dairy at the same meal, and all sorts of other things that are forbidden by kashrut).  It's a personal choice - so before this heads off this thread, I just wanted to stick this in here.

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

I learned this from my mother, and I think she learned it from hers...no idea where it came from before that.

Brew some super-strong coffee... too strong to drink even, the strongest you can make it. Mix it with some dark rum, and baste the ham with that while it's baking. Make a gravy out of the drippings once it's done. It's very rich, and very good. 

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:57 AM In reply to

I score mine with a knife, smear it with spicy brown mustard, cake on some brown sugar, and toothpick in some pineapple slices and marschino (sp?) cherries.  Probably the most boring ham prep ever LOL!  But its the way it was done in my family, and I just stuck with the traditional.  DB devours it, so I don't think I need to change anything. Smile

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 3:37 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I wasn't covering it while it baked so that is probably why it was coming out dry.  I also may have had the heat too high.  I like the idea of an orange glaze; for myself I like pineapple but Dh doesn't. 

Thanks Everyone.  Edey

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 3:42 PM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

Edey:
    I wasn't covering it while it baked so that is probably why it was coming out dry.  I also may have had the heat too high.

That might be part of your problem... I always cover my ham really well with foil, and take it off for the last half hour or hour of baking to reduce the liquid and get a nice caramelized outside.I also cook it slowly at a low heat (250 or so), because it's already been cooked, so all we're really doing at home is seasoning it and reheating it. 

I wonder how ham would come out cooked in a crock pot... has anyone tried that? 

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:24 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Mine will have to be in the turkey roaster as it won't fit in the little stove top oven I have, so that might be similar to making it in the crock pot. I'll put a layer of foil over it to maybe hold in the heat better. Or I could just slice it all first and then layer it in the crock, maybe with a little broth or juice poured over it.  This is what I do with turkey that gets cooked a day ahead, and it turns out pretty good. Edey

• Sun, Dec 21 2008 5:39 PM In reply to

I bake it with pineapple glaze on it with pineapples on it and the cherries cut criss cross so the glaze and the friut juice drips down to the inside ham part now I am getting hungry....

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us