Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Adding Moisture to the Air

Last post 01-21-2010 3:32 PM by crunchymamamaine. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2008 10:59 AM

Adding Moisture to the Air

It seems every year I end up buying a humidifier and it turns out to be a waste of money. Does anyone have any frugal suggestions of putting moisture into the air without having to run an appliance? I already put wet towels on my heat registers.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-15-2008 11:09 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: Adding Moisture to the Air

Do you have houseplants? Houseplants expire moisture as well as oxygen.  Put bowls of water in out of way places and hang wet cloths wherever you can in addition to the wet towels on the heat registers. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-15-2008 11:10 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I put a big pot of water on the stove and let it simmer all day. It puts just enough moisture in the air, and the extra moisture helps to make the house feel warmer too. Check the water level occasionally but a big pot of several gallons will last for several hours. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 12-15-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 10-05-2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

This involves running an appliance, but it doesn't take much power at all. Fill a crock pot with water, put it out in the room you want to moisturize, and turn it on high with the lid off. Just add water as it evaporates. I get a lot of bad nosebleeds when the air is dry, and this works for me. I do also have quite a few houseplants. 

If you add a few tablespoons of baking soda, it's also a room deodorizer. 

• 12-15-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

Thank to all. Yes my parlor is full of large plants and I have a couple of those mini crock pots.
    Kim_150:
    If you add a few tablespoons of baking soda, it's also a room deodorizer. 
    Great Idea. I'm glad I checked here before buying a another humidifier.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-15-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

Hanging my laundry to dry instead of running the dryer all the time seems to help. I hang most of the stuff in our bedroom and I feel like it is not as dry in there at night.

DH showers at night and leaves the door open (I would freeze personally) to let the steamy air out.

When the boys take a bath, I leave the water in the tub (and I have been using some to water plants, too). I drain it after a while b/c i don't want my youngest to fall in by accident or my oldest to play in the water and make a mess.

My mom runs her tea kettle on low most of the day (check often so you don't scorch the bottom).

Erika
  • 12-15-2008 1:39 PM In reply to

When I had a big drafty house, I put a stocking at the end of the dryer hose & let the steamy hot dryer air help heat my house. There's a metal box with vents (looks like an a/c vent that goes in the ceiling for central heat & air) that you can purchase at a hardware store or home improvement store to "recycle" the air safely, it has a place where the dryer hose fits in. I was poor, and never had trouble using the stocking.

I actually just learned about the metal box when watching a show on the 'greenest' homes in the US.

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • 12-15-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

We just keep large opaque vases around the house and keep them filled with water. As the water evaporates, it will leave mineral deposits behind, so try not to choose clear vases because they will look "cloudy" quickly.

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• 12-22-2008 12:35 AM In reply to

• JULEAH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-22-2008
    • Posts 1

I usually fill the biggest pot I can find with water, pour some imitation vanilla and some cinnamon in it and put it on slow simmer on the stove.  Not only will it put moisture in the air and make your house feel warmer but it makes the house smell really nice.  

• 12-22-2008 7:24 AM In reply to

They have a better appliance out now. 

It is a small bucket with vents.  The dryer hose attaches into the top of the bucket and you fill the bucket with water (I add cinnamon to the water also).  Excess lint is trapped in the water.  Nice hot, humid air blows out.  Empty the bucket regularly (about once a week) and refill with water.

It costs $10 at the home improvement stores.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us