Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Winter Laundry Hanging

Last post Fri, Mar 13 2009 2:33 AM by heatherd. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 10:27 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Winter Laundry Hanging

Spring, summer and fall can be great times to hang the laundry to dry but winter brings cold and lack of sunshine. Are you still hanging your laundry to dry? If you are, do you do things differently in winter than other times of the year to battle the problems with getting the clothes dry?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: Winter Laundry Hanging

Because we have a bounty of warm, dry weather (to excess, sometimes) the most frequent adjustment I have to make is getting the laundry hung out early enough in the day to let the heavier things have plenty of time to dry. I can't hang up laundry after noon and expect it to dry unless we are having the warm dry winds blowing. If we happen to be having an infrequent long wet spell, and it has been awhile since the laundry could get done then I wash a few things each day as needed, hang them around the house or try hanging them outside under my patio roof for awhile and hope they might dry out some. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 12:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I am already having to plan for drying only one load a day. So I have changed how I am washing and wash almost daily to take advantage of drying once a day.

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 2:01 PM In reply to

• jcrmom
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2008
    • Posts 904

I have to go to thecoin laundry for now. My washer is leaking. I have been going on Mondays. When I unload the washer at the laundry, I hang as many clothes as I can on plastic hangers to dry. I hang them in the bathroom on my shower curtain rod. I also hang them in my DS's closet. I put his clothes all in the dresser. I also have 2 drying racks. On for the living room and one for the utility room. I do hang the bedclothes out on the clotheslineit has worked well so far this year, but we are not anywhere near being cold yet.

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 2:35 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

jcrmom:
    . I do hang the bedclothes out on the clotheslineit has worked well so far this year, but we are not anywhere near being cold yet.

It's not very cold here but we have high humidity so it feels went and chilly. This means clothes put on the line in the morning will not dry until later in the afternoon. Drying indoors raises the humidity inside and this is something we already fight due to it increasing the feeling of being cold and mildew so I am not hanging inside.

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 11:15 AM In reply to

Today is 20 degees outside and windy so no hanging there.  In the winter I hang clothes in my basement. Seem to dry ok there. I miss not being able to hang outside now...can't wait for Spring! (And winter isn't officially even here yet).

Trying to Save in Pennsylvania
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 12:02 PM In reply to

I'm a wimp and I'm hanging inside. I have a system set up with drying racks, our shower rod and the hall bathroom shower rod. I use the guest room for extra space, too. I keep the laundry off first floor (my washer and dryer are upstairs) and I do enjoy the extra humidity in our bedroom. But it does get a little much, especially on bedding days, lol. I still dry socks and undergarments in my dryer just for space reasons.

DH is not much of a "hang the clothes to dry" guy but he tries his best (and I won't complain when he does laundry). He does like to hang his jeans and sweaters to dry but hates hanging all the heavy towels and many washclothes. So I don't mind if I hear the dryer running if he is doing laundry, lol.

With our humidity levels in the summer, things take longer to dry outside. Being inside now, I can hang stuff to dry at 10:00 at night inside and let it dry all night. Sheets are dry by morning as well as most lightweight undershirts.

Erika
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 1:15 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Brandy:

Spring, summer and fall can be great times to hang the laundry to dry but winter brings cold and lack of sunshine. Are you still hanging your laundry to dry? If you are, do you do things differently in winter than other times of the year to battle the problems with getting the clothes dry?

I still hang laundry outside, except when it's snowing or very, very cold (like near zero or colder). Clothes freeze dry even when it's cold out. I do have lines in the basement to hang things when I need to. The biggest problem for me (summer or winter) is in remembering to put a load in at night so I can hang them first thing in the morning. Automatic washers take too long for a load to start one in the morning when I have to work.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 3:46 PM In reply to

I have 4 lines in my basement that will hold a total of 2 loads of laundry.

So, when it rains, or during the winter time, I wash 2 loads of laundry in the morning, and by the next morning they are dry.

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 5:23 PM In reply to

inside, on racks nightly with a fan on. I don't own a dryer.

The moisture added to the air helps here.

Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us