Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Sick School

Last post Mon, Jan 5 2009 11:16 AM by Cinnamonhuskies. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 7 2008 10:16 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Sick School

I have been battling colds and sore throats over the last few weeks. This has at times made instructing the children difficult.

You can read more about how we managed at my homeschooling web log.

How do you manage when your children are ill? How about when you are the one who is sick?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Dec 7 2008 2:14 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: The Sick School

my Sister in law teach and My Niece will teach also ...

if they sick usually we give them a day off .... we school all year so they usually very ahead ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 7:16 AM In reply to

We school year round.  A day off here and there is no big deal.  If I am sick, I will either set them up with some easy activity for the computers, education videos and if I am realy, realy sick DH will come home and hold a regular day (not so much for school but to watch them).

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 8:25 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

2ndGenGranola:
    A day off here and there is no big deal

We school all year long here as well. Sadly, when I do become ill, it's often a two week battle. Thankfully, my really being down where I can't manage instruction well at all is shorter than that.

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 12:50 PM In reply to

If mine were sick enough to be on the couch, I'd have them do whatever reading needed to be done - and save any written work for another day.  If they had a fever or were in bed sick, they'd get off completely.  We always had enough time built into the schedule to get finished at the end of the year.

Usually, I'd write out assignments a week or two in advance, so mine knew to keep moving on their work if I was the one sick.  If they got stuck, they'd either wait for dad's help, me to get better or even go next door to gm's house for some tutoring Big Smile.

I'm saying all this in the past tense, because I'm nearly finished!!  Dd is finishing up her senior year work and has registered for a couple classes at the local community college starting in January.  All I have to do is send in the last report to our umbrella school and schedule her for the ACT - which is optional for the college as she tested well enough on their assessment to start without ACT test scores.  I don't know if dd wants an end-of-school party, but I'M sure gonna have one, and you're all invited, lol!  Liz

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 12:53 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    or even go next door to gm's house for some tutoring

I used that tactic when we lived next to my parents. I do miss that convenience.

• Fri, Jan 2 2009 12:45 PM In reply to

egads I hate it when I'm sick like I've been this week...just when we are starting a couple new books for the 2nd semester! I can barely speak, my chest hurts like crazy, and even my pinky muscles ache!

All I can do it try my best and hope for better health next week.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Fri, Jan 2 2009 3:29 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Oh Michelle I am sorry you are ill .. we will be praying for you  we are strating school again on Monday .. they been doing review .. we all had the crud going around .. so we been going slow for a few days .  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 9:46 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Yuck, Michelle. Get well soon!

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 6:42 AM In reply to

In spite of NyQuil I haven't slept well in the past 3 nights or nap. If I would run a fever I'd feel justified in feeling yucky LOL! When i think I can sleep for a stretch, then either I can't breathe or I'll start coughing.

Just pouring the hot liquids in and hoping I bounce back very soon.

Actually I did go walk Cinnamon in 13 degree weather yesterday and it cleared my sinus' up. Weird.

I figured out that I haven't been sick in the least since last February so I suppose I'm due.

Friday we started a new Math curriculum for my 8th grader, and it requires more instruction from me, but he seems to understand it better and enjoys it more (at least until he gets to the prealgebra part). I have grading to do for my 11th grader but I guess if I don't total grades until next week it's not earth shattering.

Brandy, do you keep grades or are your children "un"schooled and you can tell if they really know a concept or not?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us