Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Teacher's Gift Ideas

Last post Thu, Dec 1 2011 7:51 PM by MarthaMFI. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 6 2008 10:47 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Re: Teacher's Gift Ideas

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Sat, Dec 6 2008 10:57 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Gigi,

I realise that this is off topic but I am really curious. What were the parents complaining about?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

although home schooled my children still have a Spanish teacher , and riding teachers  the Spanish teacher will get a basket full of homemade mixes and honey.

the girl who teachs riding will get a gift certicate .

my DD French teacher asked for homemade bread she takes him a loaf once a week he is very happy she giving him a basket with honey butter and jams

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Dec 6 2008 12:25 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

gayla50:
    my DD French teacher asked for homemade bread

I think the article suggested homemade things. I wonder how many teachers would enjoy home baked goods, homemade jar mixes or homemade bath salts and oils.

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 12:43 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,065

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 1:16 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Gigi:
    In fact, I have every reason to believe that I had less problems because of the documentation. It took way too much time and effort. 

I am sure you were not paid enough for all that work but it was helpful to keep good records.

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 1:58 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Our school doesn't need supplies. We paid for our kids supplies at the beginning of the year.  Our school is a range of low income to higher income with a lot of lower income family and new immigrants.  People only give gifts to the teachers if they want too.   I also donate books and other items to the classroom too.

lots of people I know, the classes get together and get the teacher a joint gift which each parent gives $10 if they want.   My friend moved to a different more expensive area and she is supposed to give $20.  plus they have minimums for fundraising etc min $35 for this and that.  That pac is told that they MUST raise $9000 to pay for the list of items for the school. new lamiator $2000   150 digital cameras for a school of 250 kids etc. 

Our school pac & teachers focus on helping the kids and others. Like the scholastic book fair next week where the profits are going to help the families in africa the school supports.  The principal went in the summer there too. There are pictures and updates of the family posted so the kids can see.   A grandma was raising her grandkids in a mud hut. no beds etc.  now the older ones are going to school and the younger kids will go to boarding school because there is no school for younger kids in their community yet.

We had a coat drive and food bank drive now for hampers for families.      My point is each school is different and I posted a parents point of view.    I don't know what dd teachers believe about xmas but I know the preschool teachers believe because it is a christian preschool.   Here we have xmas concerts, I am not sure about the US.  My friend who is at the pricey for parents school now was living in portland oregon and she said they didn't do them.

Gigi, sounds like a big headache for you!  good records are the key for lots of jobs.  can't argue with the facts as much as they want too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Dec 6 2008 2:05 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    Here we have xmas concerts, I am not sure about the US. 

The schools where we relocated from still did them. I assume it's not uncommon here as well as the town is decorated for Christmas and there are bows and garland on one school's fence.

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:42 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,065

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 3:52 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    Like the 45 or so Christmas mugs an aquaintenance of mine has collected? She felt about tossing them but really..what would someone DO with 45 of them?
    She could use them to give away "cake-in-a-coffee-mug" mixes. The only mugs this wouldn't work for is any that can't be microwaved because of gold paint or some similar concern.
    ~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

Page 2 of 3 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us