Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Do You Have Pets?

Last post Thu, Jun 7 2012 6:41 AM by Shanie. 75 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:16 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Do You Have Pets?

We have had this discussion here before to get to know each other better but there are so many new people to get to know now. Do you have pets and what kind?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:24 PM In reply to

Re: Do You Have Pets?

I have a dog - a very happy 82-pound lab mix.

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:31 PM In reply to

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

I have a rabbit- a five-year-old black Holland lop. When I got her she was so small she could sit in the palm of my hand, and now she's bigger than some cats. She's also getting some grey hairs.

I've been thinking about getting a bearded dragon.  

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:41 PM In reply to

I have two cats, Meow and Tiri, both rescures, both horribly abused. Meow, the older cat, is about 6 and a beautiful calico. She was orally abused pretty badly, and we're guessing (from her reaction to certain objects) beaten. Tiri, about 5, is all black, and has only 3 legs. Her back leg is missing. It was cut off, almost certainly while she was awake for it, and then...well, I won't go into it here. Suffice it to say if I ever find out who did what they did to her, there'd be a shovel involved and my DH would probably be here trying to raise donations for my legal defense fund. We found her mostly dead, and our vet (and old country vet who I loved dearly and miss a lot since our move) wasn't sure she could be saved. 4+ years later, she's still with us, hale and healthy. Both of them are really well-adjusted, friendly, loving cats.

It's amazing how much love animals have to give. They follow me from room to room, the snuggle to me. As weird as this sounds, they know what I am saying, and not just how I say it. They'll do things when I ask, even fairly complicated things sometimes. I am sure there's some other explanation, but I tend to believe they've got greater comprehension than we give them credit for.

Oh, and they're spoiled. Rotten. Fortunately, they're also really well behaved (no jumping on tables, scratching furniture even though they have their claws, etc.).

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Fri, Dec 5 2008 2:24 AM In reply to

I have Aurora who is a Pampered Princess kitty. She came to me via the Petfinder list in September 2006. She is a very spoiled rotten Chocolate Point Siamese kitty. She's an Alpha personality which means that she won't tolerate other animals.

I am not trying to boast, but I could afford 2 pets if Aurora could accept another animal.

She's a very demanding kitty and she is totally unlike my late adorable Tigger. Tigger and Bentley were Siamese litter mates who were ours for 15 1/2 years. They slept with me and they were lap cats. Tigger loved being hugged like a teddy bear.

• Fri, Dec 5 2008 6:41 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

We have two cats. Gypsy, the mother cat, is gray with white feet. Missy is solid black and 1 1/2 years old. She survived a fisher cat attack last winter. They are indoor/outdoor cats. They stay indoors more in the winter. Missy is more of a lap cat. She likes to be scratched under her chin and loves to cuddle up with a blanket on the couch. She loves kids and lets them play with her. Gypsy is more independent and will run away and find a quite spot to sleep all day. They only eat dry food. If you give them wet food or table scraps , they refuse to eat. All in all they are very spoiled. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Dec 5 2008 7:08 AM In reply to

I have two spoiled cats-Kit-kat and Bosco.(yes, my cats have chocolate names) Kit-kat is a 5 yr. old siamese mix, and Bosco is a long haired black cat with brownish tones to his coat. He was a Mothers Day present this year at six weeks old.
    Our pets become so much a part of the family, I am still missing my beautiful lab- Pepper, she died of cancer 2 years ago, it was so hard to say goodbye to her. I absouletly love labs but I cannot yet get another, maybe someday. Right now I will just spoil my kitties.......Donna
  • Fri, Dec 5 2008 7:32 AM In reply to

We have two dogs.  Reglisse, which means black licorice in French is an old man now.  He's about 13 and a black lab mix.  He came from the shelter.  They found him out in the country with a bb imbedded in his head.  When he was neutered the vet took the bb out.  We always joke that they took out most of his brain.  He's a good dog although a real alpha male and he tries to keep my husband in line.  He's about 75 lbs.

Our new dog is Sis.  We've had her for a year now and she's about two.  Someone our neighbor worked with had her dumped on their farm.  She already had 4 dogs and her husband said no more.  She called and I asked my husband "can we keep her?" and he said no, we didn't need another dog.  But I told her to bring the dog by and let me husband see her.  It was Dec. and he had his usual meetings the 1st two weeks but one Saturday she called and he was going to be here so she brought her by.  Of course you know the story.  He took one look at her and she had a new home.  She's a pure-bred chocolate lab and the sweetest most loving dog I've ever seen.  But she has bad hip problems which is probably why she got dumped.  She's in pain a lot and she's only 2.  She can run though and loves being out in the country.  We have a mile long lane so our dogs can run free.  They never go far and they love country living.  She's a hunter and has caught quite a few rabbits and mice outside. 

We called her Sis because I asked the lady who we got her from what they called her the couple of weeks they had her and she Sis.  I figured she'd been through three homes in the last six weeks so she might as well keep her name.  Now Sis seems like the perfect name for her.  Both dogs get along good.  Reglisse is getting up there in age and doesn't move around like he used to but our vet said his life would probably be extended a few years just because Sis keeps him going.

• Fri, Dec 5 2008 8:07 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We have a dog, a black mouth cur. Poor dear, we got her when she was a tiny pup. She has the drive to hunt and tree animals but no idea what to do without because we took her in as a pet and a friend to the kids not a hunting dog.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Dec 5 2008 8:52 AM In reply to

A 7 or 8 yo small bi eyed dane we've had 4 yrs who's a great watch dog he alerts on people in our yard and the next yard as well as the shared driveway.

A 14 yo cat that was a house warming gift from db#1 ds#2 claimed him when he was about 3 even though we got the cat 3 mos before he was born he's been very good about taking care of "his" cat even now with the cat needing his ears treated 2x a day for the meloinomia (sp?).

A 7 or 8 yo cat that is ds#1's who spends her entire spring, summer and most of the fall outside refusing to come in for anything other than food (now that the neighbors no longer set food out) till it gets cold out.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
Page 1 of 8 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us