Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cloth diapering?

Last post 10-13-2007 10:12 PM by ladyofthehouse. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2007 11:39 AM

Cloth diapering?

I'm looking for advise on cloth diapering.  I will be a first time grandma in November and my dil wants to use cloth.  As a baby gift, I would like to get her set up with what she needs.  Any suggestions?

Pat
  • 07-18-2007 11:56 AM In reply to

Re: Cloth diapering?

I did it for my daughter. Kushies all in ones or just the reg. ones with plastic pants are great. They also make liners. You need borax and vinegar for washing them too. Walmart has diaper pails. Babykins brand are good too. They have adjustable straps. Get the medium ones though. from 10lbs - 22lbs. You get the most wear from those! The small ones are nice but you don't know what size the baby will be :) speaking of experience. My first, a girl was an unexpected 9lbs 14oz, 22inches long. I ended up having a c-section and my doctor said she didn't know why I needed one after all until they pulled her out!  My son was 8lbs and 22 inches.

My Family's Interests
  • 07-18-2007 1:50 PM In reply to

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • 07-18-2007 1:50 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I cloth diapered my third child. I tried different brands and types. For day wear, I used Chinese prefolds as they are very absorbent and vinyl pull up covers I got from Wal-mart. At night I liked to use Fuzzi-Bunz which are a pocket diaper or a Bummis cover over the prefold.

Bummis are covers that fasten with velcro and if fastened correctly, you won't need diaper pins or other fasteners. ... http://www.bummis.com/en/Index.html.

Fuzzi Bunz only require inserts to absorb. The fleece was very soft and kept moisture off my baby. They are not cheap though so I only used them for night wear at the start. I replaced these with a length of fleece I bought and cut into liners to place in the diaper with a Bummis cover for night use.    www.fuzzibunz.com

Old receiving blankets or other flannel can be cut into reusable diaper wipes to cut out the cost of that.  

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-18-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

I had bought my cloth diapers at garage sales etc and made back the money selling them on ebay so it worked out. I used reg. diapers some of the time.  My mom and mother in law did not want to use the cloth diapers! said they had enough of them when we were babies and they didn't have a choice!

My Family's Interests
  • 07-18-2007 8:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for the good advise and the links! 

Pat
  • 07-19-2007 12:17 AM In reply to

I would go shopping with her- I cloth diapered my second and sold those diapers through my toy/ natural product/*** pump rental store from my house- there are too many out there so if you say cloth and she says cloth, they could be totally different visions!  Also if she is using daycare, my ds's daycare didn't want pins, but would do it if they were velcro- this is 12 years ago.  I would ask her really to look at what whe wants- it is also pretty expensive if she want the high end type, I would buy some and make sure she wants to do this- she might get sick of it!  I do not cloth diaper anymore, look for bargains for my youngest two, and appreciate the convience- I have enough laundry with just clothes, towels, and blankets!

Tracy 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 07-19-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

TASSIE
    That's A Stretcher

This post has won a TASSIE award

-------------------------------------------- 

cloth diapering inexpensive:

I have bought the expensive ones in the past and my favorite are the following: I use disposable at night and on outings so if you use them exclusively you might need more quantity:

Everything was purchased at "Dee-diaper service" from California.  They have great prices and great quality, fast delivery.

1) Cloth diapers (theirs are industrial, heavy duty, lasted more than one kid, still great condition) about 2 dozen, regular size

2) Diaper covers (6 for a toddler is great, they don't pee as often as a newborn and they go #2 once a day). After they are washed line dry.

3) Snappi fastener: to keep the cloth in place. works like a charm, no leakage ever, easy to use. I believe the package has explanation on hoyw to use instead of safety pins.

4) I forgot, I use fleece rectangles next to baby skin, just cut a strip from an old blanket or buy remnant for a dollar or less.  This keeps the baby dry as the liquid just goes through and if he poops the pool just fall in the toilet no need to rinse. These last for more babies to come.

I do the "bikini fold" for the cloth I learned this fold from a website (google it). 

Order: I lay the diaper cover, then the cloth diaper bikini fold on top and place the fleece rectangleon top. 

I keep a regular container with a lid place soiled diaper in it and sprinkle baking soda only if it's too stinky.

• 07-19-2007 10:59 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Carmina, I loved Snappi myself but I can't seem to find their site. Do you know if those are still on the market?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-19-2007 1:13 PM In reply to

You are the first I've heard who used the bikini fold.  I wondered how it worked.  Thanks for the feedback.

Pat
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us