Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Do You Paint Your Salt Dough Ornaments?

Last post Fri, Dec 12 2008 11:43 PM by kabin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 4 2008 4:36 AM

Do You Paint Your Salt Dough Ornaments?

Do you leave your salt dough ornaments white or do you paint them after they are dry?

I decided to make salt dough ornaments rather than to make cookie ornaments because I want to start a collection of ornaments.

I will probably be looking for a good deal on cinnamon to put in the clay to make gingerbread people.

Both Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh have store brand flour on special right now. I couldn't see buying a name brand flour for my ornaments. I also have to buy salt.

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 4:39 AM In reply to

Re: Do You Paint Your Salt Dough Ornaments?

What kind of paint do you use on salt dough ornaments?

Thanks.

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 6:20 AM In reply to

I use acrylic paint. It dries pretty quickly and has good coverage.

cyn

• Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:34 AM In reply to

VNW, you will probably have good luck at a restaurant supply house on the cinnamon.  The containers are very large.  If it's too much, you could always find some small bottles and give small containers of cinnamon or cinnamon sugar.  Good for baking or shaking into coffee or tea or cocoa -- haven't tried it with Postum or Ovaltine. 

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Thu, Dec 4 2008 10:37 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

We painted some with poster paint and it didn't stick very well, so acrylic would probably be better. You can also mix food coloring in the dough when you make it, but it turns out sort of pastel unless you use a lot. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Dec 4 2008 11:56 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Whenever I paint a craft item, I prefer Artist's acrylic instead of the acrylic paint in the little jars. The amount of pigment in artist's acrylic is greater, the paint is better quality and it is easy enough to mix different colors. Used with an extender that lets it dry slowly it gives better coverage and better results that jarred acrylics, and you don't need to have 50 bottles sitting around to get the different colors. This may not be practical for someone who only does a few items, as the initial cost is more than buying the bottles.  Edey 

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Mon, Dec 8 2008 5:33 PM In reply to

freecycle for almost used up yubes?

I think Basics (that's a brand name) would do just fine. The craft store have it on sale a couple times a year, but daily I prefer Jerry's Artarama (dot com for the Web)

that is art a rama not o-rama.

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I've used Basics and like them too. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Fri, Dec 12 2008 11:43 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

I haven't made salt dough ornaments yet, but I imagine that you could do well with the acrylic craft paints. You can also mix up your own colors with those and not have to buy so many. However, being an artist at heart I, myself, would probably do as Edey suggested. Of course I have my dd who is also in the art program in high school, so she would be sure to use those up for me if I didn't use them fast enough. LOL

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us