Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What's your best price on ground beef/hamburger?

Last post Thu, Dec 11 2008 6:21 PM by Kate. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 10:56 AM

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 26 2007
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

What's your best price on ground beef/hamburger?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but prices on meat has gone up. Generally it isn't too bad where I live since I live in the middle of cattle country. What is the best/lowest price you find ground beef? What's the normal price in your area? And what % lean is it.

Generally I won't buy 93% lean ground beef. I buy either 85%, 80% or even 75% ground beef. The cheapest ground beef, sold in bulk tubes runs $1.89/lb. If I buy it prepackaged from the meat department, even 85% lean ground beef can be $1.99/lb. I won't buy the 93% lean as it can run $2.99/lb or something. If I find a really really really good deal, ie very rarely advertized special I've seen it at $1.69/lb but that's pretty rare. Today I found markdown ground beef at $1.79/lb bundled in 5-6lb packs for around $11. I spoke to the meat manager as he was next to me as I was picking it up and he said that regular meats get put out for 3 days and after that they pull them, grind them into ground beef, mark them down and that's what I got. He said the meat was perfectly fine. I divided it into one pound packages and wrapped them in freezer paper and marked them all. I now have a dozen approximately one pound packages of ground beef stocked in my freezer.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

http://community.webshots.com/user/katestitching
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: What's your best price on ground beef/hamburger?

I usually pay about $1.89 a pound though I have seen sales dip below that from time to time. This is for the cheapest ground beef sold in the store I shop in.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 12:24 PM In reply to

I average around $1.99/lb. for 80% lean.  I did happen to pick some up for $1.25/lb. at 75% lean a month or so ago, but we only have the small freezer above the fridge, and we're almost through that already.  It was a store 125th anniversary sale, so I don't expect to see that price again any time soon.  Sometimes it goes below $1.99/lb. but not often.

Hannaford has chicken breast on sale for $1.99/lb. this week, so I plan to get a few family packs.  Some to freeze as whole breasts, and some to grind up for ground chicken.

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

I went to a different store today and nearly collapsed in shock to see 97% lean ground beef at just over $4 a pound! Unbelievable, especially in the middle of cattle country. I'm feeling better about my 85% lean purchase at $1.79/lb. They had 4 family paks at that price. I was there as they were putting them out. I got two of them.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:12 PM In reply to

• allie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Virginia
    • Posts 810

I prefer using ground chuck.  I bought some a couple of weeks ago for $1.87 per pound.  Usually I can find it on sale for that amount.

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:12 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

In the past, I paid $1.99 lb for ground beef on sale. Recently , the cheapest that I have seen it is $2.79 . Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

babs:

In the past, I paid $1.99 lb for ground beef on sale. Recently , the cheapest that I have seen it is $2.79 . Babs

The price is creaping up. Some days, in some stores, I can't find it below $2/lb and that's for the not very lean stuff. That's why I snatched up what I found today to restock the freezer. I'm trying not to buy meat (to restock freezer) anymore unless it's either on an advertized sale, or reduced for quick sale (have to go early in the mornings for that). Otherwise I'm eating out of the freezer. I'm just glad I have a large chest freezer so that I'm able to do this.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:42 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Kate, I do the same. I have an upright freezer and try to keep it full of meat from sales. It is getting harder to do. We have to keep a close eye on the sales. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 4:00 PM In reply to

I'll admit I buy the more expensive 93% lean meat, because I feel it has more protein, and less fat that I have to drain away. It's like I get more for my money. But l have been discouraged by the price lately. Regular price is $3.29/ lb. here, but it sometimes goes on sale to $2.99 /lb. Too expensive for my liking! I will usually buy it in 2 lb. containers and cut it into three pieces before I freeze it. That way I'm not using a whole pound each time I cook. It seems to be all right with my family, they don't seem to notice.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 5:53 PM In reply to

slk2042:
    I'll admit I buy the more expensive 93% lean meat, because I feel it has more protein, and less fat that I have to drain away. It's like I get more for my money. But l have been discouraged by the price lately.

Stacie, have you seen the article about draining ground beef on the Hillbilly Housewife site?  http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm I started buying the cheaper grade meats and draining them according to those directions. Since I brown almost all of my meat ahead of time, it didn't feel like a lot of extra work. Then I just froze the meat in meal-sized batches. The only time I buy the leaner stuff is when I want a meatloaf, as I can't really pre-browned the beef and get the same thing in a meatloaf.

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us