Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Bathroom Cleaning

Last post Wed, Aug 31 2011 2:23 PM by Lee. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 10:15 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Bathroom Cleaning

What is your bathroom cleaning routine? What do you use to clean the bathrooms?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 10:17 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Re: Bathroom Cleaning

I clean mine thoroughly once a week, with a little upkeep during the week if necessary. I use vinegar and baking soda for the most part, but I did find an off brand toilet bowl cleaner a couple of weeks ago for a dollar so I'm using that right now. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 10:35 AM In reply to

I try and follow the "swish and swipe" of Flylady that I started years ago. I wipe down the shower each day, wipe my counter and sink at night after I am done washing my face and swish the toilet a couple times a week. For the hall bath (the bath the boys use), while they are taking a bath, I wipe down the counter, sink and faucets and swish and wipe the toilet (my 4 year old does not have the best aim yet). As the bath is draining, the boys help me clean the tub with a brush and some old shampoo nobody uses. This isn't every day, just about once a week or so.

I wipe the floors down as needed in each bath. We have a half-bath on the first floor and I wipe the floor (dog has her water dish in there) more often and make sure there are clean hand towels and a clean sink and toilet--maybe once a week.

For products: I am using up some toilet cleaner I have had for quite a while in the half and master bath. For the boys' bathroom, I have baking soda I use in the toilet and some vinegar/water in a spray bottle. And the bottle of cheap shampoo that we use in the tub. In our master bath, I have a commercial spray for counters/sinks that I have diluted and it's almost gone. I also have a bottle of off-brand windex I am using up (I diluted it down with water, too). But in our shower, I use some body soap that we can't use b/c of skin sensitivity so that's my shower cleaner. I just keep a brush inside the shower stall for cleaning.

Erika
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:18 AM In reply to

We have one bathroom.  Daily, the toilet is swished and swiped, usually in the morning, and the counters are wiped down as well.  I usually do all this after she and I are both done getting ready in the morning.  One washcloth cleans my face, wipes DD's face after her toothbrushing, and then wipes the counters down.  Also, the kitty box is cleaned daily by DH.  I use a eye make-up removal cotton pad to wipe my eye-glasses down with alcohol.  I use the pad several times before tossing it.  The last time I use it, I wipe down the sink faucets or any dental floss home-runs from the mirror with the excess alcohol.

Wiping down the front, sides, etc of the toilet is done weekly when I magic eraser the bathtub and windex the mirror.  Usually this done before DD has her Sunday night bath.  I do the floors whenever I think of it; probably a couple times a month for a full sweeping and mopping.  Sometimes the kitties get a little rambunctious covering their goods in the litter box and we have to do an extra sweeping session!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:41 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I like to use the windex routine something like Mamasjob does. I like the way it cleans and the clean smell it leaves behind. For the toilet I use any old shampoo or cleaner I have on hand, diluted, unless I'm getting hard water stains then I try something else. For the floor I like to use Lysol liquid cleaner diluted in water.  I've tried the vinegar routine and didn't care for it, in the bathroom.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:00 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... We use Simple Green in various strengths, mixed in a spray bottle with water. I clean everything that is possible with this product - I just machine cleaned my carpets, too. /  We have two baths that I quick-wipe each evening, toliets daily, with floors and shower/tub once a week.

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:29 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

We have one small bathroom.   I scrub the tub with comet anywhere from 1 wk to 3 wks apart depending on my schedule.  sink and tiolet get cleaned more often!  white bathroom and tile floor so every hair etc shows.  

I do the wipedown of the sink just about every day with the kids. rinsing it out etc. lysol wipes, vinegar and water etc.  also wipe the tiolet etc.  I fill the sink with hot water and lysol for a deeper clean.  depending on the level of  mess.

vacuum out the bathroom every couple of days. scrub the tiolet min once a week with comet or vim.   change hand towels almost every day. bath once a week.  can you tell I have little kids :)

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 12:52 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

One more for only one bathroom.  I clean the bathroom with a homemade all purpose cleaner/window cleaner that consists of vinegar, wintergreen rubbing alcohol and water.  Everyday I go over the mirror, wipe down the sink and counter and a quick wipe over and around the toilet.  Once a week I clean the toilet.  I used to use those disposable toilet brushes...the ones you attach the scrubbie part and throw that part away.  Well I ran out and dont want to use a toilet brush that is reuseable...too many germs.  So I now put on a glove, scour the toilet with Comet, use paper towel and do it by hand.  I get much more area than the toilet brush did.  Water in toilet does not come close to the top of the glove.  Shower/tub is done once a month.  Daughter cleans the tub and I clean the walls. Floor is vacuumed once a day.

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:26 PM In reply to

I've got 2 bathrooms but only use one (the other is where I keep the worm ranch).  Wipe down the shower with baking soda on a cloth every 2 weeks.   Spritz it with a tea tree oil homemade shower spray after each shower (I'm the only one using the bathroom so it stays pretty darn clean).  Toilet gets swished when I think of it and vinegar in the top-tank when I think of it.  I let the vinegar sit in there overnight then flush and swish in the morning.

Counters and faucets get swabbed right before the hand towel goes in the wash so 2x per week usually.

I don't do the floor often enough.  With a 35 year old trailer and needing to keep the window open all summer to avoid a STEAMING room, it gets so dusty here.  I should do the floor a couple of times a week but honestly it gets vaccuumed about once a week or 10 days and actually swabbed once a month.  Again, since I'm the only one in there, and I'm a girl, the floor is just dusty not gross.  When I had a teenage boy staying with me, had to clean the bathroom CONSTANTLY and made him clean it once a week too.

• Wed, Aug 31 2011 12:02 PM In reply to

I physically can't clean the way I use to which was OCD style and very white glove... so I have been getting help for awhile now. Every Thursday I get a deep clean in the kitchen and bathroom. I do touch ups myself inbetween then... swishing and swiping. It's very important these areas are kept clean and PROPERLY disinfected. Home beauty care products were not meant to kill bacteria and grease found in kitchens and bathrooms. I hope people are prioritizing proper sanitation here. I provide cleaners and my cleaners bring their favorites as well. I've got everything from Pinesol, my favorite even though it's toxic - yikes, to green products. I had not heard of anyone using beauty soap or shampoo to clean and do not feel it's a proper method of sanitation. Sorry but it really caught me off guard to read that. There are products, both make at home and ones to buy, for chemical sensitivities... or if someone is very low on $ there is always the dollar store... The germs these 2 areas hold are hideous, especially bathroom floors. Anyone with young kids should be EXTREMELY cautious about properly sanitizing these areas.

Smile, done for now. Makes me want to go clean!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us