Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Best way to clean a shower stall and tub?

Last post 01-25-2010 9:02 AM by Juneflower. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2008 3:06 PM

Best way to clean a shower stall and tub?

I hate cleaning the tub and shower stall!

Does anyone have a method that works well with minimum effort?

Thanks,

dmc 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 11-09-2008 3:20 PM In reply to

Re: Best way to clean a shower stall and tub?

We use an everyday after shower cleaner.  We just spray it on after every shower and it helps to prevent the mineral build-up which attracts dirt.  My husband works in agricultural research and spends a lot of time taking notes in the field and we're big gardeners and beleive me our shower has seen some really, really dirty feet.  If we spray after every shower it doesn't stick and I only do a good cleaning every two or three weeks (or when we have company).  The shower we use the most is tile and glass block but it works well too on our fiberglass shower although if doesn't get all the dirt the tile shower gets.

I use the Method brand that I get at Target mainly because I like the ylang ylang scent but other brands seem to work just as well.  You can buy refills so it's not that expensive if you wait for sales.  I just stock up then.

When I do clean I just use a regular cleaner.  I just use whatever is on sale.  Once in a while in the summer we do get some mildew in the grout and I use a bathroom mildew remover for that although I'm sure bleach would work just as well. The commercial stuff is thicker and stays on where I put it a little longer.  A bottle of mildew remover probably lasts us 2-3 years.

• 11-09-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

I'm with nancybeth on this one. We use a daily after shower spray. Once or twice a week I clean it with regular household cleaner, or if you like, a homemade cleaner using vinegar and baking soda.

Every 3 months I use a product called GEL-GLOSS, usually available at the grocery store.

You wax it on like a car polish, then wait until it dries, then polish it off. One note of caution, use an in-shower/tub rubber mat for a while after application, as it may be a slick for a few days. It cuts down on the scrubbing. I use GEL-Gloss on the sinks also. Please read the instructions first to see if it is ok to use on the material your fixtures are made from.

• 11-09-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

I spray the shower and tub to wet everything then sprinkle baking soda all over, it sticks to the wet. Then I have a spray bottle full of vinegar which I spritz over the baking soda. After the foaming dies down I just wipe down everything and rise with water. This gets out the hard water stains and brakes down the soap scum AND cleans out the dirt from my boys, leaving the bath smelling clean and fresh without a harsh smell or fumes from cleaners.

cyn

• 11-09-2008 6:55 PM In reply to

goldenblaise:

I spray the shower and tub to wet everything then sprinkle baking soda all over, it sticks to the wet. Then I have a spray bottle full of vinegar which I spritz over the baking soda. After the foaming dies down I just wipe down everything and rise with water. This gets out the hard water stains and brakes down the soap scum AND cleans out the dirt from my boys, leaving the bath smelling clean and fresh without a harsh smell or fumes from cleaners.

cyn

I've tried that on my tub, but it doesn't get rid of the thin film on the surface (I assume it's mostly dead skin cells). Nothing but scrubbing with a stiff brush seems to get that off.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 11-09-2008 6:56 PM In reply to

I do "flylady" http://flylady.net ! Her suggestion is to swipe the shower everyday (using the towel you dried with... this takes maybe a minute or less if you move fast) after you're done (this also works for the bathroom sink and toilet), but while you're still in the shower. It works for me! My bathroom is in a continual state of cleanliness andI don't have any major cleaning to do when I stick to it. I'm on and off the fly wagon pretty often, but when I do what I'm supposed to, life is so much sweeter! Smile

• 11-09-2008 6:59 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

haverwench:
    I've tried that on my tub, but it doesn't get rid of the thin film on the surface (I assume it's mostly dead skin cells). Nothing but scrubbing with a stiff brush seems to get that off.

It's probably soap scum. Use vinegar on it, straight. Give it a little time and the scum/film should come off in small clumps when you rub it.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 11-13-2008 8:23 AM In reply to

• LJcoolJ
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 24

The only thing I've found that works on my shower floor is comet, a scrubber of some sort and some elbow grease. 

• 11-13-2008 8:59 AM In reply to

Keep a squeegee hanging in the shower.  Before getting out to dry yourself, squeegee all the surfaces. 

OTOH, I have two friends who have that shower cleaning system.  Both love it and find it well worth the $$$.

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • 11-13-2008 9:22 AM In reply to

"The only thing I've found that works on my shower floor is comet, a scrubber of some sort and some elbow grease.  "  LOL

These are great ideas... All of them.  I ended up spraying the shower stall with scrubbing bubbles, I had a can and then scrubbing with a green scrubber pad and then the bottom, Ajax or whatever it is in the green can.  It worked.

I just had getting in the shower and cleaning!  Hate it.  I really can't use those chemical type cleansers that spray for you and stay in cause my DD still baths and it just seems like too much chemical, I could be wrong.

Anyway... Elbow grease is best, but I am going to try the baking soda idea as soon as I run out of the store bought.

Thanks!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us