Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Taco Filling Ideas

Last post Sat, Sep 10 2011 11:15 PM by MarthaMFI. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 3:37 PM

Taco Filling Ideas

At my office, we couple the monthly meeting with a potluck. We group everyone together into groups of 3-4, and different groups have to "sponsor" the potluck each month. This primarily means bringing the main dishes, while everyone else brings sides or other necessary items. My group is sponsoring this month: tacos/burritos. The three others in my group paid me off to do the cooking.

I can make beef taco filling no problem, but I also want to offer chicken taco filling and vegetarian-bean taco filling, both for variety and because we have several folks with dietary restrictions (at least two vegetarians, and several folks avoiding red meat). My problem is I have no earthly idea how to make chicken or bean fillings.

Any ideas/recipes that work for you?

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Nov 5 2008 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Taco Filling Ideas

For beans, use refried beans and mix with salsa for flavor and keep warm in a crock pot. Or you can make black beans (from dried) and mix with salsa for flavor, cumin, cilantro, etc. Heat in a crock pot.

My favorite (and very easy) chicken taco filling recipe is (makes a nice sized crock-pot full, maybe 8-10 tacos)

4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts

1 jar any type salsa

Put chicken in crockpot. Cover with salsa. Cook on low all day or on high 4-5 hours. Shred chicken with two forks. Add a can of mexi-corn (drained) and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and heat thoroughly. Corn and beans are optional but stretch the chicken meat.

Erika
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 3:45 PM In reply to

When I make chicken tacos, I finely shred cooked chicken breasts. I put the shredded meat in a skillet and mix in a package of mild taco seasoning as directed (I add water if directed to do so on the package. It makes the chicken nice and moist). I heat the chicken through and serve. I've had good luck using that concoction in both tacos and enchiladas.

Stacie

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 4:22 PM In reply to

I don't know if this is what you are looking for... but another thing I do with soft flour tortillas.... I put strips of grilled chicken breast in them with BBQ sauce and lettuce. It makes for a simple wrap.

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• Wed, Nov 5 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

What about ground turkey or suasage?

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Wed, Nov 5 2008 4:40 PM In reply to

I don't have ground turkey or sausage - I've already been given the beef, chicken, and dried beans from others who are contributing to this month's potluck.
    ~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Nov 5 2008 9:20 PM In reply to

These are great ideas, guys! I'm willing to have more, but now I don't feel like I'm in a quandry.
    ~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Nov 5 2008 9:46 PM In reply to

You can also buy Morning Star Crumbles, which is a vegetarian "ground beef". I've used it in tacos and in spaghetti sauce. It's pretty good, though not frugal.

• Wed, Nov 5 2008 11:02 PM In reply to

I had a recipe somewhere but now I can't find it!  The general gist was soak black beans overnight. Next morning saute a diced onion and diced bell peppers. Mix black beans, onions, peppers, taco seasoning packet, diced tomatoes with liquid and some salsa in the crockpot and let it go all day.  You could probably do the opposite and soak the day before, cook overnight, then mash them up a bit and keep warm in the crock until the potluck. 

• Thu, Nov 6 2008 8:12 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I have made fish tacos.  just cook a white firm fish with taco seasoning.  falls apart but its yummy. taco seasoning hides fish flavor so picky eaters will eat it.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us