Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Wood stove in basement to heat house

Last post Mon, Nov 3 2008 11:00 AM by Cinnamonhuskies. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 3 2008 9:56 AM

Wood stove in basement to heat house

I have a partially finished basement that includes a fireplace. The room down there is exactly the same size as the living room directly above it (ranch-style home). I currently heat with oil via hot-water baseboard. My house is three zones. I've been thinking about putting in a wood stove in the basement, cutting four vents (one in each corner) in the ceiling into the floor of the living room, and letting the heat just rise up as it's naturally inclined to do. I'd rather not have to add any blowers or anything like that (the whole idea is to save money on heating). My first question is... is this a feasible solution to help heat the house? I figure that if necessary, the two "outer" zones would use the oil heat, but hoping that the heat coming into the main part of the house would work its way out. My second question is, what is a good stove to use? The house is about 1500 sq ft. What size do I need, how many BTUs, what are a few good name brands?

Don't forget to get your free Web Site hosting package at: http://www.webstencils.com/freehosting
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Nov 3 2008 9:58 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Wood stove in basement to heat house

Our wood stove is on the first floor. We put in the old fashioned cast iron floor vents to the second floor. You are suppose to have two in each room to make the air flow up and back down. We heat a good part of our upstairs this way for most of the year. Then if upstairs is too hot you can shut the vent. We bought the vents at our hardware store. There are fancy ones online but a lot more expensive. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Nov 3 2008 10:47 AM In reply to

good question for my HVAC husband....I'll have to ask....

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Nov 3 2008 11:00 AM In reply to

ok here goes-

stoves aren't that specific as far as btus, theyre not like furnaces, ,,,depends on size of fire, you just pick one that says the sq ft, you need to shop the wood stoves well and talk to the reps......if you have a wide open stairway or a door to open, you can get away w/o vents.

however, in the end your basement may still be a sauna and the rest of the house is cool. your comfort is gonna be varied with a set up like that....it's a trade off for possibly reduced oil costs.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us