Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)

Last post Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:13 PM by sissy. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 1 2008 8:47 PM

• Kim_150
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 5 2008
    • Green Bay, WI
    • Posts 525

Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)

This is a different version of refried beans... don't let the long ingredients list fool you! The recipe is a lot easier than it looks.  Like usual, this is for one person but can be multiplied.

Water

Vegetable or chicken broth

1 cup dried black beans

1/2 cup diced carrot

1/2 cup diced celery

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 cloves of garlic 

1 bay leaf 

1 tablespoon olive oil  

1 bottle of light beer (I use Corona because I usually have some)  

1 teaspoon cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

Garlic salt- to taste  

Parsley- to taste

1/4 cup fresh cilantro (or 1-2 tablespoons dried)

Lime juice

The day before making this, soak the beans in a bowl covered by 2-3 inches of water. Soak overnight.

Drain the beans, and place in a pot. Cover with half-and-half water and broth, until covered by about 2 inches. Add carrots, celery, bay leaf, 1 garlic clove, and onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are almost cooked. They should still be a little hard in the middle. 

Drain the bean mixture and discard the bay leaf. Place half in a bowl, and mash coarsely (I use a potato masher, but a fork or food processor would work). 

In a large frying pan, warm up the olive oil over medium heat. Add the second garlic clove, minced, and the cumin and chili powder. Cook and stir until it forms a thin paste and becomes fragrant. Add the mashed and whole bean mixtures and mix well. 

Pour in the bottle of beer. Bring to a coil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes, or until the liquid is soaked up and it resembles refried beans. Season with parsley, garlic salt, and cilantro. Squeeze some lime juice over the top before serving. 

Makes 4 1-cup servings, 249.25 calories in each.  

• Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:13 PM In reply to

Re: Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)

YUMMY thanks this will be put in favorites thanks I also let a recipe for egg foo young cassarole with mushrokom auce to go over itinjoy that one and this looks like the knock your socks off for my new hubby he like that thank you again.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us