Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Electric appliances versus propane use . . .

Last post Mon, Nov 24 2008 5:20 PM by Harriet. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 11:00 PM

Electric appliances versus propane use . . .

Is using electric appliances instead of propane to do the same work cost-effective? I know the electric heat is the least efficient way to create heat, but if it's cheaper, then I think this winter I'm all for inefficient! I'm wondering if there is a general consensus on this, or if its completely unique to one's home/region. Here's what got me thinking . . .

I have an electric popcorn popper which I almost donated to a thrift store this week because I prefer to make our popcorn in a huge stewpot on our propane stove. I decided, however, to hang onto the popcorn popper until I found out if it may be cheaper to use electricity rather than propane. (We're already behind on our propane payments this winter, and just don't have the money to knock it out. It's going to be a chilly winter for us; I'm following haverwench's thread on how to stay warm diligently!) I also have an electric plug-in portable oven. Cooking with the propane oven helps warm the kitchen, but the way our house is laid out, it doesn't warm much else.

Generally speaking, are electric appliances cheaper to use than propane? How can I find this out? Thanks, all!

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 9:08 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Electric appliances versus propane use . . .

Ireally dont know the answer but for me, I think that electric is cheaper in my area. I used to have gas and changed to electric. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 2:26 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I don't have facts and figures to back this up (maybe someone else will come to our rescue), but it seems that propane is the more expensive of the two. It has always been more expensive that natural gas, but I'm not sure how it compares to electricity. The price has gone up lately, too, hasn't it?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 2:31 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I found an article that might help:

Propane Vs Electrity 

To make the comparison looks a little complicated but maybe not too much.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 5:05 PM In reply to

Thanks Pat!

I follow it pretty well, but I'll make the husband read it and give me a summary to make sure I really understand. Intellectually, I know I prefer propane (closer to the source and all - I think the article you linked called it "primary energy"), but I wonder if the cost difference will be such that it will be worth swallowing some pride to use electricity instead. Even if it means taking apart and cleaning the popcorn popper every other day - we eat a lot of popcorn.

Speaking of which - I got a small sad shock this past Friday when I do our grocery shopping for the month. No-name pop-it-yourself popcorn rose from $0.89 to $1.09 for the same bag. Isn't that about a 20% increase? It felt symbolic to me.

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 5:39 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Joyous:
    I wonder if the cost difference will be such that it will be worth swallowing some pride to use electricity instead.

That I don't know. If your husband reads it, will you please post the translation here if possible? Smile 

Joyous:
    No-name pop-it-yourself popcorn rose from $0.89 to $1.09 for the same bag

That's a whopping increase! Still cheaper than microwave popcorn, though. I've contemplated stocking up on popcorn, but it doesn't keep well over a long period of time.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Wed, Oct 29 2008 5:51 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Maybe, Im remembering wrong but cant you freeze popcorn. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 5:59 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have a family that eats Popcorn like crazy .. we buy 50lbs through our co-op I brought two bags in July we have a air popper and one were can use with the wood stove  hmm fresh popcorn ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 6:12 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

babs:

Maybe, Im remembering wrong but cant you freeze popcorn. Babs

You can freeze it and I've done it before, but it still doesn't keep that well. After thawing, mine always lost enough moisture quickly so that it didn't pop very well.

Back to the topic, we used to use propane heaters and if I remember right, they were cheaper to use than the small electric space heaters, but that was back before the price changed. I don't know if small heaters are so much different from other appliances.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Sun, Nov 2 2008 7:53 PM In reply to

We made the switch to electricity this year because propane was so expensive; in our area it is $2.79 a gallon. We have a wood stove for backup which we will use sparingly since we do not have a lot of seasoned wood. Because our clothes dryer is electric, we revented it into the doorway of the bathroom (covering the end with a nylon stocking to catch the lint). The bathroom is one of the coldest rooms in the house, because of its location. So I coordinate doing laundry with shower night. By the time I have done a couple of loads and put them into the dryer, the bathroom is warm enough not to catch cold when taking a shower. The only propane item we have now is the kitchen stove. I bake a lot, so the kitchen gets warm and it's open to the livingroom. I have most of our kitchen appliances on surge protectors, except for the freezers and refrigerator, and I simply turn off the protectors and everything is off at night. We decided this summer when making the 'electric' decision what we could live without and not feel deprived. One of the things we decided to live without was TV. Our children have TVs but no cable or satellite. In our neck of the woods, we don't get network TV without those things, so they have tapes or DVDs. My husband and I get our news from the internet (which we turn off every night with one of the surge protrectors). We use battery during the day and I charge it up with the electricity before I turn it off at night. We also pay for 100% renewable resources for our electricity and even with the increased cost for this, we are still paying much less than for propane. We wear sweaters and sweatshirts, socks, and I even wear a cap at night. I sleep in a cold room (not freezing, I'm not that adventurous), but the older I get the colder my ears get. So the cap keeps me warm and I can still hear movement in the house at night. I have a disabled husband, son, and daughter. I am careful that they do not get too cold because of the decisions we made. We have left room in our decision making about using electricity so that if the cold becomes a health issue, we have backup. We purchased enough portable heaters so everyone can have one to use. We don't expect that it will cost us much more than we would normally pay anyway. It's been our experience that using electricity causes dryness, which makes it seem colder. Every room has a pan in front of the heaters to alleviate this problem. Now if we can just get the house dog to stop drinking from them.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us