Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

New-to-us freezer

Last post Mon, Oct 27 2008 10:24 AM by Joyous. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 20 2008 1:05 PM

New-to-us freezer

We recently have been given a new-to-us upright freezer. I'm very excited about putting it to good use, especially as our current freezer is small and overflowing.

There have been several posts lately asking about how specific foods can be freezed for long-term storage. Does anyone know of a post or a website which has an extensive list of foods that are good for freezing and directions for freezing them? I would really love to look at a resource which talks about freezing foods for storage extensively.

I already freeze the following for food storage:

eggs
    stale bread (for meatloaf, croutons)
    browning bananas
    yogurt starters

in addition to the customary frozen meats, prepackaged veggies, orange juice, etc.

Does anyone have info on freezing dried beans, rice and grains, flours, pastas, potatoes, yeast bricks? I try very hard to buy "ingredients" instead of insta-food. If possible, these are some things I'd like to freeze and start keeping on hand. My understanding is that potatoes freeze poorly, so how do frozen hashbrowns and frozen fries get made?

~~~~

Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
    ~ Lewis Carroll

• Mon, Oct 20 2008 1:08 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: New-to-us freezer

It is raw potatoes that dont freeze . Frozen fries and hash browns have been cooked almost done before packing. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Oct 20 2008 1:28 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Joyous:
    Does anyone have info on freezing dried beans, rice and grains, flours, pastas, potatoes, yeast bricks?

The only reason to freeze dried beans, grains and flours is to kill any bug eggs that might be in them. Just put them in a sealable container that's easy for you and put them in the freezer. No special handling is needed. They can be removed from the freezer any time after a month or so and kept in a dry, dark place, preferably at room temperature (low 70s) or below. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Oct 20 2008 2:27 PM In reply to

babs:
    Frozen fries and hash browns have been cooked almost done before packing

So I could make hash browns, cook them until almost done, and then cool them, wrap them, and freeze them? Do you know of a method for doing this?

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Mon, Oct 20 2008 2:29 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I don tknow. I would start a new post asking the question so more people will see it. I am sure someone will know how to do this. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Oct 21 2008 5:11 PM In reply to

Thanks, Babs.

I found a book from our local library - it appears to have perhaps not been checked out since perhaps the 1960s - it's in almost pristine condition. It's called The Complete Book of Home Freezing by Hazel Meyer, and it talks about getting food insurance in case the power goes out! I think it has some good information, but I just wish it was more current.

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Tue, Oct 21 2008 7:55 PM In reply to

Hello Joy-ous

You find other uses for your used to new or new to you freezer congradulations I remember when I got my first freezer I still have its  in storage I liked storing up on bread milk and meat you know the usal things even stuff you cooked enjoy ...

cindy

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 10:09 AM In reply to

• auntbee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 7 2007
    • Central Mississippi
    • Posts 65

I recently was given a lot of potatoes which I decided to freeze.  I found some info on the internet.  For the hashbrowns, I grated them put them in a metal colander and blanched them for only 1 minute.  Then I drained them and ran cold water over them to cool them.  I put them in a clean towel and squeezed out as much water as I could.  I put ice cream scoops of them on a cookie sheet and froze before putting in ziplock bags.  When I want to eat some, I just take out a scoop or 2, thaw them and cook as usual.  (Squeeze the water out again before cooking).  They're as good as fresh ones.  I also froze mashed potatoes.  I did sliced ones and cubed ones the same as the hash browns, except I blanched them 3 minutes.  When you thaw the sliced ones, they seem flimsy, but if you cook them in a little butter or oil, they come out perfect.

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 10:30 AM In reply to

Ooo, thank you, auntbee!Big Smile

~~~~

~ Lewis Carroll

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 11:10 AM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 26 2007
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

The meats in my freezer seem to last longer and get no freezer burn if I rewrap the packages from the store in freezer paper.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

http://community.webshots.com/user/katestitching
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us