Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What is considered good price per pound for a Thanksgiving Day turkey?

Last post 11-05-2009 10:39 PM by John. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2008 12:09 PM

What is considered good price per pound for a Thanksgiving Day turkey?

I have been looking at loss leaders and for frozen I see 1.69/lb.  Is that good or should I wait?  I am doing Thanksgiving and I want one big enough for leftovers and soup.

Thanks much.

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 10-14-2008 12:13 PM In reply to

Re: What is considered good price per pound for a Thanksgiving Day turkey?

I think they come down here to 1.29 for fresh I am not sure because I can honestly say I never bought one. I usually get one free from the supermarket with the savings club card. 

• 10-14-2008 12:22 PM In reply to

I think the closer you can get to $1 per lb, the better. I am working my way toward a free 18 lb turkey with my savings card at my grocery store. I need 400 points and I have 250 right now.

Erika
  • 10-14-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

Usually, I've seen fresh turkeys around .99-1.29/lb.; usually the bigger they are, the cheaper per pound you can get them. However, buying a frozen turkey is usually more cost effective. Last year, Kroger had them (18lb. or more) for .19 a pound with an additional $25 purchase. I think the ones that were under 18lbs. were like .49/lb. on sale. My guess is that we probably won't see those super cheap prices this year, but I hoping I'm wrong. I'd wait until the week or 2 before Thanksgiving to get your bird, that's usually when they are the cheapest.

~*~Angie~*~

• 10-14-2008 12:35 PM In reply to

Thanks!  I will wait to buy the bird.  I am down to under 40. to last for the rest of this month, so the bird is going to have to wait until next month anyway!!  I always forget about the budget when it comes to those pesky loss leaders.  They call my name!

I will only need bread, milk, and fresh fruit for the rest of this month.  Last night we made what is now being referred to as "mom's famous tuna casserole".  I am really glad my daughter loves that.   Finally!   I just made a big deal about how when I was a kid, we loved it.  So now she likes it too.

I grilled some chicken strips over the weekend to have for dinner this week as well.  

Thanks for the tips and I will look for those free bird offers too!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 10-14-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

• Darlene
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • (Mid state) Illinois
    • Posts 137

Dear Everyone,

If you can manage to squeeze your cash into savings in the next few weeks, consider buying two turkeys. One for Thanksgiving, and one for the freezer to be used later. The prices are usually never as low as around the Thanksgiving holiday per pound for turkeys.

Darlene

• 10-14-2008 1:12 PM In reply to

Darlene, you are so right about turkey prices. Another idea is to cook both of them if you dont have a lot of freezer space. Then you can freeze the meat in meal size portions. Boil down both carcass for broth. Freeze that for soup or gravy. I love turkeys.  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 10-14-2008 1:29 PM In reply to

I think if the price is right, I might consider that.  I might have to buy a smaller one as well as a bigger for T-day.  My freezer is so small.  I do love turkey though!  I could eat it for salads, sandwiches, dinners, soups - you name it, I would eat it if turkey was in it.

I was just reading something that says if you don't want all that left over turkey, to buy a big one anyway and have the butcher cut it in half!  That is a good idea for me as well.  Freeze half!

;-)

• 10-14-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

our stores to a card an the other you save certificates  for a free turkey

I always cook a large or two turkeys  and for Christmas we have turkey and a ham .. 

New years day we do a ham   collards black eyed peas and corn bread .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 10-14-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

Not much to say about turkeys, but I recall reading somewhere (probably a price book thread) that pumpkin is also cheapest around Thanksgiving?  This seemed a good place to refresh our memories.

Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us