Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

snapping turtle recipes

Last post Mon, Oct 13 2008 9:55 PM by Juneflower. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 12 2008 8:45 PM

snapping turtle recipes

Getting really stretchy here...Cuz's drinking buddies just brought in a snapping turtle and are butchering it in the kitchen sink.  I've persuaded them that the meat has to be soaked in salt water overnight, to buy me some time.  Not much meat on those critters.  Cuz can't have bell peppers or much onion, so that leaves out Cajun.  Anyone out there got a favorite recipe?  One site said that alligator and turtle recipes are interchangeable. I'm leaning toward the Commander's Palace turtle soup recipe just because a restaurant that expensive has to have good recipes.

I'm not joking--couldn't have made this one up if I tried. It's been weeks since they've brought in catfish or bluegill.  We had neighbors who hit a deer but they were too innocent to bring the animal back for me to cook.

• Sun, Oct 12 2008 9:15 PM In reply to

Re: snapping turtle recipes

Oh, this brings back some memories.  :-)  Years ago, my dad brought home a softshelled turtle or two and mom put it in the crockpot.  Tasted just like chicken.  :-)  Anyway, I happen to have a recipe book with game recipes... hope this helps.

BAKED TURTLE

Cut up turtle meat into serving sized pieces and soak for several hours in water containing a little salt and vinegar.  Wash in clear water; drain and dip each piece in lemon juice, then in beaten egg.  Salt and pepper and roll them in a mixture of flour and cornmeal.  Put in hot fat and brown well on all sides. Add 1/2 cup hot water; cover and bake slowly until meat is tender.  Add a little water at intervals, if necessary.  Baking temperature:  350 degrees. 

TURTLE STEW

1 medium onion, sliced; 2 cups diced celery; 1 cup fresh lima beans; 2 lbs turtle meat, cut up; 4 Tbsp butter, 3 medium potatoes, diced; 3 medium carrots, diced; 1 cup tomatoes; 1/2 cup fresh parsley; salt and pepper

Place onion, celery, and lima beans in Dutch oven; cover with water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.  Saute turtle meat in butter in a skillet until browned on all sides.  Add meat, butter, vegetables, and seasoning to oven and simmer for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  You can probably exchange any vegetables for those you can't have. 

By the way, this recipe book has recipes for ALL TYPES of game/road kill.  I'm serious!  It has baked rattlesnake, smothered crow; simmered coot; duck, quail, phesant, squirrel, rabbit, bever tail, armadillo, possum, raccoon, porcupine, moose, venison, and buffalo.  If you need recipes, let me know... I hate to have them sit on the shelf unused. 

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 9:55 PM In reply to

Re: snapping turtle recipes

Thank you!  I never know what these guys will bring in next.  I'm imploring for venison, since I can put it up in jars and pressure canning tenderizes it.  

Now, I have to figure out how to clean the shell.  Last time I tried this, it was a Cherokee mud turtle shell--black with beautiful, vivid red markings--from a found corpse.  I put it into an anthill on some ex-Scout's advice.

A fire ant hill, and some truly desperate dog or possum dragged it out for a meal. I never found the remains.   This shell probably will end up as a wall hanging somewhere. I can sell any turtle shell for $10-20 at the flea market, and a tanned roadkill coon tail will bring $3-5.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us