Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Help! My Husband's Work Boots Stink!!

Last post Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:12 PM by saramwks. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 10 2008 9:43 PM

• dolly77
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2007
    • Way Down South
    • Posts 295

Help! My Husband's Work Boots Stink!!

My husband has had a pair of new work boots for 3 weeks and they are starting to stink!  His last pair was the exact same kind and he wore them for a year with no problem.  These are heavy-duty, leather, steel-toed boots that cost $150.  The catch is, my husband's feet and socks DO NOT stink.  Also, my husband and son promise me that they cannot smell the horrible odor.  It smells like mildew. 

My son wore a pair of socks several days in a row (unbeknownst to me) and his socks had that same rotten smell.  I washed them with vinegar and they came out fine.  But his shoes (also new; Skechers; not leather) also stink.  I washed them with vinegar but it didn't help.

Please tell me how to get rid of this odor in their shoes and in the house.  They both tell me they can't smell it so I might just be going crazy!  How can I make everything smell fresh and clean?  I've sprayed Nuetra-Air and it didn't help.

• Fri, Oct 10 2008 9:54 PM In reply to

Re: Help! My Husband's Work Boots Stink!!

I've had the same problem with my DH workboots.  A few ideas are baking soda sprinkled in and left in for a few days if possible, a couple pieces of charcoal in each boot, also left for a few days.  hope these ideas help. at last resort, ask him to leave outside so you won't have to endure the stench! lol

• Fri, Oct 10 2008 9:59 PM In reply to

I don't have that problem, I am not married.  But...

Maybe put an extra pair of socks and some foot powder in hubby's lunch box and have him change his socks and powder his feet during the day.  Or just sprinke the powder in the socks and stick them in a baggie and put them in his lunch.

I bet it will feel good to him!!!

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• Sat, Oct 11 2008 12:26 AM In reply to

I think there might be special inner soles out there.

But if it were me, I would take those boots right back, tell them the first pair was fine, and ask for another.  If that doesn't work, write the president of the company.  They won't like hearing a complaint like yours that would stop sales.

• Sat, Oct 11 2008 10:54 AM In reply to

I have read that if you crumble a newspaper up in the shoe portion, it is supposed to absorb the odor.

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 12:56 AM In reply to

Can I tell you what stinks here?!  YES, dh's work boots, also dh after work, also my two teens- I took them skating today, when my 14 yo son took his sweatshirt off and climbed in the car, I almost passed out.  I ask them two or three times a day, did you put on deoderant? Go do it again.  They shower and wash hair daily.

The baby makes stinks in her little diaper.

The frog and the frog tank stinks.

Life is stinky, and some things can't be cleaned very easily, the work boots, I throw them in the corner.  Funky bo is an ongoing concern , also.  Maybe we should Febreeze the work boots.  Maybe we should Febreeze dhs and teens.   

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Mon, Oct 13 2008 5:20 AM In reply to

I think there are inserts called Odor Eaters; they stay in the shoes/boots.  Hope this helps!

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Mon, Oct 13 2008 11:21 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Are his boots getting a chance to dry between wearings?  that can cause problems.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Oct 13 2008 11:37 PM In reply to

you might try making some baking soda packets (dump some baking soda in a couple of socks or some other cloth baggie and tie up the ends) and shove them into the boots at night when he takes them off.  That way you would have an ongoing odor eliminating system working. After a couple of days, dump out the baking soda, wash the socks and repack with new baking soda to be used again.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Anonymous

Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Anonymous
  • Wed, Oct 15 2008 12:56 PM In reply to

• sparkle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Posts 46

Also place dryer sheets in them at night.  You can reuse the dryer sheet for several weeks before replacing it.

Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us