Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gift ideas for people with arthritis, neuropathy, etc.

Last post 07-22-2009 6:52 AM by re-tired. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2008 12:37 AM

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 980

Gift ideas for people with arthritis, neuropathy, etc.

If you have any loved ones who have problems moving their hands, they would probably love some updated kitchen and garden supplies.  I saw OXO Good Grips utensils in stores like Target for years and liked them, but I didn't realize what a difference they made until I started having problems with my hands.  It turns out they were invented by a guy whose wife has arthritis.  I was familiar with their utensils but hadn't noticed that they also make tea kettles, watering cans, extendable scrubbers, etc.--all things that make life easier.  Plus, they look modern and trendy, not institutional, so they're more fun to get.

www.oxo.com

Some nice unbreakable glasses and dishes might be nice too if they tend to drop things like I do. 

There are also knife/cutting board sets available through various disability sites that make chopping a little safer and easier.  They are quite expensive though.

http://www.enablemart.com/

Some people might also like a Sport Seat.  www.sportseat.com  There are various related designs available on Amazon including a larger canvas seat. 

I hope this helps someone!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • 10-09-2008 3:23 AM In reply to

Re: Gift ideas for people with arthritis, neuropathy, etc.

With my neuropathies and circulation issues, I am forever looking for ways to keep my fingers and toes warm (and circulating!). I always appreciate getting those microwavable slippers and gloves. (You know, like the kind they always try to sell in the center of shopping malls for outrageously inflated prices around Christmas time?) Anyway, can't ever have too many and they're easy to make w/ even novice sewing skills. My favorite pair is made of flannel and has flax seeds as filler. Rice and lavendar are a nice filler too, but they don't seem to heat thru as evenly as the flax does. Happy sewing!

• 10-09-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

Thank you! My mom has neuropahty from her chemo and my dad's arthritis is really starting to bother him in his hands. This gives me some good, alternative gift ideas for both of them this year.

Erika
  • 10-09-2008 8:48 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 980

Annisette, welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that you have neuropathies and circulation issues!  I was recently diagnosed, and I'm trying to find as many things as I can that will help. That sounds like a great idea!  I would love to try to make some.  How do you make them?

Erika, I am so sorry that your parents are having a lot of trouble.  I'm glad that you got some ideas from this!  I hope they help them!

"...for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Better to have little, with fear for the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." Proverbs 15:15b-16 NLT

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.--Winston Churchill
  • 10-11-2008 7:20 PM In reply to

You can buy 2 different kinds of grabbers/reachers for people. I have both kinds of grabbers. I can tell you that they do make a big difference in my life.

I can also tell you that cats do not like it when you use a grabber to get their tail to keep them from getting into something they shouldn't. If you do it to a Siamese cat, you will hear loud yowls. I have always had kitties that got into mischief. LOL.

• 10-12-2008 10:52 PM In reply to

My mom has lupus (and also Reynaud's, and possibly RA), and I know she has serious issues with her hands. Circulation and being able to grip things are almost always a problem with her hands. Thanks for the ideas....I was really having a hard time coming up with some gift ideas for her (except for a new hair dryer, which is more within my sister's limited budget). Thanks again!!

~*~Angie~*~

• 07-04-2009 10:43 PM In reply to

a budget idea would be making heatable rice bags with lavender in them.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 07-05-2009 12:10 AM In reply to

when I was in my cr wreck I did my right hand in and of course had cancer  tommer in it no getting the arthrites since then it gets hard to use a regular can opener mimi thanks it may be expesive but I found what I need to look for a can opener that uses a magnet and easy to use for my right hand since its weak this will help...

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS ONE MORE TO BOOT THANKS...;)

• 07-07-2009 11:15 PM In reply to

• Mimi
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 980

I hope it helps you Cindy!!!

• 07-22-2009 6:52 AM In reply to

I saw a new product this week that I really want to get.  It is a larger "pop top" opener.  Not just for soda cans but for the new soup and canned meats and veggies that are being made with "easy open" lids.  Those things aren't really easy open if you have hand issues!

re-tired

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us