Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Food Storage on $5 a week

Last post Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:00 PM by Anna Marie. 72 replies.
Page 2 of 8 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 29 2008 5:31 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Food Storage on $5 a week

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I think you should stock what you actually eat

I agree but those who are only just beginning to consider stocking the pantry long term may not have any idea where to start or how to get it done on a budget. I think this list could help someone to get started.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Sep 29 2008 11:08 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I would trade some of the sugar for beans, oats, canned veggies/fruit and maybe things like powdered eggs.  It wouldn't work for our family!  especially with dh allergies to grains.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Sep 30 2008 9:33 AM In reply to

I think the idea behind the list is for basic things that you had to buy.  Some of these lists are from the LDS Church, and many plant gardens, have fruit trees, and would can the fruit and veggie items.  It is also assuming a stringent budget to build the storage, and tuna is probably the cheapest.  Many times I have read that a year's supply is their minimum recommendation.  Remember this is a list for 2 adults to "sustain life" for one year, and to double it for two additional people in the family.

I wouldn't want to eat that much tuna, either, but it seems that at least once a month Walgreens has other canned meats on sale, though more expensive:  Celebrity hams, 10 oz Hormel roast beef, canned corned beef for $1.99 -- their normal price is around $2.79 here.  Other weeks they have canned salmon, tiny shrimp, I think clams and sardines.  It would just take longer to build the stash if you limited yourself to the $5 or it would cost more money.

In any case it is always good to have food stores for lean times or emergencies. You may want to change what you buy but it's a good guide to start.

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Tue, Sep 30 2008 3:16 PM In reply to

I agree, it's a very good place to start, especially for those that aren't as far down the road storage-wise as so many of us here on the forum are :-).  Our dd23 just got her own apartment and it's just far enough away that we're encouraging her to begin her own storage system.  On her budget, after student loan payments and rent, the $5.00 a week idea is perfect...Liz
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 8:34 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25,145

JennyC:
    How many folks who are just beginning to think long-term are going to be able to mill all that wheat? And a grain mill is not a $5 item.

It is by no means a perfect list. No list will meet each family's individual needs completely. I posted it only to give direction to anyone who is thinking about self sufficiency and long term storage but feels overwhelmed on where to start and how.

I found this list as well, I believe I like it better than the first.  

• Wed, Oct 1 2008 8:35 AM In reply to

wow...........

i have only bought sugar 3 times this year for a total of 5 pounds white sugar, and 2 pounds brown sugar, and i buy flour every other month, and instant dry milk every month, (i dont bake a lot unless im depressed)

interesting list though

• Wed, Oct 1 2008 8:40 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25,145

latte4me2day:
    i dont bake a lot unless im depressed

That would cut down on the need for sugar and flour.

I don't have the storage set up for a year's supply of everything. My food and supply goal is to range from three months to a year's worth of items, depending on the items.

• Wed, Oct 1 2008 10:02 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25,145

JennyC:
     I was just thinking it might be aimed at a different group.

I realise that it may have been intended for those who already are doing things like cooking from scratch and grinding wheat and as you pointed, those people very likely already stock foods. But I wonder...how many people who already stock need a pre-done list to help them stock?

I used the list that was actually the best of what I found for someone trying to manage organised stocking on a budget. Then I found that second list I posted to you and find it far better suited for a beginner.

• Thu, Oct 2 2008 10:25 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

JennyC:
    A poll on who stocks, and how much, might be very interesting. I bet more are stocking now than were last month!

Any member of the forums can create polls, so go ahead! Smile  Instructions are here: Polls, step by step 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Oct 2 2008 11:03 AM In reply to

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there is a DS blog on preparing a 6-8 month pantry.

http://community.stretcher.com/blogs/homesteadmindset/archive/2008/09/30/preparing-the-6-8-month-pantry.aspx

Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 2 of 8 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us