Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Food Storage on $5 a week

Last post Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:00 PM by Anna Marie. 72 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 26 2008 1:49 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Inflation fighter [IF] Food Storage on $5 a week

If you are trying to build up a sizeable stock for your pantry but have been overwhelmed by the task, there is a site that may help you to get started and stay on track...

Buy foods for storage on $5 a week

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Sep 26 2008 3:17 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Food Storage on $5 a week

Thanks for referencing this. Its a great starting point for those who have no idea where to start or what to buy. I started my stash back in May and its amazing how much you can accumulate in a short amount of time.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Sep 28 2008 11:27 PM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

That's an interesting food list. Thanks for posting it.

Just tonight, my friend and I were talking about food rationing during WWII. (She is a bit older than me.) Anyway, we were talking about how, during the war, families were limited to 10 lbs. of sugar, for the whole year. Then she talked about the kinds of foods that were available, especially of the protein variety. I was surprised to learn that families on the home front were not allowed more than heads, tails, feets, brains, etc... I knew there were lots of rationed items, I just didn't realize it was so limited. Wow! And the only vegetables they had were grown in their own gardens.

As for the list I doubt I would use the honey, so something else would have to be added. I get free, organic honey, from my neighbor and give it to my step mom. About the only thing I use honey for is in tea when someone has a cough or sore throat. I doubt I could eat that much tuna either. I'm a basket case, huh? I think I would add beans to the mix. I didn't see any listed. 

Still, another interesting subject to think about. 

• Sun, Sep 28 2008 11:48 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

kinda of a strange list. very limited in products.  the idea is a good one but 24 cans of tuna and peanut butter is not much for protein.   no beans or other canned meat, or veggies and fruit as far as I can see.  180lbs of sugar?  I guess for canning etc.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Sep 29 2008 1:40 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I wonder how many people have a stock pile .. alot of people I know have nothing and what worse dont know how to cook  I have been looking at recipes for that period ... some good food

I be ok with that much peanut butter , my family loves it,

I guess I could think of alot more recipes with tuna .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Sep 29 2008 8:53 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    the idea is a good one but 24 cans of tuna and peanut butter is not much for protein

I am not sure how the author meant it but I view it as a starting point for those who need help figuring out how to start on a shopping plan for stocking...especially with little money for it.

I definitely would add beans and other things for a more customised plan.

• Mon, Sep 29 2008 10:17 AM In reply to

Thanks for the list, it is very interesting. I would have to customize as well but this is a great beginning point. Too much tuna for my family, lol. I would add beans and/or canned chicken. Instead of all mac and cheese, rotate with some bags/packages of pasta. Add in some rolled oats, too. The amount of sugar is alarming to me but I guess if I were in trouble, I would have to do a lot more baking and would appreciate the stash.

I guess this is for a true emergency of some sort but I would hope I could supplement/buy fresh items as well as fruit and veggies.

Erika
  • Mon, Sep 29 2008 1:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

mamasjob:
    The amount of sugar is alarming to me

The amount has to cover baking and canning, otherwise that is just ridiculous. Even then, it's still a rather large amount.

• Mon, Sep 29 2008 4:34 PM In reply to

Brandy:

mamasjob:
    The amount of sugar is alarming to me

The amount has to cover baking and canning, otherwise that is just ridiculous. Even then, it's still a rather large amount.

Yes, it has to be used for something like baking from scratch and canning--and lots of it. Otherwise, I can't imagine it for personal consumption. My teeth hurt reading the total pounds purchased, lol.

Erika
  • Mon, Sep 29 2008 5:10 PM In reply to

I think you should stock what you actually eat. My family hates tuna fish and 6 jars of peanut butter do us for a year.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 8 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us