Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Do You Serve With Soup Meals?

Last post Sun, Oct 5 2008 10:48 PM by happy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 1:15 AM

What Do You Serve With Soup Meals?

When you make a homemade soup and have it, what do you serve with it? Do you serve sandwiches with the soup or do you fix some sort of bread?

I'm trying to think of things to have for meals so that I can gradually stop buying crackers. I adore crackers like Triscuits, but they are pricey now. I believe that I'd enjoy something sweet (cookies, pie, or cake) more than some crackers.

Do you fix biscuits, rolls, or cornbread when you have soup? I know that cornbread goes nicely with things like chili or bean soup.

Please don't tell me to switch to eating popcorn. I am not allowed to eat it because of all my dental work in my mouth. I have 4 different crowns or bridges in my mouth. My dentist took me off of popcorn. Some of you may remember my experience with extreme pain last fall when I got my last crown.

Thanks !

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 2:01 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: What Do You Serve With Soup Meals?

I serve cornbread if the soup got beans , and other soups usually get a crusty bread.  but for some reason with Chicken noodle they want crackers

I generally serve a soup that a meal - but with tomato soup we also have scrambled egg sandwhiches , my DH was raised on Campbells and their house keeper always served  him tomato soup and scrambled egg sandwhiches

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 6:54 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Bean soups. we have cornbread. Chicken noodle soup is crackers. Veggie soups, DH like grilled cheese sandwich or peanut butter sandwich. We love soup. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 9:40 AM In reply to

• Patti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 232

I usually make thicker soups that are  a meal by themselves.  Do you have a bread machine?  I have recently gotten mine out and it is no trouble at all and you can fix different breads for different soups.  Everybody has enjoyed the fresh bread and toasting leftovers for breakfast.  I also put cheese slices on white bread and toast to go with soup.  Last night I needed some bread sticks to serve with a casserole, so I took some hot dogs buns that were in the fridge, sliced them lenthwise into little strips, melted some butter and coated them, then sprinkled with garlic salt and parmesan cheese and toasted in toaster oven.  They were a hit.  I always keep leftover hamburger and hotdog buns in the fridge to toast for dinner breads.

Patti

Loving life in Mississippi

"Do what you like- like what you do!"
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 9:49 AM In reply to

For cheesy soups, I serve biscuits. Tomato soup, I serve grilled cheese or hot ham or turkey and cheese. Chili is cornbread or DH and the boys like tortilla chips served with that (and quite a bit cheaper for a nice, store brand). I make a taco soup and serve tortilla chips with it. Sometimes we have cinnamon rolls or sweet rolls with chili. I've found the sweet with the savory is pretty good.

Veggie beef soup is often grilled cheese. Chicken noodle soup, well, we have drop biscuits usually. But the boys like PB & J with that.

For stews or thicker, heartier soups, a nice slice of buttered bread fits the bill. Especially clam chowder. I love sourdough bread and clam chowder!

Ham and bean soup was almost good by itself but I did make a garlic cheese bread with that soup.

We had potato soup last week and DH grilled some brats and that was a new twist and also tasty.

Erika
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 10:04 AM In reply to

Well it really just depends on what we're in the mood for.  Stews are normally sturdy enough to make dumplings, so often we'll have dumplings with stews.  Otherwise we normally have one of these:

• Breadsticks
    • Rolls (all types, whatever I feel like making and what we're in the mood for, from herbed to garlic cheese to sourdough)
    • Cornbread/corn muffins
    • biscuits
    • Focaccia (make it with pizza dough, I can slap up a "recipe" for using pizza dough to make focaccia or breadsticks if interested)
    • Bruschetta
    • Grilled Cheese
    • Sandwiches
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 11:25 AM In reply to

• pam578
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 17 2008
    • Posts 36

I never make sandwiches with soup unless the soup is out of a can. If the soup is hearty enough you don't need them.

Corn bread with chili

Biscuits with stew

Homemade bread with just about anything

I do like brown bread out of the can but not everyone in my household does

Oh and let's not forget dumplings

Homemade bread sticks or crescent rolls if I am in a ambitious mood.

• Tue, Sep 30 2008 1:00 PM In reply to

If it's tomato soup, I serve it with grilled cheese.  Chili or soups with lots of beans get served with homemade corn bread (corn + beans = a complete protein).  We have a local water-wheel powered grist mill that grinds locally grown corn, so any excuse for corn bread is a good one (though you need a fanny-slicer to buy a small bag of corn ... definately not a "frugal" purchase!)   The kids come with me to watch the 300 year old waterwheel turn the gigantic millstone to grind our corn, so I consider half the cost to be "entertainment expense."  We bake traditional "baking soda" sweet corn bread in the oven.

If I'm serving something Germanic in origin with sausage (hot dogs, keilbasa, bratwurst, gumbo, etc) or Boston baked beans, I like Russian Black Bread, any type of molasses-corn based bread, or Yankee Brown Bread (the kind you steam in an empty coffee can).  The molasses in the bread really meshes well with the sausages (just not italian spiced sausages, which prefer a white bread).

Anything else gets a hearty bread machine bread using whatever ingredients I'm in the mood for.  We bought a reasonably priced bread machine cookbook with over 100 recipes many years ago and it has earned it's keep.  The kids favorite is a semi-sweet apple-oatmeal-raisin yeast bread (made when we have leftover fruity oatmeal from breakfast).  Bread machine bread is fine, but in cold weather -if- I get back from after school activities before the machine kicks into the last "bake" cycle, I pull it out, hand knead it one extra time, and pop it in the oven to bake.  I realize this uses more energy, but the consistency from that extra step gives the bread the consistency of those fancy bakery artisan breads.  And if I don't get home in time or it's too hot outside ... bread machine bread is fine with a hearty homemade soup.

• Tue, Sep 30 2008 1:33 PM In reply to

Well, my response it not going to sound unique. Cornbread is always served with Chili I add a touch of honey and whole kernal corn to mine. With stews or chicken soup homemade white bread. With tomato soup we will have croutons (I make my own with the heals of the bread that I make). sliced baguettes work well too for the soup and for the croutons. Grilled cheese is great too. We don't do that often but it is great for a cold night. 

• Tue, Sep 30 2008 3:10 PM In reply to

Chili's or mexican-style soups get corn muffins.  Vegetable soups, chicken noodle soup, etc. get whole grain rolls or some type of "fancy" bread.  I buy my fancy bread on manager's discount from Kroger, normally for less than $1 and then freeze it until I need it or eat it right away.  Beef stew would get thick dense bread that could soak up the broth!

On the rare occassion that DD has canned chicken noodle soup, I'll splurge and give her goldfish crackers for the soup.  It's a compromise b/c the goldfish crackers are bought on sale and the kids noodle soup with shaped noodles is too pricey in my opinion.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us