Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

What are you still harvesting from your garden?

Last post Mon, Dec 7 2009 1:45 PM by babs. 104 replies.
Page 1 of 11 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 8:38 PM

What are you still harvesting from your garden?

All I have left is potatoes to dig, and 2 little bushes of chili peppers that I'm letting turn red. Most of my tomato plants are done except for 2 of them that still have green tomatoes.

Anything left in your gardens?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 9:09 PM In reply to

Re: What are you still harvesting from your garden?

DH has to get out and get the last of the tomatoes and the few pepper he got this year off their vines. I have to get the pears of the pear tree soon we had a bad windstorm last week and at first I thought we got off pretty lucky but over the weekend discovered that one of the highly loaded limbs was snapped in the storm. I talked with my cousin who owns the apple farm I went to over the weekend she suggested that I get the fruit off the limb then finish trimming it off. The reast of the pears (about 1 3/4 bushel) should be ready to harvest in another couple weeks and ds#1 is eyeing my grape vines for the juice.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 9:31 PM In reply to

I pulled my regular tomatoes but I still have cherry ones-(which I probably won't plant very many of next year because we had too many)-peppers and okra. The rest is from my fall/winter garden and none of those are ready yet.

http://singlemomurbanhomestead.wordpress.com/

http://frugalgravy.wordpress.com/

Frugal Recipes, Tips and Ideals!!!
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 9:41 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Picked enough green beans for a meal, bushel of apples, more peaches. A few green tomatoes. They are saying frost again for tonight. I covered the cuke that still have some small ones, one row of green beans, and two tomato plants with a few green ones. I am still getting sideshoots on the brocolli. I have carrots that arent dug. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 9:59 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

today we got several beans and some very small corn alot of chilis and alot of green tomatoes  I got my first look at the pumpkins and winter squash they doing fine ... we picked the sunflowers today they are hanging in the pole barn ...

we have people coming tomorrow to pick apples ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Sep 22 2008 10:15 PM In reply to

All my winter squash got killed by those shield bugs! And I love butternut squash with butter and brown sugar.

• Mon, Sep 22 2008 10:19 PM In reply to

I wish I could harvest fruit! We have wild grape vines that I make juice from. But this year I heard that fruit is very expensive at the farmers markets. My friend paid $28 for peaches, that's double what I used to get them for. I have enough that I can get by w/o buying but I am on my last jar of pears.

I usually buy deer apples for saucing and cider, but with Michigan's new ban on deer baiting this year there are no deer baits for sale...so no apples for sauce, and no carrots for canning.

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 6:59 AM In reply to

We still have green tomatoes and I have a few that are starting to ripen.  I harvested chives earlier this week and dried them.  I will harvest some garlic chives and more rosemary over the weekend. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 10:24 AM In reply to

Unfortunately, my garden is completely done now.  Even my sunflowers have gone by.  The marigolds are looking better than they did all summer though...lol.

• Tue, Sep 23 2008 12:01 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

I'm still getting occasional blooms on the summer squash, but the squash are maturing at very small sizes, so I decided to try eating the blossoms. They're good! I'd heard of this forever but never tried it. Would you believe the tomatoes are blooming again? It's been getting into the 40s at night and into the lower 80s during the day. There are actually a few tomatoes out there. It's a good thing I didn't destroy the plants earlier when I thought about it. 

Squirrels got the sunflowers, I won't try that again at all. The lettuce I planted for fall is almost eating size and there are still radishes, peppers are still blooming and setting fruit. Beans are drying on the vine, very slowly. I hope they make it before frost.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
Page 1 of 11 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us