Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Time Management

Last post Tue, Sep 16 2008 8:59 PM by latenightleader. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 12:27 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Time Management

I like the article titled "The Time Thieves" in this week's Dollar Stretcher. Even though I like to think of myself as fairly efficient, improvements can be made! I'm guilty of doing some of those things at least part of the time.  What about you? Do you manage your time as well as you could? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Time Management

This was a very good article. Overall I do okay but spend way more time than I should on the computer. Some of its research but time gets away from me when I get caught up in emails and forums. I find myself becoming a passive participant in life. For example, I'm fascinated by the stitching website and all the new charts and goodies, but I have this huge project waiting to get done. The one thing they mentioned was delegating. I have trouble with that because I'm fussy about how I do certain things and I've discovered I won't satisfied unless I do it my self.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 3:54 PM In reply to

Interruptions and delegation are the two areas of the article that I found "rob" me of my time. Kiddos always interrupt any project, the phone rings, the doorbell rings, etc. Delegation is a personal flaw that I have at work and home. I have let go of some of the control at home b/c I realized it didn't matter how DH folded the towels or sheets or the boys' socks, IT WAS DONE! No one is going to get after me b/c my towels are not folded in thirds. Doesn't matter. Or if DH only likes to make hamburgers, he is making dinner!

However, at work, it's a lot harder b/c if something goes wrong, it is still my fault. I actually have gotten in trouble for delegating something--something I thought was delagable but a higher-up saw differently. This person was offended that I did not handle the project personally and did not like how the other person did the research. So delegating at work is a little bit harder for me.

Erika
  • Mon, Sep 15 2008 5:13 PM In reply to

I'm very good at

procrastination.  

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 6:22 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

That's one of my strengths, too, Tracy! Smile 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 8:52 PM In reply to

Sometimes I can do everything but the thing I need to, and some days I can just not get around to the things I need to do, no matter what.  Luckily, I don't have many of those days in a row, I usually can wake up and get things off the list after a procrastination day.  

Pat, at least I'm in good company. 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Mon, Sep 15 2008 9:40 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Interruptions a terrible problem for me for so many years it was just DH and I and the kids there wasnt any one else so we did everything

well now there Family and there always something but I have learned delegation only way we can operate with this family ,, 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Sep 16 2008 11:26 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

latenightleader:
    Sometimes I can do everything but the thing I need to, and some days I can just not get around to the things I need to do, no matter what.

I've found that if I make a list and put it where I'll see it as I start my day, it kind of helps kick start things. I look forward to crossing things off the list and also having the remainder of the day worry free if I get the main things done. Still, I blow it now and then. Some days I just don't look at the list.  Wink 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Tue, Sep 16 2008 4:06 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

It helps to break those to-do lists into smaller bits: rather than organize kitchen-->cleean out 3 drawers or cleean under sink.  Many tasks only take 5 or 10 minutes when broken into bits, rather than a 4 hour project.  It is motivating to see lots and lots bits crossed off the list rather than the BIG project that doesn't seem to get any attention.  This can be applied to all areas.  

Also, I like to use the carrot on the stick approach for myself: just complete a, b, c then you can use the computer for 30 minutes.  

Having a routine/schedule is also a help in time management.  

But I have room to improve, despite the above!  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Tue, Sep 16 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

rolo:
    rather than organize kitchen-->cleean out 3 drawers or cleean under sink

Then again, move three boxes so you can USE the sink! 

All kidding aside, I think we all need to remember to break our tasks down so we don't go into overwhelm.

Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us