Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How long can you use Evaporated Milk?

Last post Wed, Nov 5 2008 10:17 PM by Joyous. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 10:19 AM

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 26 2007
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

How long can you use Evaporated Milk?

How long will cans of Evaporated Milk last? I'm talking about how far past the use, sell by or expiratation date. I always figured canned goods like vegetables could be used for several years beyond the expiratation date provided they weren't dented, bulging or smelled funny. But what about Evaporated Milk? I have a dozen cans that are 3 years old and another dozen cans that are 2 years old. They've been stored in a dark cool place (cupboard in my basement). I know I've used a can of evaporated milk at least a year past the expiration date before and it was fine.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

http://community.webshots.com/user/katestitching
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 10:40 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: How long can you use Evaporated Milk?

If you don't find your answer here, try calling the company and see what they recommend. They may, for liability reasons err on the side of caution and offer a very conservative estimate. If you take this route, please let us know what you find out. I was thinking of purchasing some myself but on the other hand I may not use it for anything, so it will just sit.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 11:41 AM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

I wasn't going to call the company because I'm sure legally, they'd tell you not to use past the expiration date. I was googling it online and ran into one stack of posts about all canned food, not just evaporated milk and the general concenus was as long as it spelled and looked fine, it was edible. However, evaporated milk doesn't last as long as say a can of peas. I opened up my can today that was marked 2005 and it looked fine (not lumpy) and smelled okay, so was going to go ahead and use it. That's 2 years past the expiration date. I found a slow cooker recipe for macaroni and cheese that calls for 3 cups of evaporated milk. I have alot of evaporated milk and dry milk to use up and since my kids love mac & cheese, I thought this would be a good way to use it up. Evaporated milk always have an "off" color as it's rather beige, so you can't go by that. But it smelled fine and wasn't lumpy, which I know are signs it's going bad. I figured some of you other frugal folk might have an idea how long its still usable. I know dry milk is good as long as it isn't moldy or anything, and is still in a sealed package.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Sun, Sep 14 2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Usually with any canned goods, if the can isn't rusty or corroded, and not puffy, then what is inside should be okay. Canned milk will turn a darker color than when brand new, but it is still usable. I've used 3 year old cans with no problems. Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 12:31 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

Thanks Edey. I'm trying to use up what I have so all the old cans of Evaporated Milk get used up. I've had to search for recipes that weren't desserts that call for it. I had gotten it in bulk when my milddle child was on Commodities. Now youngest is on it and I'm trying to use up what's already in the pantry. I'm trying out that slow cooker recipe for homemade mac & cheese today to see how it turns out. Most expensive part of the ingredients, since I already had the milk and the macaroni was 3 cups of shredded cheese. (A box of mac & cheese would be way way cheaper, but trying to use up what I've got.) I had some shredded cheese in the house, but commodities also gives us american cheese (think velvetta) that I'll use next time. So basically this was a use up the pantry meal.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Sun, Sep 14 2008 12:38 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

Re: Evaporated Milk? - Recipe for slow cooker mac & cheese

Since I mentioned it, I might as well list my recipe for slow cooker mac & cheese that used the evaporated milk. I found the recipe in the Fix It & Forget It Cookbook.

8 oz pkg dry macaroni, cooked

2 TBsp oil

13 oz can evaporated milk *

1 1/2 cups milk *

1 tsp salt

3 cups (1/2 lb) shredded cheese: cheddar, american, velvetta, or a combination

2-4 TBsp melted butter

2 TBsp onion, chopped fine

4 hotdogs, sliced, optional

In slow cooker, toss macaroni in oil. Stir in remaining ingredients except hot dogs. Cover. Cook on low 2-3 hours. Add hot dogs, if desired, and cook 1 hour longer. Makes 6 servings.

* VARIATION: Use 3 cups evaporated milk (2 - 13oz cans), instead of 13oz evaporated milk and 1 1/2 cups milk.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Sun, Sep 14 2008 3:48 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I used from  my larder I know a couple years old ..

it does turn a tan color but it ok to uze then too.. 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 3:57 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

I don't use evaporated milk often but even new it isn't white. This wasn't lumpy or smell funny so I used it. I have so many cans (near 3 dozen, but 2 dozen of which are 2 or 3 years old) that I wanted to use them up if I could instead of tossing them. I'm not the only one using past the expiration date then. WIth canned vegetables I don't have a problem. I just wasn't sure how far the milk would stretch. Thanks for all the help.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

• Sun, Sep 14 2008 5:45 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I use evaporated milk in bisquits, pancakes, mac and cheese, any box mix like lipton sides that calls for milk. I would think that if you open it and dont use it all that you could freeze what is leftover. Homemade fudge needs evaporated milk. I am sure that there are others receipes that use it.   I know one more, pumpkin pies, rice puddings.  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sun, Sep 14 2008 9:16 PM In reply to

• Kate
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 546

I've never used evaporated milk in place of regular milk in recipes. I've reconstituted powdered milk in place of fresh milk. The only recipe I've ever made that called for evaporated milk was pumpkin pie.

~Kate
    Mum of 3 boys

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us