Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What have you put up for winter (from your garden, etc.)?

Last post 09-14-2008 4:49 AM by shrewgirl2020. 68 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2008 12:23 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

What have you put up for winter (from your garden, etc.)?

Yesterday I started brined pickles for the first time in several years. I don't eat pickles all that much except in things like tuna salad, but I remembered how good brined pickles used to be and then I thought the reason I don't eat them is that store bought pickles just don't taste as good. At least the ones I can afford don't! 

I've frozen enough green beans for the winter. I'm going to can them when the weather cools down some. I have also frozen mixed greens, beet greens and purslane. I should have enough of that until next year. Tomatoes were a disappiontment this year, so I won't have any of those put up. Other than that, I have corn and broccoli put up. I think I'll dehydrate some yellow crook neck squash for later use, but unless I run across a super buy somewhere, that's about it. I do have a few potatoes in the ground and some peppers yet to deal with. 

What have you put up for the winter?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-08-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: What have you put up for winter (from your garden, etc.)?

Pat,

Tracy has dubbed my lady friends and I The Canning Club, but we have put up the following: 

Orange Marmalade

Four Fruit Marmalade

Blueberry Jam

Apricot Jam

Strawberry Jam

Cherry Jam

I also have cranberries frozen and black raspberries, some mulberries, maybe a little blueberries thing. Not sure but I may also have red raspberries frozen -- Rhonda found them in her freezer after we thought we jammed all of them. I could do up some cranberry sauce and maybe pie filling from some of this.

Still have 10# of cherries in Sandy's fridge freezer -- I am thinking cherry juice.

Planning to pick either blackberries or blueberries tmw just to do it. Otherwise, the dog events will overtake me & I won't get to do any of it.

I also bought 2 bottles of apple juice hoping to make apple jelly and/or apple/mint jelly.

Our garden has not done well enough for us to put up anything as far as vegetables -- we may try square foot gardening next year.  Meanwhile, we are going to attempt to buy some and can.  We also plan to do apples when they are in season:  sauce, pie filling, butter.  Rhonda wants to do peaches and I am still in search of greengage plums (Reine Claude).

Oh, I was given some herbs and dehydrated them -- first use of dehydrator!

That's it so far!

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • 08-08-2008 2:22 PM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

I have put nothing up, yet. Sunday my granddaughter and I are going to a local farm and I will be buying a 25lb sack of cucumbers which cost $15. I might buy more than that. I will also get the fresh dill there. I will be checking out what else they have. Most of the Oregon crops aren't ready until about August (corn, bean, peppers). I am going to make spicy garlic dill pickles, and some refrigerator bread and butter pickles.

I might make some jam, too. It is probably cheaper for me to just by the jam at the store. This week Fred Meyer/Krogers has their brand of preserves on sale 3/$4.00. This includes blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, apricot, and orange marmalade. I already bought 6 jars, but I may go get some more tomarrow, before the sale runs out. $1.33 a jar is not bad.(for me, anyway)

• 08-08-2008 2:54 PM In reply to

Put up some cherry jam and some apricot jam....bread and butter pickels, dill pickels, swiss chard and some basil....and my tomatoes aren't very good either...so probably later I'll only freeze a little.... 

Nebraska
  • 08-08-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

Pat, can purslane be canned?  Thanks!

I have seen some rose hips, and may try to get some!

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • 08-08-2008 5:55 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

Lynnea Berr:
    Pat, can purslane be canned? 

Yes, it can. Use the directions for greens or spinach. The best thing I ever did with it was to pickle it, though. Use a hot pack for plain dill pickled vegetables - it's so good that way.

Lynnea Berr:
    I have seen some rose hips, and may try to get some!

I always have great plans for rose hips but never do a lot with them. I remember Mom making rose hip jelly that was great. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-11-2008 1:49 AM In reply to

Pat:
    Yes, it can. Use the directions for greens or spinach. The best thing I ever did with it was to pickle it, though. Use a hot pack for plain dill pickled vegetables - it's so good that way.

Thanks, Pat!  If I can glean some from my yard, I may try it.  I've got several things going this month -- two dog events that last entire weekends, and family coming in from TX, my older sister's BD coming up.  I went to pick blueberries Saturday morning -- in the fields at 8 AM through to about 11.  I got not quite 7# so got them for $1.99 per pound.  They are in the bag in the fridge.  I am thinking about canning them, or maybe dehydrating some, making a bottle of blueberry vinegar to try, maybe.  Because it's cool here right now, blackberries are not yet at their peak and are slow to ripen.  Perhaps they will be ready next week.  The berry farm where I pick blueberries also has blackberries, and I had just read Babs post in the canning dilemma thread that she picked blackberries and made blackberry jelly.

I remember my Grandma making quince jelly and just loving that to pieces.  It's one of those things you don't hear about people having much anymore -- gooseberries, too.  One of my coworkers and I were talking about canning and he was recounting all the bushes and trees his mother had in the yard and they all bore fruit!  Flowers are pretty, but not many are that great for eating here. 

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • 08-11-2008 7:01 AM In reply to

• bluesong
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2008
    • Portland, Oregon
    • Posts 260

Yesterday my granddaughter (age 21) and I drove out to a local farm called Krugers Farm Market at a place on Sauvie's Island. It is a huge island that is mostly all farming land and alot of crops are grown there. My granddaughter was amazed that we could be out in the "country" with all this farm land, only 15 minutes from downtown Portland. I had not been out there for several years and this farm market was double the size since I had been there last. I bought 3 - 10lb bags of cukes for making pickles. They were $10 a bag. One of the bags I got ALL of cukes are the 3 inch size (my favorite) so I grabbed it quick.Wink.We also got some red bell peppers, zucchini, crookneck squash, green beans (for making some dilly beans to can), a huge bunch of fresh dill, jalapeno and serrano peppers,onions, and a watermelon. All of their watermelons were $5 no matter what size. We got a big one and cut it in half when we got home, so she could take half, home with her.

There was also a display of handmade aprons that they were selling there ( Hmm..... why didn't I think of that!) She was looking at them all and wishing she had an apron to wear when she cooked. I was slightly surprised that she even knew what a apron was. LOL! They were all the half-aprons that tie around your waist. I could use a couple of aprons myself, so I am going to look for a pattern and sew up a few.

On the way home we found a place to eat from my Entertainment book. We went to a Mexican place that you buy one entree and the 2nd one is free. I paid for dinner because we used her car to go out to the farm. What a fun day we had !!

• 08-11-2008 9:03 AM In reply to

This year so far:

88 qt canned green beans, 22 qt broccoli frozen, 6 qt cauliflower frozen, 6 qt canned pickled peppers.  9 pints of canned peas.(I'm the only one that eats them!)

I have tomatoes slowly coming in, I need to make spag. sauce, pizza sauce, plain sauce, ketchup, and salsa. I still have 8 qt canned tomatoes from last year. I still have 4 qt canned carrots from last year. I have alot of applesauce and peaches canned from last year, but I'm down to 1 qt pears. I have ALOT of pickles left, so I think I'll just have the cucumbers raw. I have a lot of jams left, so I won't make any this year. I have 6 half gallon jars of canned grape juice left, so I'll need more when the grapes come in...if I get them before the deer do! I have 6 bags of frozen pumpkin from last year, hopefully it's still good...the squash bugs are destroying my pumpkin vines.

Potaoes are ready to dig and put in the crawlspace soon. I sort out the small ones and can them.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 08-11-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    88 qt canned green beans, 22 qt broccoli frozen, 6 qt cauliflower frozen, 6 qt canned pickled peppers.  9 pints of canned peas.(I'm the only one that eats them!)

OMG!  I think you get the prize for canning your head off!  I am really impressed!

Maybe you could sell some of your excess cukes since you have so many pickles left, or trade for something you don't have?

Lynnea the Dogmom
Page 1 of 7 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us