Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Organic Budget Busters! Any Organic Only eaters out there?

Last post 02-05-2012 9:16 PM by grame. 48 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2008 10:50 PM

Organic Budget Busters! Any Organic Only eaters out there?

Hi all my Frugal Friends!

I have been feeling under the weather lately and I decided I think its because of all the beef in my fridge.  I was actually saving money by buying it on sale and I think I over did it and ate too much.  Well.... it got me thinking... maybe I should not eat beef at all!   The last few days I have felt much better with ground turkey, fish and chicken!

But then to take it one step further I was wondering about going completely organic.  So I paid a visit to Trader Joes and also looking at the organics offered at the regular stores such as Vons, Ralphs, Albertons to name a few in So. Cal.   I think it is almost double in price and there are never any coupons for it.

Are there any organic only / no beef eaters out there and do you have any ideas how  I can transition into that way and not go broke.  Does anyone think eating it like half the time is worth it?  I would really like to go fully organic!!!

Please let me know what you think, even if you are not an organic eater!  Thanks so much!

dmc 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 07-10-2008 10:59 PM In reply to

Re: Organic Budget Busters! Any Organic Only eaters out there?

I think it's a great move since you are doing it for health reasons! I would love to do organic but it is cost prohibative for me. I buy some things here and there. If you can find a way to ease into it, it won't seem as shocking in price (in my mind)...  and will be cheaper than medical bills!

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 07-10-2008 11:01 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

I think if you can eat it only part of the time, it's worth it. That means that much less pesticides, herbicides and hormones you're eating. I eat organic as much as I can for health reasons, but I don't eat everything organic, much as I'd like to. (My penny pinching nature kicks in.) I started with raw vegetables and fruit and slowly worked my way into dairy and meat. 

If you look around and take your time, you can sometimes find some pretty good deals on organic products. If you have a farmer's market nearby, go there and ask the vendors what they think about organic or naturally grown food. Since it's expensive to get certified organic, many small growers are simply "natural," but they don't use any chemicals at all and for all practical purposes, are organic. 

Look for coupons from larger companies like Organic Valley - they'll send you several if you sign up at their site.

For meat, get as close to the source as you can. If you can buy straight from the producer, you'll save money.

In my opinion, organic is worth it, and in the long run, it's frugal because it's healthy. I've found that for some of it, at least, I'm satisfied with eating less, too.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 07-10-2008 11:23 PM In reply to

Yes, I agree, it is costly!  But today I found 5 cans of organic beans for 4.  That wasn't too bad.  I found some Org. pasta as well, but unfortunatly it wasn't whole wheat, I wonder if you can get both.  I will have to check out Trader Joes for that. 

I think easing into is a great idea.  I am going to do that. It is more expensive, but it is just the two of us.  And Pat, I told my daughter exactly what you said, we can eat less!  She is 9 and a big eater.  I didn't really mean SHE has to eat less, but that I do, I can stand to lose a few lbs.  She didn't like the idea until I clarified I was talking about me.  LOL  She is def. a growing girl and loves to eat.

I talked her out of ice cream and into fruit bars.  We were over doing a bit too much and I think a nice non toxic diet for us both even if most of the time is going to be the way to go!  She is actually developing and I think its the hormones!  Very scary.

I am heading over to that web site for coupons!  tonight is farmers market night here in town, so I missed that, maybe next thursday! 

Thanks again all.  I will ease into it and do the best I can, it can only help!  

dm 

Henry Ward Beecher wrote, "It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich."

• 07-10-2008 11:27 PM In reply to

Do you have any of these stores around?  Maybe you already heard of this brand?

http://www.wildharvestorganic.com

;-)

• 07-11-2008 9:27 AM In reply to

only store here that carries the wildharvest stuff is albertsons.........

do you have a printer? eatbetteramerica.com has organic muir glenn coupons, and organic cascadian farms organic coupons taht can be printed ( i use these at walmart and get organic canned tomatoes for 16 cents a can--regular non organic is 89 cents acan!!, and i get orgainc frozen brocli for 48 cents a bag---both tomatoes adn brocli are my favorites , so thats what i get, i dont know how much the other muier glenn and cascadian farms products are)

kashi foods are g ood too----i dont have a link handy at this moment---but thier walfels are 1.78 at walmart, and i was able to print a 2.00 off any coupon from thier website

so yes we eat organic, not exclusivly, but i get what i can in my budget of 60 a week.......and i have found that with coupons, i can get some organic foods for less then storebrand no name foods......when i get a chance i have a few other links that are good, ill post those probably later today for you

• 07-11-2008 10:38 AM In reply to

Thank you so much for this information!  I am going to check it out and I have been thinking about this all morning, how I am going to weed out the non organic stuff as I go.  I am trying not to be too weird about it.  I realize it will be impossible to do it all the time, like restaruants and other peoples homes!  But I really want to make this effort!

Can't wiat to see your other links!
    Thankstuff as I go. I am trying not to be too weird about it. I realize it will be impossible to do it all the time, like restaruants and other peoples homes! But I really want to make this effort! Can't wiat to see your other links! Thanks

• 07-11-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,458

Here's the direct link to Organic Valley coupons: 

http://www.organicvalley.coop/coupons/

If you see organic products you'd like to try, look for their web site. Often, they'll have printable coupons there. Sign up for any newsletters they may have because they sometimes send coupons in them. Every time you have a chance, give them your mailing address!  And if all else fails, email them and ask. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 07-11-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

I can't speak for the price of Trader Joe's in your area, but when DB and I had a Trader Joe's local we actually spent a lot less on groceries than we do now, and we were eating an almost 100% organic diet.  Many of TJ's food is what we would call "convenience foods," but less or equivalent to store-brand prepacked at our local discount grocer. We found that the organic food at Trader Joe's was more filling and tasted much better, so we ate less and felt much healthier.  If the nearest TJ wasn't an hour's drive I would still do the bulk of my shopping there.

• 07-11-2008 11:53 AM In reply to

If you do a google search on top foods that should be organic it will come up with a list that you can slowly gradually transition to.  I know they say you should start with dairy and then beef then fruits and veggies.  Also some fruits and veggies there are no point in buying organic like avocados but some like grapes that it is worth it.  I wish I could recall a listing that I had found on the web that listed the top 12 veggies and fruits you should buy organic and like 10 that you shouldn't bother with.  I did research when I was making my daughter her baby food.

Page 1 of 5 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us