Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How to stock an RV to live in ?

Last post Sun, Jul 25 2010 12:49 AM by jayashiangel. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 9 2008 7:23 AM

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 19 2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

How to stock an RV to live in ?

My new  job is too far from my house for me to drive every day ...so we are going to set the RV up half way between home and where i will be working . Not only making it closer for me ...but hubby will be closer to his job as well . Any advice on how to stock such a small space / how to live in such a small space or ..how not to step on your DH in such a small space ..would be greatly appreciated !! Has any of you  ever stayed in an RV for any length of time ? ( I`m looking at 3-4 months here ) We have found a great place to park it and will be coming home one day  a week

• Wed, Jul 9 2008 8:28 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: How to stock an RV to live in ?

lynn:
    Has any of you  ever stayed in an RV for any length of time ?

My family of five lived in a travel trailer for 2 1/2 years. It was difficult with so many of us but I think my husband and I alone would have been more comfortable.

Think small and compact. Full size appliances and furnishings are actually cheaper than their compact siblings but RVs are not meant for full size living.

Think minimal as well, the more stuff you have the less space you have to move around in. Do you have good storage compartments? I found we could pack in more than we thought into those.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 9 2008 9:18 AM In reply to

3-4 months isn't too bad. Like Brandy said, she was in one for a few years and a whole family at that! At least with 3-4 months you can focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.

The only suggestion I have to add is from my childhood camping days (we now camp in a tent): If the camper has one of those pull out awnings then set you up a space underneath it to add to your "living room". Meaning, get some comfortable fold up chairs, perhaps a piece of that outdoor carpet to lay down, a small "card" table (to cook, eat and play on) and then either a small grill or something to cook on outside. This way, even if it's raining, ya'll can spent a little more time outside rather than stepping over each other in the camper. Also, if you provide yourself a way to cook outside, it's a lot roomier and it won't heat up the trailer.

God bless and enjoy ya'lls adventure! LOL

Julie

• Wed, Jul 9 2008 10:02 AM In reply to

It's great that you are looking at giving each other space that you will each need.  :-)

Do the grounds have facilities where people can gather together to socialize?  That is sometimes a good option.  People like to get together to just talk, play games, and sometimes there is entertainment provided or the grounds plans potlucks, etc.

Someone mentioned an awning, which I must agree is good thinking.  You might also consider, if it is in your budget, one of those gazebos with sides that have screens and/or tarps for sides -- would extend the living space even more and keep out bugs.  Watch though, some are marketed as sunshades and the tops are not waterproof!  If you find yourself with one of these, a waterproof tarp can be bungeed over the top. 

Some places I have seen in decorating books have shown places where people have "tent cities" and live in them in the summer.  They furnish with oddments of furniture (aka frugally) put down old carpets (probably over tarps), put in extra beds for overnight guests, etc.  If I have a chance, I will look at my older magazines for the names of these places.  I think one is in NJ, but not certain right now. 

It sounds like you will be combining the best of both worlds:  working while camping.  Sounds like a working vacation, and you should find many ways to make your stay a most pleasant one.

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Wed, Jul 9 2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

Take a look at the forums at www.rv.net. You will find a wealth of information on RVs and living in them, and there's a whole section on "full-timing" which is what you're about to do.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Thu, Jul 10 2008 5:26 PM In reply to

Lynnea Berr:
    Some places I have seen in decorating books have shown places where people have "tent cities" and live in them in the summer.  They furnish with oddments of furniture (aka frugally) put down old carpets (probably over tarps), put in extra beds for overnight guests, etc.  If I have a chance, I will look at my older magazines for the names of these places.  I think one is in NJ

I did some research and the place I am thinking of is Ocean Grove NJ.  Here are some links which show the outsides of some of the tents.

Ocean Grove NJ

http://blog.nj.com/shorephotos/2007/06/ocean_grove_shore_away_from_th.html

http://www.oceangrovenj.com/

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/nj1/chap3.htm

http://www.oceangrovehistory.org/HistoricBuildings/TentCity.htm

Lynnea the Dogmom
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 10 2008 10:49 PM In reply to

I'd make homemade mixes of things you use for cooking your favorite dishes. I'd buy powdered milk for cooking plus the spices and herbs you use in your recipes. I'd make up menus and plan the grocery list of things that you'll need for these meals.

• Fri, Jul 11 2008 9:06 AM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • NC
    • Posts 267

Thank you all for the help. Walt the rv.net site was very helpful ..hubby now says maybe we need a larger rv and sell the house ! Lynnea loved the sites with the tent cities ..reminds me of camping weeks at a time when I was younger.

Our RV is small 16 ft with a berth over the cab which I am going to use for storage .   Brandy our fridge needs replaced and we are looking at getting a small full size one .Juju Mommy  I like the idea of making a cooking space outside ...I don`t cook much but hubby loves to cook ..that will be his space Big Smile Which reminds me to look for a canopy today ! Hubby has lived in the same house for 36 yrs !!! So it is going to be harder on him than on me ...but he is excited about our new adventure too .

Va Needlewoman ..mixes are a good idea ...I have some cook books I used when the kids were small called ..make a mix ..gonna drag them out ...I use to make several of the mixes and they sure saved time . You also reminded me to add spices to my list !

Again I thank you all for the help .

Lynn

• Fri, Jul 11 2008 9:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

lynn:
    we are looking at getting a small full size one

Will your electrical system be able to handle that?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Jul 11 2008 11:32 AM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • NC
    • Posts 267

Brandy:

lynn:
    we are looking at getting a small full size one

Will your electrical system be able to handle that?

yes it will Brandy ..hubby already checked ...thank you for thinking of it . This RV park is great ...has 2 water slides ..3 swimming pools ...laundry mat ...even a restaurant for the nites we don`t want to cook Big Smile It also has lots of  year round campers . They have cook outs , bingo, craft classes  for kids and adults ....gosh lots of things .Of course hubby and I will mostly be at work but an evening swim sounds good ...oh yes ...and a fishing lake  for hubby !!

Page 1 of 4 (32 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us