Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Mosquitoes, how to get rid of them naturally???

Last post Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:51 AM by Tussiemussies. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 6:25 PM

Mosquitoes, how to get rid of them naturally???

I am raising an organic garden and raising organic chickens and to get to them I have to go through mosquitoes. I have a pool that we have clorinated and I don't have any other standing water. It does keep raining here but how do I prevent mosquitoes out of our yard???

http://singlemomurbanhomestead.wordpress.com/

http://frugalgravy.wordpress.com/

Frugal Recipes, Tips and Ideals!!!
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 7:09 PM In reply to

Re: Mosquitoes, how to get rid of them naturally???

A friend forwarded me something about putting Listerine in a spray bottle and spraying it around your deck/yard to kill mosquitos.  But then I found at snopes.com that neither listerine nor Lemon Fresh Joy in a dish attract and kill mosquitos.  I personally havent't found anything natural that works like DEET, except citronella candles.  Of course this is impractical for your situation, but maybe planting citronella plants in the area would work??

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 9:22 AM In reply to

I've never heard of citronella plants. I wonder where I can find them. I've been to all the nurserys in my area, though I wasn't looking for that, I wonder wheer I could find it.

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 3:18 PM In reply to

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-09/970199522.Bt.r.html

Hhhmm, well, I just looked online and found this post about citronella plants.  Apparently, even though citronella oil works to repel mosquitos, the plant does not.  Maybe someone else has a suggestion, I have just never heard of a way to eliminate mosquitos from your yard.  Good luck.

• Wed, Jun 25 2008 11:07 AM In reply to

Well, we cut the grass. Still have some weeds to cut down. We made a tea from catnip leaves and sprayed it all over the garden and myself because some mosquitoes were trying to attack me while I was spraying. I was glad to know it was natural. I got some marigolds and there is definately less mosquitoes than before but there's still enough to notice esp. where the chickens are and around the garden(s). I'm not sure if it was one or the other or the combo that got rid of most but I noticed that there definately were less. I looked up the citronella plants and everyone said they get rid of mosquitoes but they're hard to find. I probably will have to get the oil and spray it around. I need to get rid of the weeds by the chickens.

• Wed, Jun 25 2008 12:21 PM In reply to

leasmom:

I got some marigolds and there is definately less mosquitoes than before but there's still enough to notice esp. where the chickens are and around the garden(s). I'm not sure if it was one or the other or the combo that got rid of most but I noticed that there definately were less. I looked up the citronella plants and everyone said they get rid of mosquitoes but they're hard to find. I probably will have to get the oil and spray it around. I need to get rid of the weeds by the chickens.

I know that marigolds repell a lot of insects... they have an unpleasant smell. I plant them by my vegstable garden (especially around tomatoes) and they do work. I guess they would work on mosquitos too.

Also, there is an herb, a ground cover, called Pennyroyal. I have a lot of it in my garden. It smells kind of like mint and to me it just looks like a weed. But it is a natural repellant. I took an herb workshop one time in high school and the lady showed us how you can take a spray bottle with water and put a bunch of the pennyroyal in it to make a spray to use on your skin. She suggested planting it around stepping stones and around porches so that when stepped on they'd give off the minty-smell and would repell the mosquitos.

Living in southern Lousisiana, I don't think we could ever get rid of our mosquitos. LOL. I have the worse problem with them getting inside the house and totally attacking my daughter (now 17 months old). We go around the house to try to find and kill them before bed time but those things hide!

God bless,

Julie

• Sat, Jul 5 2008 8:31 PM In reply to

Ditto about the marigolds, but also try geraniums. Geraniol (from geraniums) was a component of the natural insect repellent spray I bought, and it works, along with its other ingredient, wintergreen oil. The wintergreen can burn if you have a cut or get it on sensitive skin like your face though.

But growing lots of mint, geraniums, marigolds, and other strong/spicy scented things seems to help. Wintergreen berries grow up here in Maine, and are actually and endangered native plant, as well as edible, but not sure where else they grow, and anyway they are slow-growing ground covers that prefer shade. If you live in a hot climate, you may be able to grow citronella plants, which *if you crush a few leaves* may help keep mosquitoes out of the area.. better yet, crush the leaves and brush your skin with them. And if you can't grow citronella, grow mint and do the same thing. And oh yes, geranium leaves are juicy, you should be able to crush one and wipe it on your skin. I think they stink horribly, but so do mosquitoes. Worth a try!

• Sat, Jul 5 2008 8:52 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

When we first moved to Vt, we would find wintergreen in the woods. Havent seen any in a long time. I loved the small. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sun, Jul 6 2008 8:44 AM In reply to

Thats funny, the mosquitoes seem to hang out near the mint more maybe because next to it is the tomatoes, not sure. But since putting out the marigolds, they have died down and aren't in hoards like before and we have been spraying ourselves with Off but the last few days with it being cool, we haven't had to do that.

• Sun, Jul 13 2008 12:16 PM In reply to

• wlarue
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Posts 2

I have had great luck with a product called "Mosquito Barrier".  It contains only CONCENTRATED garlic, some ascorbate (vitaminC) and another preservative called sodium benzoate, all pretty innocuous. I live right on a lake, so cannot use synthetics to get rid of these pests.  We literally couldn't go outside without being swarmed, even during the day.  Apparently the oils in garlic are toxic to mosquitoes, gnats and wood tics, and while direct application will kill the bugs, the odor from the sulphur compounds contained in garlic is enough to totally repel the critters.  It can even be mixed with safflower oil and natural (not synthetic) soap liquid to apply to standing water.  In practice, it is mixed with water and sprayed on everything - grass, trees, bushes, deck structures (especially the ground underneath the deck) and walls of buildings.  These all act as carriers of the odor, which to our noses dissapates within a couple of hours (until then your property smells like an Italian Restaurant) but which is effective against bugs for 2-4 weeks.  My experience is that this stuff works, without using substances that would injure the aquatic life or the people around the lake.  One interesting side effect is that it also repels geese and rabbits.  Great Stuff!  By the way, I do not work for the company that makes this product, but I'm an enthusiastic user.

Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us