Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Poll: Commuting Costs

Last post Thu, Feb 21 2013 10:01 AM by Juneflower. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 12:44 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Poll: Commuting Costs

For those of you who drive to work every day, what kind of steps have you taken to keep the cost reasonable?

What are you doing to reduce the cost of commuting?

• Started carpooling (9.4%)
    • Shifted hours to avoid rush hour traffic (0%)
    • Switched to a more fuel efficient vehicle (smaller car, motorcycle, scooter) (6.3%)
    • Began telecommuting one or more days a week (3.1%)
    • Changed driving habits to conserve gas (46.9%)
    • Changed jobs (0%)
    • Something else (tell us about it!) (34.4%)
    • Total Votes: 32

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 1:03 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Poll: Commuting Costs

DH is the one who is out driving. I work at home. He recently bought a motercycle to use. Found one for $1200. We had the cash to pay for it. Insurance is less that a car too. We are selling our old car. Have an offer. That will give us a$1,000 back in savings. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 1:15 PM In reply to

• AmyC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 24 2007
    • Posts 868

Dh has a job where he needs to go to different job sites everyday, so petrol is a huge issue!  Recently he has been carpooling, or riding in the company truck.  It also helps that he is now working far enough away to get travel time.  I filled my tank two weeks ago tommorow, I have ran errands, we used my car for our camping trip, I have used it for work and anywhere DH and I have gone together....and I still have 1/2 a tank left!

http://carneyexploits.blogspot.com

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 2:45 PM In reply to

I drive my car which gets better mileage. I leave a little bit later for work so less stop and go traffic. Also, I don't have to drive an extra 12 blocks to drop the boys off at daycare. The church where the boys go is six blocks directly south of my office so I would drive past my office, drop of the boys and then drive back to my parking lot. Now, with the boys at home this summer, I can skip this extra driving.

Another change is that I am trying to only walk places at noon instead of running errands in the car. Exercise and saving gas! Today, I had lunch and then walked to the bank and back, about 4 blocks each way. Nice walk plus one errand done!

DH is off for the summer no driving to and from work. I have to remind him that his car (Jeep) gets terrible mileage and he really should either combine trips or stay at home. He already drove 3 miles this morning to go to the library and plans on running to Home Depot this afternoon. Should have combined the trips! Plus, he wants to go golfing later. That's another 3 miles! Ugh.

Erika
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 1,065

Create! Repair! Reinvent! Reassess!
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 4:00 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

I also voted "something else". Although I am retired now, when I was working I had an employer-furnished car that I took home. They paid for all the gas and maintenance so my commuting costs were.... drum roll please.... ZERO!

So what's this stuff that I have to pay for my own gas and tires now? I am not used to this abuse! Sniff, sniff.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 4:15 PM In reply to

dh took a lower paying job last jan/Feb, but it is closer to home and provided a company truck.

He had an employer a few years ago that took away all the company vehicles except management and a service guy. As an HVAC field guy, he had to drive a truck for the jobs. Suddenly our expenses went up $250-$300 a month! (and that was before gas prices skyrocketed)

His job search has, and always will, stipulate that a company truck be provided.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 5:06 PM In reply to

I don't work but voted for change habits. I also don't drive during "rush hours" which is part of the changing driving habits.

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Wed, Jun 18 2008 6:28 PM In reply to

I voted for "change habits" which I started about 2 months ago - although, as a teacher, I don't commute during the summer.  Next school year, I'm going to talk to a couple of teachers who live in my area and see if they want to carpool at least a day or two a week; I teach a Taekwon-Do class on Monday and Thursday, so I'd be rather leery about carpooling if there's any chance I'd run late, and the teacher I know who lives closest to me has an 8 year-old son, and I don't know if she'll want to be without her car, just in case - but I'm going to check.

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 8:49 PM In reply to

I can't vote at all Embarrassed dh drives to both jobs and would love to carpool but there's no way he can. He works 1st shift 4a-1:30p at his main job but they only offer car pool and park and ride shuttles starting picking up at 7a getting to his job site at 7:30a three and a half hours after he's scheduled to be there. He can't car pool for his pt job either cause he goes to diffrent sites at diffrent times in the shift and most of them are after 6p when the buses stop running. Most of his co-workers at either job live near us most of them are 10+ miles away on the other side of town. The one that lives near us (2 miles) and works with him takes classes after work so most of the time he can't gaurantee if he'll be able to drive dh home or get a ride from dh.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us