Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When your furniture needs help, what do you do?

Last post Sun, Jun 15 2008 10:49 AM by lviall. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:08 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

When your furniture needs help, what do you do?

What would you think of doing first?

• Buy new (7.1%)
    • Buy good used (10.7%)
    • Dumpster dive (0%)
    • Make do with throws and other camouflage techniques (46.4%)
    • Buy new slipcovers (14.3%)
    • Make your own slipcovers (3.6%)
    • Something else (tell us!) (17.9%)
    • Total Votes: 28
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: When your furniture needs help, what do you do?

My furniture does need help and I am ignoring it's pleas.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:18 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Well, that's one way to handle it. Big Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:21 PM In reply to

If it's an upholstery issue, its gets slip covered, if its structural SO takes care of it.  I buy our furnashings new so that it will last and that has paid off, our dinning room table will be around for generations its so sturdy, glad I made that investment. Our couch was a good buy too, brand new with good classic lines so slip covers are easy to buy, the original upholstery is still in great condition too because I've been slip covering it since the day we got it because our youngest was newborn and a very proficient projectile spitter upper. 

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

It works for awhile. In the time I am ignoring the stuff, we usually find someone getting rid of something we could use or find a good deal either new or used.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:26 PM In reply to

I tried the slipcovers and was checking the used furniture.  We eventually wound up buying something new. 

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:27 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

My vote was "Make do with throws and other camouflage techniques." I usually try to get by for as long as I can.

Brandy, it looks like I should have put another category, something like "Wait it out until something better comes along." I've used that technique, too.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

When I bought new couches 8 years ago, I actually had the foresight to buy an extra yard of fabric (just in case). "Just in case" turned out to be one persistent cat who insisted on using the most visible side as a scratching post. I put some solution to deter the cat on the inside corner, cut off a piece of fabric and re-covered the corner. You can't even tell. The fabric was about $35.00 but that was a lot cheaper than a new set of furniture.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Jun 5 2008 2:52 PM In reply to

After having new furniture which became old furniture over the years, and having cared for a number of dogs with illnesses, I have learned to do the following:

I buy rubber sheeting by the yard at Joann. It is kept behind the cutting counter and you have to ask for it. I used a 40% coupon and bought a part of a bolt, and one time I had a 50% coupon and bought the entire bolt.

I cut this to the size of my mattress and it goes under the sheets, inside sofa and chair cushions, and gets wrapped around any foam I might be using as a cushion. A friend of mine who has little children and many dogs taught me this, although she just cuts pieces and lays them on top of her cushions, then slipcovers. You never know when a child or dog will get sick until they do. Things can just be whisked off and thrown in the washer, extra pieces and slipcovers are always at hand. I have to also admit to using this same method on dog beds when an older dog has continence issues. (There are medications to help that, but that’s another subject altogether.)

So I guess my method is "other" – protecting against problems!

Oh, I also use white or light chenille spreads over the fabric in case exuberant mudpuppies jump up.  :-)

Being in rescue, I was thrilled to find a sofa portraying dogs: Yorkies, Italian Greyhounds, Corgis, in wreathes of roses, so of course, I had to have it. I do decorate with dog themes, pictures, books, statuary and linens, when and if I can find them. Outdoors too, flags and sculptures and stepping stones.

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Thu, Jun 5 2008 3:02 PM In reply to

I break out the needle and tread to stitch together the cushions that are ripped open and scrub the dirty spots.

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us