Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Pest control

Last post Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:40 AM by rtnewnan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 3 2008 5:09 PM

• momof3
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 211

Pest control

Does anyone know of some frugal ways to kill roaches, waterbugs and other household type pests? In the past when we've had a problem, I was able to use bug bombs once, and the problem was solved.  I would also use the roach baits to help.  This past year, we've had some new construction in our area and some of the former wild lots have been cleared.  I've sprayed, bombed and set the baits out, but these critters return.  Maybe they're immune to the spray. 

Thanks for any suggestions! 

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 5:27 PM In reply to

Re: Pest control

Dear Mom of 3, Have you tried beer/bread baits?  Set out narrow jars.  Cover the outsides with paper, secured by a rubber band.  (This is so the roaches can get a foothold, which they may not be able to do on the glasss.)  Smear a little petroleum jelly on the top insdie of the jars, so that the roaches cannot crawl back up.  Fill about 1" with beer.  Add a small slice of bread.  Place a jar whereever you've seen roaches.  Hope this works for you.  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:24 PM In reply to

• momof3
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 211

Thanks, DeborahMichelle!  I'll try the jars.

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 2:24 PM In reply to

My mother swears up and down by boric acid.  Said she killed every roach in our apartment building in Texas using it.  She took the light switch and electrical covers off in every room and dumped it into the wall (turn the electricity off before doing this so you don't accidently shock yourself).  Boric acid is not a dangerous poison like most, although you should try to keep pets and babies out of it.  I was a baby at the time, thus why my mother put it in the walls.  But then, that's where roaches live. 

I have heard that fuller's earth is also effective, although I think that's supposed to be used outside, like around the foundation (about as posionous for pets and babies as the boric acid).  That's good for all sorts of bugs that may try to get into your house. 

Also, you can apply instant grits to ant hills; ants eat the grits, swell up when they get water, and then die.  If they are coming into your house and you can't find the hill, you can use ammonia (Windex, etc.) to spray them.  The ammonia will not only kill the ants, but it completely overpowers the scent trail that they use as a road.  They will not come back in through a hole that's been sprayed with ammonia. 

You can also use ammonia to kill flying things.  I get out my bottle of Windex when we get wasps in the house and I squirt them when they are flying around or have lit somewhere I can't reach.  They will get confused and will either fall to the floor or will lit somewhere low where I can finish them off with the flyswatter (they are very slow after this).  The ammonia will eventually kill them by itself, but I prefer to finish them off and get them out of the house. 

Use a professional exterminator if you have brown recluses, though.  I don't know of anything you can do yourself that will kill them as well as the exterminator's poison.  We had them bad in our house a couple of years ago, but with three months of exterminating, then quarterly extermination, we've got them beat back out of the house (still bad in the barn, though). 

• Fri, Sep 13 2013 5:14 AM In reply to

Well really useful information about pest removal system. It's a very serious problem in our ares in these days and peoples are much worried due to these. We really need to take some positive steps to get control ever these little insects. Super Pest Controllers
    Be a honest person.!!
  • Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:40 AM In reply to

The most cost effective way to get rid of roaches is to purchase professional grade roach control products and learn how to apply it yourself. If you are having some resistance problems you should check out this page The most cost effective way to get rid of roaches is to purchase professional grade roach control products and learn how to apply it yourself. If you are having some resistance problems you should check out this page http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/roaches-c-2.html to see if it can help your problem.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us