Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How long do you use a water filter?

Last post Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:40 PM by Juneflower. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 1 2008 5:55 PM

How long do you use a water filter?

We have pretty gross tap water here (and I am not picky!), and have found a brita water pitcher to be the cheapest and easiest way for us to clean it up. We may have had something installed, but being a military family we knew we wouldn't live here long enough for it to be cost effective.

Our water filter has a little "timer" on it that tells you when to replace the filter. It's not very advanced, and is based on time not actual quantity of water filtered. So, as I was filling it up today I was thinking about how expensive the filters have gotten. I don't generally throw them away when the timer says, b/c I forget to look at it. I usually notice the taste getting worse, and then change.

So, I was wondering if anyone a) knew of some way to somehow make the filters last longer or b) knows of a cheaper way for me to get good tasting water?

Thanks y'all

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 6:24 PM In reply to

Re: How long do you use a water filter?

Dear Pink Lemonade, I use a Brita pitcher, too.  And I am hard-pressed to purchase new filters.  I use one until the taste is worse than our very-good San Francisco tap water.  (I make a periodic taste test.)  Because I am a singleton, this lasts me much longer than it would last a family ....  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

We installed an inexpensive GE water filter at the kitchen tap. It said the filter would need to be replaced every few months.  It's been almost a year and it is still doing it's job.  We only use the filtered water for drinking.  Otherwise, crystal light, coffee, etc. gets made with the hard water and we can't tell the difference.  I would just wait until you notice a distinct change in taste. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 7:32 PM In reply to

I use a PUR water filter that screws onto the water faucet; it has an indicator that is based on use.  When it changes color completely (and I notice) I change the filter.  Since I also use the kitchen faucet this is on for the dog, having it on the faucet is much more convenient.  I used one in my last home too, and when I moved I just unscrewed it, drained the excess water, put the original faucet fitting back on, and took the filter with me.

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 9:36 PM In reply to

I also have a PUR faucet mount and just use it for drinking water... not for cooking or for humidifiers (winter). The filters are expensive and a 3 pack will stretch over a long time (I'm not a big water drinker). Embarrassed

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:21 AM In reply to

I forgot to tell you, Pink Lemonade, that like the other posters, I only use the Brita pitcher water for drinking.  I use tap water for coffee, tea, watering plants, washing dishes, etc.

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 10:24 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

karenteacher:
    I use a PUR water filter that screws onto the water faucet; it has an indicator that is based on use.

My Brita faucet filter is the same way. There's a small indicator light that turns red when the filter needs to be changed. I usually use it a little past that time.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 12:15 PM In reply to

Smae as Karenteacher, we use a PUR water filter that screws onto the faucet.  It has a red indicator that slowly fills on the front, and when its full the filter needs to be replaced.  I can taste the difference immediately if the filter needs replacing.

Unlike everyone else, aside from just drinking water we use our filtered water for coffee and tea as well.  It cuts a lot of the bitter taste in the coffee, and oddly enough we've both stopped getting indigestion from coffee now that we use the filtered water instead. One filter lasts for months in our house.

• Tue, Jun 3 2008 12:52 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

lucky to have good water here so don't need one.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Apr 24 2010 5:51 AM In reply to

• bozzy369
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 24 2010
    • Posts 1

ok,heres a secret to making those pur faucet filters last,i broke one open one time and noticed all the charcoal and things used to filter the water ,the filter still looked good .so why was it blinking red ?Maybe it wasn't the filter stopping up but the filter housing .Theres really little rubber washers and tubes ,very easy to clog with the tap water today over time ,So I took out the filter and put the housing back together and ran it open with hot water.The thing spit and sputtered and then it broke open,I then put the filter back in and the light was back to green again.I have now got over a year with this filter as long as keep doing this process every time it shows red.the water tastes great and i see no sign of contaminant .I guess whatever runs the little light will wear out eventually at that time I will replace that filter.save your money try it!
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us