Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Father's Day Help

Last post Wed, Jun 11 2008 3:24 PM by eyrehead. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 1 2008 9:29 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Father's Day Help

Father's day is around the corner. HELP! I need affordable gift ideas for a man who has few conventional hobbies, likes to tinker with his truck, house remodeling and his yard and rarely goes beyond the small town he lives in.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 11:16 AM In reply to

Re: Father's Day Help

Deaar Brandy, A nice set of Allen wrenches might be an idea -- check to see whether he has "too many" already.  I know that they are used in tinkering with vehicles.  Sorry if this is too obvious to be worthwhile.  Yours in HIm, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 7:48 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

The Dollar Stretcher has an interesting idea for a gift this week.

• Mon, Jun 2 2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• Darby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 2 2008
    • Posts 1

I like to give my Dad gifts that will tap into his emotions (even if he doesn't want me to see them).  I gave my Dad a Cake and a Prayer for his birthday and his eyes welled up with tears.  The cool thing about the gift was that the website had pre-written gift messages.  I was surprised at the quality of the gift and the price.  It included the gift card, cake (which was so good we all wanted more) and a framed scripture I selected for my Dad.  It had his name on it and was signed from me.  After a gift like that, I wondered what I would give him for Father's Day, but I just found out, I can order the cake only with another gift card.  Check it out at www.cakeandaprayer.com.   I think there's a discount code floating around the internet for a discount on Father's Day gifts
  • Mon, Jun 2 2008 4:24 PM In reply to

Awesome idea Darby...

I showed the link to my sis and we're going to do our own version of it. Sis loves to bake and has a freecycle frame... I'll spend time looking for the passage. (We are both $-strapped). 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:16 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

Well, I'm practical-minded so I'll suggest something based on that he "likes to tinker with his truck". If he doesn't already have a set how about a set of ignition wrenches. Go to your (or his) favorite tool-buying web site and search on "ignition wrenches".

What these are is is set of very small wrenches in some really oddball sizes. They are not something he is going to use every day, but every time he needs a small odd wrench he'll go there first.

Don't ask how I know this.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:37 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

well, I have two guys to fiqure out who don't need anything so I got fil the second season of black sheep squadron from us and a electronic crossword puzzle game from the kids.   dh said where his friend works is getting an awesome deal on hole saws. a good brand 75% off for $38 so I told him to get them. won't be a surprise but at least something he wants.   he couldn't think of anything he wanted  for fathers day.
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Jun 8 2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Walt,

I don't think there is a tool he could use that he doesn't have. He has three sheds and a back room of the house full of tools, parts, stuff to work with, ect.

He really is difficult to buy for.

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 1:10 PM In reply to

Well, for my husband, he'll be getting a Dale Jr. ball cap he's been wanting, as well as a Dale Jr. t-shirt. For my step-dad, who can afford to buy anything and everything he could possibly want, my mom suggested baking him a batch of cupcakes and a nice card. Simple enough. For my father in law, I think we're going to get him a big bag of charcoal, some wood chips, a few cedar planks, etc. for grilling. He LOVES to grill out using his charcoal grill. Big Smile I'm hoping to get FIL's stuff for less than $20-25.

~*~Angie~*~

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 4:17 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

Brandy:

Walt,

I don't think there is a tool he could use that he doesn't have. He has three sheds and a back room of the house full of tools, parts, stuff to work with, ect.

He really is difficult to buy for.

Sounds like me! While I don't have three sheds (just one largish one) I do have a lot of tools. Even use most of them once in a while!

What we're doing is taking him to a dinner theater to see "The Sound Of Music". Not exactly cheap @ $44/seat but he'll like it. But it seems like a good deal for dinner and a show. Many restaurants you only get dinner for that price.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us