Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Best place for cleaners, paper products, etc.?

Last post Fri, Oct 23 2009 2:59 PM by Linda Cecil. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 31 2008 11:56 PM

• rowan25
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 1 2008
    • South Louisiana
    • Posts 15

Inflation fighter [IF] Best place for cleaners, paper products, etc.?

Hello all,

It's my first time here.  I've been trying not to buy my cleaners, paper goods, etc at my local grocery.  Instead I've been going to Kmart because I had heard stores like that are cheaper.  But is there anywhere else that is better than that?  I do tend to be brand loyal on some things, like my Pine Sol.  But on others, store brands would be fine.  Or even make it myself, I suppose.  Anyway I'm trying to trim my grocery/household budget and that seemed like a good place to start.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

rowan 

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 12:41 AM In reply to

Re: Best place for cleaners, paper products, etc.?

sometimes vineager works on windows, it is 1/2 cup vineager with 2 cup water put in a spray bottle and have fun...:)

Ps. I want to learn recipies also for cleaning?   And welsome to the forum

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 9:37 AM In reply to

Welcome, rowan!   I like to buy my cleaning supplies at either Dollar General or WalMart, maybe Walgreen's if the item's on coupon.  I only clean with ammonia, powdered cleanser (like Ajax or Comet) and an occasional Brill-o type pad.  I love the smell of Lysol lemon but I try to make do with lemon-scented ammonia as it's much cheaper, so I hear ya on the brand name stuff.

I use ammonia and a little dish liquid in the bucket of hot water for floors, straight up ammonia in the toilet and let it soak a little before brushing, a spray bottle of ammonia and water mix for the toilet seat and the outside part, kitchen counters, stove, etc. and windows (when I do them...) and powdered cleanser on sinks and the bathtub.  I can get by fairly cheap on cleaning products...Liz

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 9:56 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I watch the sale ads for those things to get them at the best prices.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Apr 1 2008 10:33 AM In reply to

• rowan25
    • Not Ranked
    • South Louisiana
    • Posts 15

Yes, this is the kind of information I'm looking for!!  Smile  Thanks everyone who has posted so far.

Any thoughts on what type of stores are better?  Walmart type stores or drugstores or dollar stores?  Or is it regional in nature?

TIA,

rowan 

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 11:38 AM In reply to

Dear Rowan, In my part of the world (San Francisco, CA), teh best prices on household cleanign items are either at Walgreens (most often) or at Rite-Aid (sometimes), on loss-leader (a low price advertised in teh "weekly circular").  This is also true for TP (Walgreens sells a Scott tissue duplicate called the Big Roll), & aluminum foil.  (I use cloth napkins & cloth to wipe up spills.  I only use paper towels -- a very small bit at a time -- to smudge oil around a pan before I cook in it.  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 11:54 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Vinegar, baking soda, Borax and soap make excellent and cheap cleaners.  I find the prices on these items to be better at Wal-mart.

• Wed, Apr 30 2008 9:30 PM In reply to

In my town, I find that I get the best deals for these things at the groceries, provided I use coupons and match them with sales.   I do occasionally find good sales at Menards, which is one of the big-box home improvement stores.

It really comes down to knowing your prices ....

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Apr 30 2008 10:55 PM In reply to

• rowan25
    • Not Ranked
    • South Louisiana
    • Posts 15

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I've started buying those types of things at Kmart and now I'm going to compare with my previous grocery bills and see which is better.

Brandy,  I'm not surprised that you're finding Walmart to be better with prices.  But I just can't make myself go into one even though there is one practically right across the street!!!  It's always so crowded and noisy and just annoying in every way that I can't stand it.  Sometimes it's worth the extra money to not have to go there!  Big Smile  But I am interested in some recipes for homemade cleaners.  Any thoughts on the best combinations?  When I do a search, I'm overwhelmed by my options.  And with a 4 year old and an 11 month old, my poor brain is overwhelmed enough!  Stick out tongue

Thanks!!

rowan

• Thu, May 1 2008 9:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

My expenses are much higher than it was in 2007. Last year I was able to keep expenses low and avoid regular trips to Wal-mart. My expenses are now $600 a month and that's with shopping at Wal-mart every month and a half to stock up on cheaper priced items.

These are the solutions I use:

All purpose cleaner - 1/2 part vinegar to 1 part water, I like to add a couple of drops of essential oil, adding lemon or tea tree adds to the disinfecting power

Stronger general cleaner- 2 tablespoons of Borax and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap poured into a spray bottle of water, I add a couple drops of tea tree oil into this solution

Scouring powder- if I need to disinfect and scrub then I use equal parts of Borax and baking soda but for non disinfecting scrubbing like the stove top, I use salt.

Floor cleaner- vinegar and hot water work well for some floors while others do well with a few drops of liquid soap in a bucket of hot water.

Tub cleaner- I use a paste of dish liquid and baking soda to remove soap scum.

Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us