Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Thifty Tuesday May 27th $$$$$$$$$$$$ Stretching

Last post Wed, May 28 2014 10:12 AM by Gayla57. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 27 2014 6:50 AM

Thifty Tuesday May 27th $$$$$$$$$$$$ Stretching

Good Morning, Welcome to Thrifty Tuesday, Share your plans to stretch your $$$$$$ today, Babs

• Tue, May 27 2014 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: Thifty Tuesday May 27th $$$$$$$$$$$$ Stretching

Good Morning, I am so happy that this is posting.
    Yesterday, I couldnt start a post, kept getting the oops message.

We had a great Monday and weekend. Spent more money than planned but was blessed with some nice free things. Our friend is moving , she gave us a really nice fire pit, an outdoor hanging candle holder. a smaller lantern, screen house , two window fans. All in wonderful condition. I am so thankful to get these. I had wanted a fire pit but just didnt see it in the budget.

We had nearly all the family here for a cookout. We had hot dogs, pulled pork, chips, cole slaw and baked beans. Then the kids made smores with the fire pit. I got a lot of work done in the garden.

Now another day of working. Everyone have a wonderful day, Babs 

• Tue, May 27 2014 7:57 AM In reply to

I am working tonight, today have a lot of stuff around the house to do.  I am also hoping to watch a movie before work, we had rented one, but then I spent a long time waiting for my son after work last night. They had a small crew on, with lots of sales. So we didn't watch it last night.

Stretching by using the food up we have and going to the store tomorrow when it is double coupon days. 

Have a great day! 

• Tue, May 27 2014 9:56 AM In reply to

Back from Daddy's.  I try so hard not to get upset with him, but I had to walk out in the hall today to cool off.  I don't know why he fights so hard against changing his underthings but he does.  This morning he hid the clean ones from me.  But I have them coded in the waistband so I knew.  He got very mad at me but I just started humming so he calmed down.  Momma says he used to hum to us and whistle to us when we were babies.  Maybe that's why he is humming so much now.

DH goes back to work today.  All the clothes are done and I only have a glass or two and some flatware to wash up.  I made out the June budget last night so that's done.  Waiting on the bank statement to get the checkbook balanced.  I think I have a subtraction mistake.

I need to get something from the freezer for supper tonight but nothing strikes my fancy yet.

retired 

• Tue, May 27 2014 1:04 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

We had a busy weekend with a lot of activity. Picnic's on both Sunday and Monday so not a lot was done around the house. Saturday was spent with all 4 of the grandchildren. The 6 month old is teething and the 1 month old woke up every time he fussed. Yikes! Spending time with all 4 is quite the workout.

Beautiful day here and warm.  

We leave on Sunday for vacation and I have plenty of packing and ironing to do before then. Yes, I still iron some things when I go away. House work and dinner.

No money to be spent today unless my husband takes the Jeep in for an oil change that needs to done.

• Tue, May 27 2014 1:25 PM In reply to

Spent a $37 on groceries today but still under budget for now. No other spending but  gas for dh for work. A few dishes to do, go the fridge cleaned out and washed down so not much planned for the rest of the day. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

my blog throughthekitchen window.wordpress.com
  • Tue, May 27 2014 1:26 PM In reply to

Retired, I feel your frustration about your father. I have some altogether different issues with my mother, but they're frustrating, too. Tongue Tied

Was having trouble posting the last day or two, then I came on today to find that tomorrow our new forum will go live. I'm really sorry to see all of our great old posts go (and who knows how long it will take me to get back up to a post count of over 2,600! LOL!), but it will be so nice to be able to make comments without any technical problems. Well worth it, I think. Big Smile

It's a bit on the warm side today, mid-80s and humid along with it. I need to go to Walgreen's to buy Mom a new cane to replace the one she left at Walmart the other day. I feel sort of responsible for that as I should have been keeping a closer eye on things. Mom said Walgreen's is where she got it, so hopefully I can find an identical replacement. Other than that, I don't think there will be any money out today, unless I find my Walgreen brand probiotic on sale, in which case I'll stock up a bit. They really, really help me with my IBS issues--as long as I don't forget to take one every day! Stick out tongue

I think dinner tonight will be spaghetti, I've got several containers of sauce in the freezer. An easy meal, with salad and garlic toast alongside.

Caught up the laundry this morning, and cleaned the downstairs bathroom, which gets dirty a lot quicker lately with the second litter box we added recently. Cat litter all over the place, and it drives me crazy. But I love my kitties, so it's worth it. Smile

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Tue, May 27 2014 1:53 PM In reply to

Good afternoon! Back to work after a busy weekend of family and fun. All in all, pretty stretchy as most of the picnics were potluck so I was happy to bring fruit salad or a tossed salad. End of the month so tight time for the budget!

We had fun with my family on Saturday and then DH side on Monday. My dad stayed with us, nice to have him here for a visit. He and the kids really enjoy spending time together, even though he isn't very active, he enjoys visiting and my kiddos do like to talk!

Caught up on laundry, just need to do bedding from the weekend. House needs a vacuum, too. Tonight I have Pilates. DH is planning on chicken on the grill, tossed salad and I'll cut up more watermelon, too.

I had my yearly physical, all reports were good! Happy and blessed with health, I need to appreciate it and keep at my exercising and eating well...most of the time, LOL! This weekend was a little on the "good food" side but back on track this week!

Erika
  • Tue, May 27 2014 2:45 PM In reply to

No money out for food today, after all the prepping I did yesterday for the week! I ate my hard boiled eggs and yogurt for breakfast, corn on the cob as a snack (weird, but its a holdover from childhood), will have an egg salad sandwich with homemade potato salad for lunch. I have some melon as a snack for later.

I'll have to pay for parking today, but now that DH's school year is over, I only have to drive to work once a week. DH will drive me and pick me up the other 4 days of the week, which is a relief. DH's teaching schedule was very heavy this semester so I was paying daily rates for parking 4 times a week and it was getting really expensive.

I did end up spending about $100 last night doing online shopping at Kohl's. I took advantage of some coupon codes and their clearance section to get some really great Christmas presents for 5 family members! I'll get $20 in Kohl's cash to spend later in the summer, which I'm sure I'll use to get some more Christmas presents, so really it was about $80 for 5 people. I got Nike shirts and Nike socks for 2 boy cousins, a self-heating commuter mug and digital thermometer for an uncle who works constructions and love to grill, some beautiful silver and turquoise earrings for an aunt, and a Big and Tall polo shirt for FIL.

I know it sounds nuts to be Christmas shopping when its 100 degrees outside, but I will be taking several months in unpaid leave once the baby gets here and I'm expecting things to get lean towards the holidays, so I'm trying to get things like gifts squared away while we still have my paycheck!

• Tue, May 27 2014 4:06 PM In reply to

I figure shop when you can!  esp with deals.  I am just finding it harder with the kids to shop ahead and dh and me don't really need anything.  nor does anyone else.   

not a stretchy week so far.  rotating teachers strike here so schools closed here monday so with memorial day in the states think lots of people took long weekends because it was quiet at work  not many samples and I was doing soup when it was rainy and chilly.  had my friends kids so when the kids were at their textile class went to ikea for breakfast with them , met a friend too.  then to a nature house event and the cheap theater to see peabody and sherman. can be the boys bday presents. experiences rather then presents since they didn't have kids parties just family ones.

cooked the spiral ham I got half price with corn and baby potatoes.   have lots of leftovers for tonight. had a guides district meeting .   ran a bunch of errands..turns out dh didn't put the gravity dvd back in the case so have to go back to the library. took my mil to the doc for prescription renewal and she did some errands while I did the same. dollarama for sympathy cards, millet etc.  dh aunt passed last week and my boss at work mom passed.  found out that dh aunt is not having a reg service seems she didn't do anything with her moms ashes from a long time ago so both going in the river.  they suggested putting my fil ashes too at the same time but he wants to go with my mil and as she says not ready to go yet lol.  must be a family thing all wanting ashes to go into the river. 

they have their daughter destination wedding in a couple of weeks so nothing will happen until after that so don't have to worry about any services for now. just will send a card.  have work paperwork to mail.    got gas and a car wash and need to stop at safeway too for basics bread etc.  wish I could have a day off just vegging but not going to happen with kids lol lots of kids activities.  guides tonight need to pay $10 for a weekend event too.   maybe next week vegging time.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us