Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cheapest Foods

Last post Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:13 AM by Juneflower. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:01 AM

Cheapest Foods

The cost of food keeps rising. Bargains and meal plans become more important to keep costs down. What are the cheapest foods you buy to create good meals?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:52 AM In reply to

Re: Cheapest Foods

This is a hard one,  Aldis has had some good buys on baby carrots, 689 cents a bag.  Ham is cheap this week so stocking up on that. Eggs are a good buy, on sale about one time a month. They keep for weeks so stock up on them.  Babs

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:00 PM In reply to

Hmm - my first thoughts are stir fry  and curry meals that use up bits and pieces of things, plus things like carrots that are usually inexpensive, served over rice.  I just made black bean burgers for my lunch (so DH could have the rest of the meat burgers).   Stretching a meal into two by adding extra vegs, etc. 

Soups in cooler weather, especially potato soup.  Omelets and fried potatoes. 

Ellen B.
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:25 PM In reply to

Cabbage has long been one of my go to cheap foods. I find it extremely versatile. My newest favorite recipe to feed a crowd inexpensively is found at http://busycooks.about.com/od/sausagerecipes/r/cabbagejambalay.htm. To cut cost even more, I use dehydrated pepper and celery from my stock made when they weren't expensive. The recipe takes well to variation and substitution too. AM
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:06 PM In reply to

Homemade pasta, biscuits, creamed anything on toast (chicken, hamburger, eggs etc.).
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 8:28 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Dry beans. Cook them and freeze them for later use. Refried beans, beans and rice, rice and beans, soups, chilis...

Potatoes. So many different ways to cook them, and you can usually get ten pounds for $3 when they're on sale.

Eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, or homemade pancakes. Pass on the packaged cereals.

• Thu, Apr 17 2014 9:13 AM In reply to

Lentils, because they can be cooked, sprouted, or both. My challenge is finding substitutes for salt in beans: I'm using flavored vinegars but expensive lemons still work best. They're more versatile than the pintos and Great Northerns which were my traditional budget mainstays. Carrots, cabbage, and homegrown green onions round out the list. Good news: if you chill your beans, the starch is chemically changed to a variety resistant to digestion, good news to folks with metabolic disorders. The catch is that you can't reheat them past lukewarm or most, but not all, will resume metabolic activity. Soon as allergy season is over, beans will return to the menu. Can't afford to get allergic to good food so pollen season is reserved for junk food, except veggies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us