Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Easter Basket

Last post Thu, Apr 24 2014 11:17 PM by tracyinmn. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 9 2014 8:01 AM

Frugal Easter Basket

Each year, we pull out the Easter baskets and fill them for the family. What do you add to yours to make it frugal and fun for the kids and loved ones?

Frugal Easter Baskets    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010402g.cfm

The Cheap Easter Basket   http://community.stretcher.com/blogs/pat_v/archive/2014/03/28/the-cheap-easter-basket.aspx

Alternate Easter Basket Ideas   http://community.stretcher.com/blogs/name_brand_vs_store_brand__putting_them_to_the_test/archive/2012/04/02/alternate-easter-basket-ideas.aspx

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Wed, Apr 9 2014 4:47 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Easter Basket

When my girls were young, I would try to make even the container that I put their Easter treats in something that that can actually use. For instance, I would purchase them a pair of shorts for summer and I would just baste up the legs and put their treats in the shorts...or if they needed new sneakers, I would put their candy in those. I won't even tell you what my youngest said the time I used new undies! LOL
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 2:45 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

We used the same baskets from year to year. My kids would place them on the kitchen table the night before.

I bought a couple of yards of tulle one year instead of the messy disposable grass and that too was recycled from year to year. 

We filled them with candy and small summer toys like jumpropes, kites, balls, and bubbles.

I hate to date myself but when they were really small I would shop at Woolworths for Easter.  

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:52 PM In reply to

I do reuse baskets.. . try and save buying after season sales but turns out that a mouse has been snacking on new and old stuff so need to buy more. so not frugal

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 10:03 PM In reply to

We have used the samebaskets since the children were babies. Our Easter baskets all contain a couple of hard-boiled eggs, a couple of homemade chocolate covered marshallow eggs. some Dove milk chocolate eggs, a Dove bunny, a few Peeps and some jelly beans.Youngest DD and DH get a few Reese's eggs, but I don't, because I don't like them - - which never ceases to amaze the 2 of them.

FYI: Dove chocolate is gluten-free.

• Thu, Apr 24 2014 11:17 PM In reply to

We re-use all the baskets, too.  I bought candy and a few things, colored pencils for my 7 yo, a little basket of shells for my 9 yo $2 at CVS, and lip gloss for the next three.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us