Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Spring Decluttering 2014

Last post Thu, Jun 12 2014 10:59 AM by udwe. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 26 2014 12:36 PM In reply to

Re: Spring Decluttering 2014

Dropped off three old mattresses at my brother's for spring clean up, wanted to have them out of the way for taking the garage sale stuff out of the garage, and also more room to organize for my spring clean up next week.  I am putting out an old couch, broken microwave that started on fire, and I am hoping they will take some roofing material, although they say no construction material. I have one pack of shingles that have been in the shed for 20 years.

I dropped off garage sale stuff, out of the garage.  Feels good to have gotten rid of two carloads that have been here since fall, after the last middle school sale.  They make about $3000 towards a trip to DC, it is worthwhile but lotsof work.  We save the best stuff from garage sale to garage sale, and donate therest to St. Vincent De Paul. 

• Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:01 PM In reply to

Tracy, if they don't take the shingles, you could put them on Freecycle. Someone might need a few for a dog house, well house or some other small project.
    Carol
    western NC
  • Sat, Apr 26 2014 5:42 PM In reply to

I am hoping to get rid of a washer and 2 dryers that have taken up housekeeping on the back deck. My niece and her friend will be having a yard sale on May 1st so hope they will make a little money I just want the stuff out of my way. I am also going to donate a chair that is sitting in the living room that used to be at the lake it's in good shape I would just rather have my space. I also have a small desk they can have if they want it for the sale I just want to reclaim space. The desk is in the kitchen and if I can get rid of it I would like to replace it with a rod iron bistro set.
  • Sun, Apr 27 2014 12:27 PM In reply to

dh took ds down to the game store here and traded in his skylanders video game stuff for credit. got $58 dollars worth.. ugh what you think what was spent on them.  at least he has some credit for new games and no hassle of trying to sell them.

since there is no classes for a couple of weeks..more free time less running around so get working on my decluttering plans.  need to get some rubbermaid tubs too for better organizing.   dd room needs a good clean out and clean too.

gave a bag to the food bank when the new head of food banks came and talked to moms group. he was hired from out of the country and is really taking charge and making changes....like lots of fresh produce, real food not processed, getting people help to get their lifes better to get off the system. teach them to cook etc. food banks started about 30yrs ago and he said when you see 3rd generation food bank users there is something wrong.  things like stop giving formula to kids over 1yr when they are supposed to get milk. apparently lots of 2yrs old were getting formula. anyways good to know because I know so many abusing the system. and bitching about it. 

• Sat, May 3 2014 12:30 PM In reply to

Carole, Good idea, we didn't put them out, they were at the back of the shed. 

Decluttered the couch and an old baby gate in the spring pick up.  Found out my two little girls say they never want to wear sweatpants, so that is an item I will give away all but a pair or two.  I want to look through my videos and give away the ones for very young children to the libray book sale.

• Fri, May 16 2014 11:17 AM In reply to

dh and ds cut up the sofa bed loveseat and put it in the trailer for the dump.  more things to go in there.  but one big thing gone out of the house. moved the old tv armoire in its place will hold craft stuff.  dh had straightened up his office so electronic things need to go. 

did the big book sort so have a bunch to give away. veggietales and ten commandments mysterys will be donated to church library.  box of books for a teacher I know kindergarten. more to go.  have them sorted educational, series  age etc. going to diff homes.

lots more to do just the energy to do it lol

• Fri, May 16 2014 1:23 PM In reply to

I dropped off ten girl dresses and a few other clothes at the home of a fellow church member who has a 7 week old girl.  

• Mon, May 19 2014 12:16 AM In reply to

the trailer is offically packed with stuff to go to the dump and apparently people have been adding to it. costs $20 to dump a mattress now apparently and we have the one from the sofa bed.  dh said we should just dump it at the apt building at the end of the block since they always have furniture etc now at their dumpster.   does explain why the garage light kept going off in the last week. 

next project is summer clothes!

• Tue, May 20 2014 8:14 PM In reply to

Martha-Apartment owners get really hacked off at nonresidents who use their dumpsters. This could land you in jail. Does your landfill have an Amnesty Day or Cleanup Day when you can dump for free? Is there a mattress rebuilder in town? Yes, these exist: next county has one. If the mattress is still OK, call the local women's shelter and tell tgem up front that it has NO bedbugs and has been sprayed. Ditto drug rehab programs where someone may be "graduating" into independent living. Don't forget Freecycle.

I'm trying to sell a few things but only the BBQ smoker has gone. It's breaking my heart to let my vintage green & beige scales go but they don't do well on uneven floors and they take up space. Next step is my backlog if sewing and mending. I detest sewing and especially this plastic Chinese Singer which tangles thread and can't half wind a bobbin. Boss man still has his mama's '60s New Home which needs repairs and I'm musing on having those done. Unfortunately, he's using that classic for a printer stand...

• Sat, May 24 2014 12:11 AM In reply to

the apt building near us has gone to pot since the ambulances moved out. so always furniture at their dumpster.   the dump didn't charge dh for the mattress though he told them about it so only $15 for the load.  it was just a thin one from the sofa bed.  there is a lot of free recycling here but there is always things that go to the dump.

got rid of at least 80 books between teacher at kids old school and what I bought to homelearners but they will give back what they don't want. so with friends and just the free box or library etc should get rid of the rest.  put the sample stuff in a bag and will use the box to put all the books in so they are off the floor.

Page 2 of 3 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us