Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Financial Priorities

Last post Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:39 PM by tracyinmn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 2 2014 10:20 AM

Financial Priorities

Some things are important and some things aren't. When you are dealing with finances, how can you tell what should be a focus and what shouldn't. You look at your budget and wonder what to save, what things should be spent on.

What are your financial priorities right now?

Are you looking at changing those to improve your finances? Planning to save more, spend less, cutting certain things out of your life?

$ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sun, Mar 2 2014 3:12 PM In reply to

Re: Financial Priorities

We only have our mortgage debt ..I want to put more into our savings account which would be our #1 financial priority..I'm also looking into long term foods by adding more edible foods to our landscape..I feel that growing and adding food will financially help everyone down the road..as food prices rise it will in deed affect you financially..So I see it as my next financial priority.
  • Sun, Mar 2 2014 3:35 PM In reply to

Right now savings are a big priority although I am payng debt down as fast as we can.

We NEED a new refrigerator, stove, and central air compressor.  We also need to do some structural repairs to the house. (We have a support beam rotting under the back room)  I want to pay cash for most of these things. I think the fridge and a/c compressor will help save some money monthly since we are using window units right now which are energy suckers and the fridge is 25 years old so is not energy efficient either.

retired 

• Sun, Mar 2 2014 4:50 PM In reply to

Retired: Energy efficient or now (frig) I still think it's best to run it until it dies. The new model you get will not be as well made (last as long). JMO We have little debt so our priority is saving for the unexpected things that come down the road in retirement. Tho we 'need' a sofa, a stove, new kitchen floor, none of these things is a priority. More a 'want' than a 'need'. Things are fine as they are.
  • Sun, Mar 16 2014 4:39 PM In reply to

I replaced my old side by side that came with my house with a much smaller one with a freezer on top that holds a pizza. My electric bill dropped a lot and the room is much cooler.  I think sometimes it is worth it to replace old appliances, depending on age and condition. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us