Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Ham leftovers

Last post Mon, Feb 17 2014 11:39 AM by pmburk. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 30 2014 1:51 PM

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

Ham leftovers

Planning my menu and I am looking for a new way to use ham leftovers. Any ideas?

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 7:17 PM In reply to

Re: Ham leftovers

Cook with onion, garlic, green beans and sliced potatoes ... makes sort of a soup. (even better if you still have the ham bone.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jan 30 2014 9:09 PM In reply to

You could make hash with it too. Or scalloped potatoes with ham. Or cube it up and add to mac and cheese. Or slice up and use for breakfast meat. Jill
  • Fri, Jan 31 2014 1:10 AM In reply to

• Sea
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 23 2013
    • Posts 874

My grandma would layer mashed, applesauce or apples and ham and bake it in a casserole. It is delicious.

• Sat, Feb 1 2014 9:27 PM In reply to

I cop some ham to add to scrambled eggs, add to bean soup,  add to mac and cheese, ham sandwiches, grind up for ham salad. Put in baked beans, Babs

• Sat, Feb 1 2014 10:56 PM In reply to

my mom had layered ham turkey and stovetop stuffing in a loaf pan and cook .. you may have to add gravy or soup ..it was good.
  • Sat, Feb 1 2014 10:57 PM In reply to

also think there is recipes for ham loaf on the site..grind up the ham and add mayo etc. for sandwiches or making an actual loaf.
  • Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

A favorite recipe here is Mac & Cheese with Ham & Peas.  Make your usual Mac & Cheese (even the box type), then stir in 1 cup each of diced ham and frozen green peas.  Bake for 15-20 minutes (or microwave for about 3-4 minutes) to warm the ham and cook the peas.

I also make a ham spread by grinding 1/2 pound of left-over ham and mixing it with 8 oz. of softened cream cheese and 2 oz. of sliced pimientos.  I "grind" the ham in my food processor and then add the cream cheese and continue to process until fairly smooth.  I stir in the pimientos by hand since I don't want them pulverized.  Add some milk, cream, or even yogurt to thin the spread if it's too thick. We love this on pumpernickel bread, but it's just as good on buns, English muffins, or even biscuits. You can thin it down even more and use it as a dip.

I pinned a ham loaf recipe that turned out pretty good.  It came from the Taste of Home website -- Ham Loaf recipe .

And, along the line of the Mac & Cheese above, you can add diced, sliced, or shredded ham to a scalloped potato dish.

• Mon, Feb 17 2014 11:39 AM In reply to

• pmburk
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 16 2013
    • DFW, Texas
    • Posts 109

I know I'm late to this thread, but wanted to add my .02 anyway. I love to use leftover ham mixed with scalloped or hash browned potatoes, as a casserole. Also makes a great topping for homemade pizza, an addition to a grilled cheese sandwich, pasta carbonara, quiche, breakfast casserole, eggs benedict. Tons of uses for leftover ham!

I also save any leftover ham, even if it is just a tiny amount, and freeze it to season my pinto beans when I cook them.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us